Help with pull backs - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Help with pull backs

Loving my new 2010 950 Tourer. Just got a sweet deal. My first of many modifications is some pull backs and cables. I won't get rid of the handlebars. I really enjoy how wide they are. I purchased some 5.5" risers. First problem is the are square fitting in the round hole. They don't come with any sort of gasket. Any advice. I'm afraid using these without a gasket may a terrible mistake waiting to happen. Next problem is I need to change the cables. Do I just buy +4 or can someone tell me the length of each cable. ie brake, throttle, idle, clutch. I think I'm good with the electric wiring (I hope). Any other advise is welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

the risers are square? which kind? post a photo of what's going on if you can. you can probably get away with not replacing your cables, as most 950 owners have done so.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

riser issue

I am getting more concerned that going with these risers will be a problem without some sort of gasket. I will likely start my search tomorrow for 4.5 to 5.5" riser with round base. I stopped at 2 bike mechanics yesterday. I think we all agree the brake line, brake cable, throttle,idle and clutch cable need to be changed with an increase of 2 to 3 inches. One mechanic suggested running the cables behind the fork. Never going back to him. At this point, I don't know if I should go with +2 or +4.

Thank you for all your advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	risers.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	24737  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

i would agree with finding round risers. i don't know how those square ones would work. i went with 3" risers with no problem and several other 950 owners have gone with 4" and 5" without needing new cables. so you should be fine there. i think the stock risers are 1.5".

on a steel horse I ride

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

actually, i take that back about the square risers. technically, they would work in that you could secure them and your handlebar to the bike, but they just wouldn't be seated as neatly into the round hold as round risers. it wouldn't look right, but it would work. i would still look for round risers instead.

on a steel horse I ride

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

I didn't pay much for them. The square ones are going back. I saw some Barons 4" riser with 1.5 pull back. I am not sure about replacing any of the cable lines. But, I am sure I will need to replace the brake hydraulic line. Do you know the stock length of the top portion. I think I'll go with about plus 3, if it exists. Opinions are most certainly welcome.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:50 PM

I think I put those same risers on - search the threads for riser install and you'll find pictures of what i did. Installed stainless steel washers.

Annie
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Why is the 950 excluded from my riser lists. I see so much for the 650 and 1100. Techies at many sites say it's not the same fitting. Frankly, I think they haven't checked if it fits. What is offered for the 950 is slim. Does anyone know if any 4 up ( or 4.5 up), 1.5 back work. I don't care about adding +2 cables. I don't want to reroute cables behind triple tree.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM

I doubt you can bring it up and back that far without rerouting and or new cables. Bevo would probably know.

Annie
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ght=mag+risers

this should answer your questions. looks like he had no problem with the square risers and didn't need to reroute his cables, though by the picture, it looks like there is no slack in the cables.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode