New to forums just bought a vstar 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

New to forums just bought a vstar 1100

Hi all, i started riding last spring after buying a 2013 vstar 250 to learn on. I laid her down third day on the road with minimal damage to the bike and some bruises i continued on through a cold wet summer and put about 4000 miles on it. I live in a rural area that is a prime example of the canadian shield, lots of rocky hilly area with the pines so its very easy to "get lost" and go riding for three hours. I found that i rode at the bikes limits from pretty much 2 months in so decided it was time to upgrade and i only wanted to upgrade once. I am buying a used 2007 vstar 1100 custom with 2k miles on it and am pumped. I made the mistake of going on an after market accessories site last night and am glad i didnt have a credit card handy. The bike is bare bones and first thing i was thinking of doing was a batwing windshield. I would also like to do an exhaust upgrade to give it a little more umph to the sound. I have to be careful on this side because we have decibel laws here but at the same time i dont want to purr down the highway without people knowing that i am coming. Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:49 AM

Garage
Adrian, have a look at my pics. The only thing missing on them is my mustang seats. The pic you posted in your intro shows a classic rather than a custom. Do you know if the po changed the fenders to give it the classic look? This is important cause some of the goodies you may want are model specific.

Are you thinking of going full exhaust or slip on? My exhaust is the Vance+Hines classic 2 slip ons. They give the bike a very nice rumble at low rpm and they can bark when you twist the throttle. A full exhaust system will need a rejetting of the carbs, not so with slip ons. I'm installing a pods kit in the spring to give the bike a little more umph, so I'll be rejetting at the same time.

I also have the Memphis shades batwing on my ride. If you thinking of getting this one; the only sound system that comes for it is the Hogtunes. So if your looking at getting a receiver you may want to look at another brand of fairing. And finally, the seat. You may find out rather quickly that the OEM seat isn't as confy as it looks. I changed mine for a mustang set up and find it comfortable. Other options are the Ultimate (Canadian made), Corbin ... Ride the bike for a while to see if you like the seat if not change is required. If you're interested, we could get meet up and ride to Mont Tremblant and back. That ride is just long enough to let you know how the seat is. There's a few good shops in our area to go shopping at and the prices are quite competitive.

Sorry for the long winded reply but I think it'll give you some things to ponder.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Yep thats a classic not a custom but its cool none the less. I would start with simple upgrades first over the batwing and stuff. Like exahsut, intake, and other ideas. Decide how you want the bike to turn out otherwise you end up spending money on things you have already bought such as handlebars and other things. LOL

Whats the max decible thats allowed where you are for exhaust? I know mine is loud enough to wake the neighbors so I push it around the corned in the early mornings to start and warm.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 12:50 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from Northwest Illinois. I would agree that you should put some miles on the bike as is before you decide to buy mods and which ones to buy. Most of us have different likes and dislikes and if you're going to spend a lot of time on your bike you want it to perform the way you like. Enjoy the bike, enjoy the forum, post often and ride safe.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

exhaust mods

The one thing I am thinking I want for sure is exhaust mods. I had idiot drivers pull out in front of me three times this summer that resulted in heavy breaking and in one case frantic lane change. I am not sure if the exhaust on the bike has mods on it as yet I have not started it but I will find out soon enough when I pick it up.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM

Garage
So what are you looking for, slip ons or full exhaust? Like I said, I have slip ons and really like them. If and when I change them, I'll be getting the Cobra Longshots. As for the V+H Classic II's that are on my bike; they passed the db test in Quebec but failed the baffle law. It's a archaic law that we have to live with for a while still. I looked at your pic and it looks like the exhaust is stock.

2009 Stratoliner S

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
So what are you looking for, slip ons or full exhaust? Like I said, I have slip ons and really like them. If and when I change them, I'll be getting the Cobra Longshots. As for the V+H Classic II's that are on my bike; they passed the db test in Quebec but failed the baffle law. It's a archaic law that we have to live with for a while still. I looked at your pic and it looks like the exhaust is stock.
I was just about to post the question to you to see if you could tell. I would prefer to keep it simple so I assume slip ons
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
I just found the Vance pipes you have and they seem like a fair price, is it a simple matchup with the stock pipes?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 PM

Garage
Then may I suggest the V+H classic II's. The shop I got them from is Dream Cycles in Ottawa. Frank and Lise are super bike people and they will give you the best service anywhere. Another thing I thought of on the safety side is a nice loud air horn. That little meep meep of a horn wouldn't scare a squirrel in the feeder . I'll also suggest a nice set of highway bars. I've got those on my bike and let me tell ya that the horn gets more attention from the cagers than the pipes. If you'd like to see my bike and hear the pipes and horn, drop me a pm.

2009 Stratoliner S

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I'm going with the vance and hines. The highway bars seem to be endless choices so that will take a bit of thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode