puzzled with stalling issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Question puzzled with stalling issue

New here, having recent stalling issue. Starts cold but stalls when warmed up & will not restart warm. Original owner, new battery, fuel filter & plugs. Have not had time to check much else, need to check spark when it stalls, thought I'd buy spark tester for that. 19k mi's. Pick-up coil failure common on 2002 650's? Read about recall on 1700's. Seems to be heat related at this point, but not sure. Usually drain float bowls when it sits awhile. Did some searching but there is a wide variety of similar(?) posts. Has not been ridden very far for awhile. Thnx for any ideas.
Forgot to say: seems to idle ok, has stalled before departure and also in motion.

Last edited by mickeystar; 02-09-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:25 AM

Garage
Read this . . . https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...hlight=gas+cap Venting the tank would be the first thing I'd do.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews

Last edited by redcat; 02-09-2014 at 06:29 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:16 AM

First things first! Welcome aboard! Secondly post some pics, it probably won't help to diagnose the problem but we love pics! I think your at a good starting point, first you need to find out whether it is spark or fuel. Next would be to check the vent. spiders love small places.

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
Read this . . . https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...hlight=gas+cap Venting the tank would be the first thing I'd do.
Thnx for the tips. Will run it again soon and when/if it stalls will open gas cap, then if nec., check both cyl's for spark, and let you know. No pic yet, but put some info in new member sect.
Update: no start today, even cold. Drained float bowls, plenty of gas. Checked for spark using a couple spare plugs (did not want to pull the new ones). No spark seen, grounded on cyl. fin!#%@? Have not pulled any covers to check pick up coil resistance, but suspect it is toast. Would expect this w/ high miles but not at <19k, bummed out. Not sure when I want to start taking it apart, good thing it is not a daily rider.
Thnx again!

Last edited by mickeystar; 02-09-2014 at 04:30 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

No start at all now?! Drained float bowls, so it had fuel. Checked for spark, both cyl's, using spare plugs grounded to fins; none could be seen. (did not want to pull installed plugs). Pick up coil or igniter box seems likely. Read a post here somewhere: Used igniter solved his problem. I'll let you know what works. Thnx again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 AM

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...p+coil+testingbefore you start throwing parts at it i did a search on pickup coils and found this"the search tab on the top of the page"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM

was it stalling before you changed batteries? If not make sure everything is clean and tight a the terminals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode