Cats in a 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Cats in a 950

So from reading what posts I can finding seems that the cat is actually located in the slip off muffler on the 2014 950. Is that true. If so here in Southern California I can't legally even change to a slip on muffler to pick up a little sound. After taking my smog tech training I am all for using cats and other emissions systems when they don't hurt performance to much. What idiot engineer designed this. So now its a choice of following the law and cleaning up the air while riding a great bike that happens to sound like a sewing machine. Or blowing it off to have the bike sound almost like a stock Harley. How is that fair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

don't blame Yamaha, blame Arnold Schwarzenegger. it was either him or his administration that enacted most of the restrictions placed on bikes in California today. i would advise asking around at local bike shops what they do to get around emissions testing to be able to use aftermarket equipment.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 PM

Under EPA regulations, you cannot do anything at all to increase the sound level. Under EPA regulations noise is pollution, and there is no legal way to increase pollution, even if the increased pollution would otherwise be legal. That also includes any airbox modifications that increase sound level. You may not care, but them's the rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Under EPA regulations, you cannot do anything at all to increase the sound level. Under EPA regulations noise is pollution, and there is no legal way to increase pollution, even if the increased pollution would otherwise be legal. That also includes any airbox modifications that increase sound level. You may not care, but them's the rules.
this is incorrect. the EPA does not have any rules or guidelines in place to limit or control noise levels of any kind. they state that they may be involved on an investigative basis, but any kind of enforcement of noise levels are controlled by local governments.

http://www.epa.gov/air/noise.html

and in the case of California vehicles, motorcycle restrictions have more to do with emissions than noise control.

on a steel horse I ride

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

That's exactly right. California so far isn't interested in sound laws. The fed originally set up sound laws but then, due to the complications of implementing and enforcing regulations, turned it over to the states. Some states have sound laws but, interestingly enough none in California. However if noise is considered excessive then you can be cited under disturbing the peace like they would the ricer cars or loud stereo systems. This usually only happens if you piss off a cop. As far as the emissions I'm not against having a a cat at all. I am amazed at how far behind motorcycle technology is compared to automotive. I mean Ford can get a 2 liter ( 2000 cc ) motor to put out almost 300 HP, produce zero emissions, pull a 10 second quarter mile, and behave to get groceries while still hitting near 40 mpg while weighing in at over 3k lbs. Shouldn't a bike with half the engine size and 1/4 the weight be able to do better millage and something close to that power and no emissions? Anyway, all I want is to keep my cat doing its job and add a nice performance muffler. I don't really want to drill the baffle on a brand new muffler and I'd rather have something designed with performance in mind. I guess one option is to find an old muffler and drill it to my liking. Anyone have one around?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

i drilled out mine. it's been sitting in my garage for about 3 years now. but i'd rather sell the whole exhaust system together. because if i separated the muffler, then the rest of the system would be that much tougher to sell at a later point.

i would advise drilling it out, as countless other 950 owners have done. i haven't read of anyone wishing they hadn't done so after the fact. the thing is, it's only a small improvement in sound and does nothing for performance. so a lot of people, like myself, just end up replacing it anyway.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode