Rider Passenger Intercom - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Rider Passenger Intercom

Can someone suggest me a cheap, basic intercom for me and my wife (passenger).

I am not looking for anything fancy, just basic two way communication between rider/passenger. Connection to music devices is preferable but not a necessity!

Also I would prefer wireless, but wired ones would do, if significantly low prices.

I just need to be able to talk with my wife while cruising on an Interstate (50-70mph)

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprasachin84 View Post
Can someone suggest me a cheap, basic intercom for me and my wife (passenger).

I am not looking for anything fancy, just basic two way communication between rider/passenger. Connection to music devices is preferable but not a necessity!

Also I would prefer wireless, but wired ones would do, if significantly low prices.

I just need to be able to talk with my wife while cruising on an Interstate (50-70mph)

Thanks in advance!
Not sure what you call cheap, but I love my Sena SMH5's. A dual pack (2 complete headsets) are selling for $179.00 on Amazon. I think I paid $210 this time last year for mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH5D-01-Bluetooth-Intercom-Motorcycles/dp/B0071HE2SQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392066175&sr=8-2&keywords=smh5

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrzeye View Post
Not sure what you call cheap, but I love my Sena SMH5's. A dual pack (2 complete headsets) are selling for $179.00 on Amazon. I think I paid $210 this time last year for mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH5D-01-...&keywords=smh5
Sorry for not specifying a Price range. I was looking something close to $100.

I am getting a Cardo Scala Rider Teamset Pro (http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-ri...-rider-teamset) from Ebay (new with Tags) for $110.

Can you advice if it would be a good deal?
Also, how does the SENA SMH5 fair at Interstate cruising speeds? Will it go with any Full Face Helmet?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 PM

Sorry can't give you any advice on the Cardo Scala's as I have never used them.

There are 2 different kits for the SMH5's, one has boom mic with foam noise cancelling covering on it for an open face (3/4) helmet which is what I use. I have talked on the phone at 50 mph and people say they don't even know I am on a moving motorcycle. The other kit has a mic that fits into the chin bar part of the full face helmet.

I use a couple different helmets so for an extra $35 I got a second set of the earphones, mic, and helmet mount. I just pop the transceiver part of the system on which ever helmet suites my fancy that day. Blu-tooth on them has worked great with both my iPhone and a TomTom Rider GPS. Use my iPhone for music and while not top quality audio it works.

Communication is great between rider and passenger. I have not tried bike to bike communications yet.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I am currently researching Sena's a little bit more. Might well buy those.

I don't have a modular helmet, and don't see buying one in near future.
I do have a half face helmet, but use it only for local/city riding.

I think based on the reviews everywhere regarding the sound clarity on the SENA's, I will be buying these. The most important feature for me is Rider/Passenger sound clarity on interstate cruising speeds. That's the primary purpose I am buying these for.

I don't anticipate too many calls on my phone, and do have speakers installed on my V Star.

I guess after some more research I will buy these (if nothing big con comes up).

I will post my experience when I go out this riding season (stuck in Iowan-snow )
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Okay, more the research, more the confusion!

Should I go with

SMH5D-01 SMH5 Bluetooth Headset & Intercom for Scooters and Motorcycles Dual Pack

or

SMH5D-02 SMH5 Bluetooth Headset & Intercom for Scooters and Motorcycles Full-face Helmet Kit Dual Pack

There is not much price difference, but I don't understand the difference, except in their names.

One says wired mic and other is a boom mic. Whats the difference? Is there an advantage of having one over another?

I will be using it on a Full Face helmet, which one should I buy?

Thanks!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprasachin84 View Post
Okay, more the research, more the confusion!

Should I go with

SMH5D-01 SMH5 Bluetooth Headset & Intercom for Scooters and Motorcycles Dual Pack

or

SMH5D-02 SMH5 Bluetooth Headset & Intercom for Scooters and Motorcycles Full-face Helmet Kit Dual Pack

There is not much price difference, but I don't understand the difference, except in their names.

One says wired mic and other is a boom mic. Whats the difference? Is there an advantage of having one over another?

I will be using it on a Full Face helmet, which one should I buy?

Thanks!
you want the wired for a full face helmet
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:17 PM

Litning is right if you wear a full face helmet you want the kit for the full face helmet with the wired mic. The wired mic tucks into the chin guard part of a full face helmet.

The boom mike attaches to the inside of an open face helmet and sticks out in front of your mouth. It has the foam covering which helps cancel out wind noise.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for all the information!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 PM

on the cheap

My wife rides her own bike. We took a ride down through the Red woods a couple of years ago. We had a pair of 2-way radios that we had purchased from Cabela's. They had VOC, but we had problems with one mic or the other holding the channel open. We used the ptt for a while, but I got tired of listening to her. Eventually we just gave up on the whole radio thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode