Carb Adjustment - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Carb Adjustment

I have an 05' 1100 w/BSR37 carbs. I got the bike from my brother who changed out the pipes and rejetted the carb. I pulled the plugs yesterday and found the rear jug burned nice & gray. The front plug was black and smelled like gas. I suspect the air/fuel mix needs to a adjusted. Any thoughts on what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks

AD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:00 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jettingscroll down to table A that will tell you how to jet your bike.are the pipes slipon or full performance,with only an exhaust change you normally up your main jets by putting the front jet in the rear carb and getting a size 115 and putting it in the front carb,stock setting on the mixture screw is 2 turns out. you could have a stuck float in the front.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:01 PM

The rear cylinder and its carburetor sound OK. The front cylinder is running rich. Check its air filter, if the two carbs have separate filters. Check that the enrichener is operating correctly. If the bike has true dual exhausts with no crossover or connection between them, the exhaust for the front cylinder will be sootier than the rear cylinder's pipe. Once the easy stuff is checked, it is time to look into the carburetor. It could be jetted incorrectly (compare jet numbers to the jets in the rear carb bearing in mind that sometimes correct jetting differs between carbs) or, if you are lucky, a jet may not have been tightened correctly and may have fallen out. Float levels are also important, and depending on the setup it might be easy to check them with no more than a couple of short pieces of clear tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

carb adjustment

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful. There is a very well written description of jetting issues based on throttle opening. At this time the transition on the throttle feels pretty smooth, I'm not sure there are issues with the jetting or float being stuck. I ran stock dual pipes on the bike for a short time, the plugs burned pretty evenly. I have just built and installed a 2 in 1 exhaust and that is when I started noticing the front jug burning rich. Is there any way to lean out the carb mixture without re-jettting?

Thanks

AD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM

since the problem started with the pipe change i would say your adjustment is off just a little.without jetting that leaves the pms screw,try turning it in a quarter turn to lean it out.if it pops you know you turned it in to far.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Adjusting Carbs

Thanks Nick,

Is the PMS screw on the outside of the carb or will I need to pull the bottom off to get to it?

AD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:39 PM

the screws are on the bottom.if they have never been touched you will have to remove the carbs and drill them out,they are plugged from the factory.then i would recommend aftermarket screws so much easier to make adjustments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode