4000 Mile Checkup - 950T - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

4000 Mile Checkup - 950T

I'm coming up on 4000 miles and will be doing my own oil change this time. I did the 600 mile checkup and change at the dealer because they had a good deal going on at the time. I have a few questions about this process

1. They put semi synthetic oil in last time per their recommendations. Will it be too early to go full synthetic on this change, or should i wait until the 8000 mile?

2. Any other items I should be checking out for besides the obvious, (tires, loose bolts et)

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

it's never too early to go with synthetic. it doesn't matter if you use dyno or synthetic, as both work fine with the wet sump and clutch. just as long as you're using a designated motorcycle oil. good idea to run your bike for a few minutes before changing oil, maybe ride it around the neighborhood a little. that way the oil gets heated up and easier to get more of it out of your engine when you drain it.

make sure you have the correct tension on the belt. there have been occurrences of belts going bad around the 30K mile mark that could be because they were over-tightened over time.

and send me a friggin pm if you ever want to ride some time. always looking for more riding buddies. and check out http://www.rockersvsmods.com/austin-rvm/. and don't litter or mess with Texas. and only you can prevent wildfires, says Smokey the Bear.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 PM

I always run synthetic and like bevo said make sure its motorcycle oil not conventional off the shelve.

At the autoparts store it will be with the boat and ATV stuff close to but next to the car motor oil section. They usually carry oil filters as well for a few models. I like to cross reference which car oil filter will work with my bike as I hate paying 20 for a filter thats the same thing as the auto filters sitting a few rows down. I cut some open to compare nothing different.

I would re-check your valves as well just get a feeler gauge and read the owners manual if you don't have one get the clymers manual for your bike they are woth the 30-40 you will spend on it. If you're lucky you will score one on eBay cheaper.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bevo, I've been in and out of the country for work, but am riding as much as I can. What brand of synthetic do you use? Any particular oil filter? Do you buy yours from a shop around Austin, or order online? Once we get past these "SNOW DAYS" I'm definitely up for a ride.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Barman, definitely only motorcyle oil. I'm sure ours are a bit different since you have an 1100, but I'll look into if I can use a car filter on my bike.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

i use amsoil oil and filter. check this out:

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...splay.php?f=33

i call up Bob when i'm ready for another oil change. get my stuff cheaper than anywhere else i've seen.

snow days? we had snow on one day, ice on a couple others. just those have kept me off my bike this winter. and temp should get up to about 65 this weekend. i'm planning some kind of hill country ride for Sunday.

on a steel horse I ride

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Bevo, do you use 20W50 Amsoil? i looked on their website and for the 950, it recommends 10W30

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=MCTQT-EA
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

i use 10W40 on Bob's recommendation. but for our climate, i really don't think it would matter if i used 10W40 or 20W50. 20W50 makes more sense to me because we have a lot more hot days than cold days, but whatever.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode