AIS Delete Questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

AIS Delete Questions

Hey everyone. So I am going to be doing a couple of things to my 1100 V Star tomorrow including an oil change, re-synching the carbs and the AIS Delete, but I have a couple questions about the AIS delete. I did a test disable by taking the tubes and looping them back and plugging the small tube with a golf tee (pics 3 and 4), but after I initially detached the tubes and then went to loop them back I noticed two screws in the silver tubes on the left (pics 1 and 2). The tube that is farther away, the screw is in there pretty good, but the closer one is really loose and falling out as well as really rusted.

Does this mean that someone tried to do the AIS delete already, and does this mean I should not do the AIS delete? If I do, will there be complications because of the rust or the screws?

I'm not really sure what to ask, I'm just a little hesitant because it looks like the previous owner tried to do the AIS delete and bailed halfway through.

I have already looked at the wiki knowledge base and the page for the AIS delete is kind of hard to follow because it is based off of a few diagrams that are really grainy and unreadable when you try to enlarge them. The link to the pictures is also down.

Any advice would be appreciated.
-Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS (1).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	24601   Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS (2).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	24609   Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS (3).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	24617   Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS (4).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	24625  

'02 V Star 1100 Silverado - "Chloe"
Maxair Flamewires replacement power cables
Maxair Idle Mixture Screws
Cobra Slash Cut Slip-on Pipes
Pro-One Pullback Risers with Tachometer
Custom Clock
Custom Passing Lamps
Custom World Driver's Backrest
Yamaha/Corbin Studded seat with concho
Cobra Passenger Floorboards
Kuryakyn Hypercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 AM

your 3 and 4 look like what is in the wiki page you want to stop any air leaks
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Garage
Jstar, your right I saying that someone tried to do the removal but stopped short of removing it completely. I think that this person either forgot to remove the screws or discovered that it helped with the backfiring. He may have not removed the pipes because he liked the look of them but not what they were intended for. If you're going to remove the AIS completely, then go ahead and don't worry about what you just found. Let us know how it went.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Just make sure you have the proper shells to smack in the holes. I have both mine cross lines like that as I haven't made it to a range to shoot my 45 lately. So until then it works for the purpose just not the cleanup. I have everything removed behind the tool box side as well so its just the tubes sitting there with a plug so there isn't a vacuum leak into the cylinders.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 11:41 AM

I am planning on doing the delete in the spring. Thanks for reminding me to keep some 45 casings Barman84! hahaha
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks guys. I'm going to get started then. To the range! I'll post before and after pics later tonight.

Custom Clock
Custom Passing Lamps
Kuryakyn Hypercharger
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok...I'm currently at the point where I'm going to start throwing shit through the wall if something doesn't start cooperating, aka beer break. I'm currently in the 2ndish hour of doing the carb synch, which should really only take a half hour tops. No matter what I do, the carb on the right side of the bike (idk if it's front or back, but it's on the right side) is always way more powerful than the carb on the left...what the hell? I have tried to turn the adjustment screw in both directions, in small increments and very slowly. Nothing I do is evening out the manometer. I've looked online and haven't found anything useful yet. Some one please give me some advice or point me to a video or something.

I don't know if this matters, but I'm using transmission oil in my manometer. Should I be using something else that is more dense and that wont move as easily?

Thanks,
-Jesse

Custom Clock
Custom Passing Lamps
Kuryakyn Hypercharger

Last edited by JStar'02; 02-15-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: more info
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 PM

What are you using? I had the same problem with the build your own tool... That's the front carb btw. I ended up taking it to my mechanic around the corner he charged me 20 and was done in 5 minutes... He uses the actual yamaha tool worked way better, and to top it off it wasn't that bad.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I thought that was the front, but didn't want to post it and be wrong. I am using clear tubing attached to a 2x4 piece of wood and the fluid inside the tubing is transmission oil. Yes it is homemade.

I think I'm going to replace the transmission oil with engine oil and see if that helps, but if i do that and some of the engine oil gets into the carbs will that cause any damage? One of the reasons that I'm using tranny fluid right now is because I was told that if it gets in the carbs it won't cause any damage to the carbs.

Custom Clock
Custom Passing Lamps
Kuryakyn Hypercharger
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:51 PM

Pics 3 and 4 look like mine I did it that way in case me (or future owner) ever wanted to return the bike to stock condition.

Carb sync: Mine did the same at first. I went back to the carbs and made sure ALL adjustments were identical and checked/eliminated a vacuum leak. All was well for syncing carbs after that.

Note: I used 2-stroke oil in my manometer and it worked fine.

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode