Headlight Upgrade - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Headlight Upgrade

Hello,

I want to upgrade the headlight bulb on my V Star 1100 Silverado. I just want to be able to see more at night, and be safe! I don't have any fog lamps or any other lights installed than stock.

I see quite a few options. I just want more light, and no fancy colors etc. My primary need is to be able to have more light in front while riding!

1. A simple halogen bulb costing less than $10. What wattage should I buy? 100/80? What is stock on V Star 1100 Silverado? I read concerns of burning the harness, plastic, wiring etc. Which one is the appropriate?

2. What are HID light kits that cost $50-100? Are those better..should be..but are those absolutely necessary? I am on a budget!

3. Should I also install a headlight modulator? Any recommendations which one should I buy?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprasachin84 View Post
Hello,

I want to upgrade the headlight bulb on my V Star 1100 Silverado. I just want to be able to see more at night, and be safe! I don't have any fog lamps or any other lights installed than stock.

I see quite a few options. I just want more light, and no fancy colors etc. My primary need is to be able to have more light in front while riding!

1. A simple halogen bulb costing less than $10. What wattage should I buy? 100/80? What is stock on V Star 1100 Silverado? I read concerns of burning the harness, plastic, wiring etc. Which one is the appropriate?

2. What are HID light kits that cost $50-100? Are those better..should be..but are those absolutely necessary? I am on a budget!

3. Should I also install a headlight modulator? Any recommendations which one should I buy?

Thanks in advance!

I just put the Truck Lite Phase 7 LED headlight and passing lights on my 1100 classic, but we still have snow on the ground so I can't tell you how much better it is, other than it has to be better than stock!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Hids suck I have gone through 3 sets at 50 each trash. I then bouhg the expensive 200 kit and they went bye bye not long after. 1 year warranty my ass btw they send you parts after getting the bad crap back. If you cut the harness to lengthen the wires they won't honor it. Good luck finding one long enough...

LED headlights are expensive as heck and a new bulb really didn't do me any justice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290968377505...9#ht_548wt_839

I bought this I put 25.00 down and they said yes so I bought two one for my bobber one for my 1100. Paid for shipping on one. Added a higher end bulb think I paid around 55 for it. Make sure the wattage isn't above 55 or yes you can burn the harness. I then took my left side box headlight horn switch apart and wired it to when my high beam is on my low beam stays on as well. Just find the one that runs the high and jump it back to the normal relay wire. There are only three wires to play with.

So when I flick it to high beam the dang world is let up times ten low is normal low and I don't leave it like that long unless I am on a rural road somewhere. Ive been riding like this for about 6 months now and have had zero problems.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 PM

I use Xenon bulbs in everything I Ride or Drive.

2009 Road Star Candy Red
Patriot Guard Rider
Custom Flag Mounts
Speedstar Pipes
Yamaha Quick Release Windshield
Saddleman Renegade Seat
Bakup Backrest
Yamaha Sissy Bar
Tour Classic Bags
Baron Engine Guard
Yamaha Chrome Lowers
3.5" Risers
2nd Brake Light & Brake Light Modulator
Black Iso Grips
Kuryakyn Throttle Assist
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

HIDs are awesome. i bought a kit for about $40 from DDM Tuning a couple years ago and it still works great.

whatever you go with, do not go with a higher wattage than your stock bulb.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:38 PM

[quote=Barman84;374873]Hids suck I have gone through 3 sets at 50 each trash. /QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
HIDs are awesome.

Hmmmm....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 PM

Location: Crowsnest Pass as of Feb 25. Finally out of the fricken prairies.
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=92025

This is what I wish I could put on my tourer but they changed the headlight. I know someone who has it on their road star. Its awesome.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 10:51 AM

Google 35w vs 55w hid. Stick with 35s. Hids are very nice. If you don't want color, 4-6k is bright white, 6k having very very minimal blue.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell View Post
Google 35w vs 55w hid. Stick with 35s. Hids are very nice. If you don't want color, 4-6k is bright white, 6k having very very minimal blue.
I did both and got better results with the 55k at night. Talk about lighting the road 6k between 35 and 55 was a big differance however none lasted longer than 4 months tops. BTW I typically ride at least once a week when its 10-30 degrees, above 40 and not raining I ride, 50s and up Im on the bike. I don't think I had 1 hid kit make it past the 2500 mile mark. As the lights are always on the balast get hot really hot in the summer and go out. Like I said they will replace the parts that go bad but 2-3 weeks waiting for a new part to come in just sucks. I would rip out the wiring harness each time and toss the old bulb back in and with the high beam on I got the same effect as the hids.

And yeah they say high low but they don't really work high low like the regular bulbs. You get a little switch that turns on a little bulb for high so the main stays on or a little shield that pops up and directs light up to the top of the lens for high same bulb still on. So once its out you have nothing but a dead bulb period. Not the greatest thing in the world unless you plan on running with a spare ballast and light when you go on a long ride that may go into a few days.

For me it is just simplistic to be able to pull in the auto store buy a new bulb for 20 and slap it in and go. That and when hi or low goes out I can keep going at night and not play the pray game and not get a ticket for no headlight.

To each their own but after mulitiple faliures I said the hell with it money wasted lesson learned.

In a car its great you have another beam on a bike not so much you only have one and when its out do you want to be stuck with that issue on the side of the road somewhere on a rural road alone?

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode