MY first oil Change, Maybe a stripped Oil Pan?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

MY first oil Change, Maybe a stripped Oil Pan??

Bandit Here,

Long time no Post! I have a 2009 VStar 950, that was purchased NEW by the previous owner in 2011. It had 730 miles on it when I bought it, and prior to buying the bike, the previous owner had just got his first oil change at the Dealer around 700 miles, per the receipt I got with the bike.

My bike currently has 3,200 miles, but I decided to change the oil, just because. Got a WIX Filter and purchased Mobil 1 V-Twin
20-50W Synthetic Oil.

The oil pan bolt was a bitch to get off, I had to use a breaker bar to get it off. I never changed the oil before, but it seemed I was loosening the bolt over 100 turns to finally get it to come off. Looking back and what happened later make me think the oil pan threads might be stripped?

Anyway, drained the oil all day and when I got home tonight I tried to install the bolt and tightened it 50+ turns? Hmmmmmmmmm something ain't right.

I tried a few more times and then removed the bolt and as the BOLT Came out, a curly 1 1/2" piece of aluminum/metal came out and fell to the ground. I assume that curly slinky looking metal that came off was part of My oil pan threads?

I am not sure if I need a NEW oil Pan BOLT (mine looks to be OK, and in good shape, but what do I know)

OK, so now I need to figure out what to do. I am assuming my Oil Pan Threads are slightly Stripped by the DEALER who did the 700 mile oil change and likely over tightened the bolt. I mean, I used a damn breaker bar to get the bolt loose.

So I am not sure what to do? Do I even need a new BOLT? After some GOOGLE searching I read there is something called an Over Sized Oil Pan Bolt that you put in and it self threads the aluminum Oil Pan. Not sure if they make these for a Motorcycle, but I assume they do.

Is that what I need to fix this? Is it definitely the Oil PAN threads that are stripped, and not the Bolt? Again, a long curly piece of Metal Fell out of the Drain Hole when I was taking the bolt back OFF after I couldn't get it to Tighten.

What should I do?

Thanks In Advance!

The Bandit..................

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I found this little write up on the Web:

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...lug-Repair.pdf

I would like to use a slightly larger self tapping oil pan bolt, which seems to be easy. OK, I will wait for some of you guys replies to see what some of you suggest.

I THINK our standard Bolt is a 14MM X 1.5. If that is Correct, what size OVER Size Oil Plug would I need to buy?

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn

Last edited by 2009VStar950Bandit; 02-20-2014 at 11:14 PM.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

I think this is what I need? Who knows, if I keep this up, I will have answered all my own questions....................... However, ALL Advice appreciated. If this works, this seems to be the easiest FIX!

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...1&SEName=65217

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

OK, back again with some PICTURES!!!! I tok a picture and it appears that the last 1/10th of the END of my Threads (closest to the inside of the oil pan) are the ones that stripped.

In the picture, resting on the hole, I see a little piece of metal????? Is that part of the stripped THREAD, or is that supposed to be there?????????????

I might need to go in there with tweezers to remove that IF it is loose metal. Or maybe a telescoping Magnet????

Here are the Pictures.

Last edited by 2009VStar950Bandit; 02-21-2014 at 09:27 AM.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:50 AM

Garage
Do you still have the spiral that came out? If you do, could you post a pic of it? I'm wondering if the dealer stripped the threads and installed a helicoil (thread repair).

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 03:19 PM

helicoil was my first thought. If it were my bike, Id be removing the oil pan and doing a correct repair AND thorough cleaning. Hoping that there isnt metal thats already been hanging out with your motor
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

No I think the threads broke when I REMOVED the Bolt as it was on SUPER TIGHT! I am going to pour cheap oil to get any possible metal OUT!

I have no idea how easy it is to REMOVE the OIL PAN???? Or, even HOW TO remove the Oil Pan on MY 09 VStar 950. I Googled and there is NOTHING!

I bought this DORMAN Oil-Tite 14MM x 1.50 Over Sized Oil Drain Plug today at O'Riley's Auto Parts. It is supposed to be put in place of the stock oil pan bolt and it self taps and creates it's own threads as you screw it in. I would obviously unscrew it all the way out before it was fully seated and FLUSH the Crank Case with Cheap Oil to reRemove and metal Shavings.

Then if this doesn't work, I could always drill it out and rethread it, right? Or WORST case, replace the Oil Pan! Damn Yamaha Dealers can't do anything right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part # 65217 Oil Drain Plug Oversize M14-1.50 S.O., Head Size 18MM

http://cdn0.finditparts.com/assets/p...JPG?1330573584

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 03:53 PM

Unfortunately, there is no oil pan on these motors. The drain plug is threaded directly into the crankcase. Your only two real options are the oversized drain plug or redrilling and tapping the hole.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:15 PM

I'd highly suggest a new drain plug with a magnet on it.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I am confused on a couple things. I can't just go BUY a stock drain Plug, because the threads are stripped and a stock Magnetic Oil Plug won't hold, right Ken448???

Secondly, I already bought the M14 X 1.50 Ovewrsized Oil Plug that you screw in and it self taps a slightly larger hole in yoru oil pan. You guys can SEE my dammage from my PICTURES above.

It appears I have oil pan threads 4/5th of the way up my threads. The final 1/5th is the threads that came loose. IF I attempt to TRY Fixing my issue with the OverSized Bolt, WILL I need to Drill OUT ALL the threads in the Oil Pan? OR, can I just start screwing the NEW over Sized M143 X 1.50 Bolt in the bottom of the oil pan with a Rachet?

If I DO need to drill out all the existing Oil Pan Threads, then what size drill bit will I need to use? a 14MM Drill Bit??? I have never done this before so tyhat is why I am asking.

Also, if I just start screwing the NEW Over Sized Bolt into my Oil Pan, when I am almost done screwing the Oversized Bolt ALL THE WAYIN, should I THEN back it OUT after I am done? To make sure any metal that came loose, falls out of the bottom. Then, as a precaution, I PLAN to Flush the Oil Crank Case with a Quart of cheap Oil to remove any Metal Shavings? Then of course I would put the Over Sized Bolt Back in and snug it up, Gently!!!!! and finish the job I originally intended to do and put my New 20W/50W Synthetic Oil in and get on down the road and PRAY everything holds.

If I mess it up, I am SURE any Dealer or mechanic can just retap the hole Bigger and fix it the RIGHT way? Right???

I'm so FRUSTRATED with this!!!!!!!!!!!! An easy Oil Change turns into a possible nightmare that could mess up my Bike all because the Dealer didn't put the plug in correctly. I bet they used air toold as it was soooooooooooooooooooo damn tight I had to use a 3 foot PVC Pipe over my Rachet to Finally get it to loosen up!

Help Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need answers especially on the Oversized Bolt and if I can just start screwing it in the existing Hole without drilling out the existing oil pan threads remaining.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode