Correct shift points (mph) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Correct shift points (mph)

I'm coming off an high-reving 800cc bike where I could really hear and feel when i needed to up shift. But on the 1300, I'm having a little trouble finding the sweet spot for each up shift. I know the gears are taller, and I checked the manual, but the recommended shift points seemed a little low to me.

For those of you that are experienced with the 1300, will you ballpark on where I optimally should be shifting (MPH)? Is it ok to run the revs up as I did on my Volusia 800?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:42 PM

Hey welcome from the northern midlands of SC ... I got out on the bike for a little while today, upper 50s to low 60s ... and now, I hear we are in for more winter weather midweek... geez ...

I too came from a 07 C-50 Boulevard a few years back, great bike but the 1300 rocks ...

Shift points ... ignore the manual, two reasons, but if this is any help, your 1300 speedo is off about 9% to fast, so if you think you are shifting into 5th at 55 you really need your speedo to say 61. Because at an indicated 55 you are only doing a true GPS speed of 50. That is WAY to low for 5th gear.

The shift points in the manual are to low, everyone agrees, dont be afraid to rev it up a bit higher. Yes, without question you can rev up the bike, its made to run.

I have a tach on mine will try to pay attention at what speeds I shift, I can tell you, I dont think about going into 5th until above 60. Give it time, you will get used to it and after a few thousand miles you will not think about it anymore. Many of us drilled out airboxes, helps smooth out the low end a bit. I drilled 6 - 3/8s holes in the back of the box facing the engine. If your ever curious, just take the arifilter cover off and use a piece of duct tape to hold the filter in place, then go for a ride.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
Hey welcome from the northern midlands of SC ... I got out on the bike for a little while today, upper 50s to low 60s ... and now, I hear we are in for more winter weather midweek... geez ...

I too came from a 07 C-50 Boulevard a few years back, great bike but the 1300 rocks ...

Shift points ... ignore the manual, two reasons, but if this is any help, your 1300 speedo is off about 9% to fast, so if you think you are shifting into 5th at 55 you really need your speedo to say 61. Because at an indicated 55 you are only doing a true GPS speed of 50. That is WAY to low for 5th gear.

The shift points in the manual are to low, everyone agrees, dont be afraid to rev it up a bit higher. Yes, without question you can rev up the bike, its made to run.

I have a tach on mine will try to pay attention at what speeds I shift, I can tell you, I dont think about going into 5th until above 60. Give it time, you will get used to it and after a few thousand miles you will not think about it anymore. Many of us drilled out airboxes, helps smooth out the low end a bit. I drilled 6 - 3/8s holes in the back of the box facing the engine. If your ever curious, just take the arifilter cover off and use a piece of duct tape to hold the filter in place, then go for a ride.
Good input, thanks! Will have to check out the air box mod.

I've put less than 300 miles on the 1300 but I'm starting to get more comfortable. I loved my Volusia (selling it today) but you could really feel it hit the wall when you needed to up shift. The 1300 is so much smoother, I don't "feel" it as much if that makes sense. Not a bad problem to have I guess and I'll get use to it. I'd rather run the revs up a little than lug the engine.

I rode today too but now stuck in the 30s today and tomorrow with rain or snow. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 AM

For average riding, I shift mine like I would a for a car. No need to wind it out every gear unless you're getting on it. If I were to venture a guess, for every day riding, I shift between 3,000 & 4,000 rpm. The ridiculous shift points in the manual are there to satisfy epa requirements for fuel economy, emissions, and stuff so they can keep big brother happy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:51 PM

If you're lugging, downshift. If you're engine sounds like rat-at-a-tat-tat, it's time to upshift. Otherwise, what they say. Listen to your bike. It has a lot to say. You CAN'T run the revs up as high as the Volusia because the rev limiter won't let you. I believe it's around 6300 on a 1300.

Or, go to the link below and pick you shift rpm and see what speeds come up. 3000 rpm is casual and 6300 rpm is screaming mad.

http://s180867979.onlinehome.us/html...d_rpmcheck.htm

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 02-10-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzmichaels View Post
Good input, thanks! Will have to check out the air box mod.

I've put less than 300 miles on the 1300 but I'm starting to get more comfortable. I loved my Volusia (selling it today) but you could really feel it hit the wall when you needed to up shift. The 1300 is so much smoother, I don't "feel" it as much if that makes sense. Not a bad problem to have I guess and I'll get use to it. I'd rather run the revs up a little than lug the engine.

I rode today too but now stuck in the 30s today and tomorrow with rain or snow. Ugh.
Without question the Suzuki will feel like it has a bit more character at first, lighter bike, a bit more fun to throw around, nice ride.

You will QUICKLY forget about that as you ride the 1300 more and enjoy the power and higher speed handling of the 1300.

I had both bikes up to Robbinsville (Tail of the Dragon on the c50) and the 1300 up to Maggie Valley, Blue Ridge Parkway etc many times. I have no desire to go back to the C-50 and have REALLY come to enjoying a good part of any trip on the interstates with the 1300, not that the c50 was bad but the 1300 really shines in comparison. Best of all if going 2up your passenger will have plenty of room and you will still have plenty of power. I did and ALWAYS will have Mustang seats though, both bikes, never would down a bike without them, can run all day.

As far as RPMs on the 1300, at 80 indicated ( GPS 73ish)you are turning about 35/3600
85 indicated 38/3900 (GPS 77ish) just saying this so your not concerned about pushing the RPMs at lower speeds.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Last edited by alarmguy; 02-10-2014 at 05:29 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I think I just need to ride her more to find the shifting sweet spots.. I do tend to want to wind her out but only because the Suzuki really responded to that. The power is really almost effortless compared to where I'm coming from. Now if only this 10 inch of snow will melt by Sunday!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 AM

Amazing weather isnt it!??!? Geez ... guessing we got about 5 inches of sleet, snow and slush plus about 3/8s of an inch of ice... good news is we still have power, some others more east do not. Im near the I-26 Peak Exit 97 ... Irmo/Chapin area.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Man, it started snowing at 1pm yesterday, changed over to sleet last night, then started snowing again this morning and has not stopped! I can't recall this much continuous snow since, well, never. I've been outside sledding with my 6 YO and I'm sure we've had 12 inches or more. I'm just north of Winston Salem, NC heading up Highway 52.

The lousey thing is the forecast is sunny and mid-40s for Sat / Sun. Earlier in the week, I thought I might be able to ride Sunday but no way the roads here will be in any shape for a bike by then. Oh well, at least I can start planning my mods now since I sold the Suzuki this week.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:21 AM

We should hit just shy of 60 this weekend and 70 later next week, if they are right and its about time if they are!

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode