Ignition fuse blows. PLEASE HELP! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Ignition fuse blows. PLEASE HELP!

I have a 2006 V-Star 1100. It keeps blowing the ignition fuse when I'm riding on the interstate. Not sure where to start on this. Anybody else have this problem and how did you fix it? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

don't know much about electrical stuff, but i would check the voltage coming off the battery

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 AM

First, make sure you are using the correct fuse. If someone replaced it with a lower amperage fuse, and you keep replacing it with the same fuse, there might be a problem.

Second, and probably most important, look for a wire somewhere which has chafed against something and is vibrating or blowing around in such a way that the bare spot is hitting the metal frame of the bike. There is a good chance a wire got pinched under the gas tank sometime when it was removed for other service. Another good place to look is where the wire harness goes into the headlight shell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Location: Crowsnest Pass as of Feb 25. Finally out of the fricken prairies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
First, make sure you are using the correct fuse. If someone replaced it with a lower amperage fuse, and you keep replacing it with the same fuse, there might be a problem.

Second, and probably most important, look for a wire somewhere which has chafed against something and is vibrating or blowing around in such a way that the bare spot is hitting the metal frame of the bike. There is a good chance a wire got pinched under the gas tank sometime when it was removed for other service. Another good place to look is where the wire harness goes into the headlight shell.

+1 on the chaffed wire. If its happening at random times, I would say that's it.

2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
Home Made Intake/Big Air - Found in Mod Section
Road Burner 2 1/2" Street Pro's painted black tips
Lowered 1 1/4"
Progressive Front Springs
Cobra FI2000 O2
Memphis Shades Batwing & 6.5" Spoiler Smoked Shield
Drag Specialties Bagger Bars
Avon Cushion Grips w/Throttle Boss
6000k HID
Candied tail light and signal lights w/360 LED bulbs
Horn relocated to left chrome cover
Lay down license plate
12V power in Left Saddle Bag
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Check your battery connections as well as the properly labeled fuse in the fuse box. If the ground wire is even remotely lose and moving around when hitting bumps it can cause a short and pop the ignition fuse or any other fuse as well.

When I was wiring my LEDs to my bike I shorted it by accident barely tapping the frame and popped the ignition fuse then putting it back together I don't know what it was but it shorted again and did it again.

If everything is good pull the wiring sheets on the other forum and start checking your grounds. Then your leads as well I am sure it is something loose as you stated it happens while on the highway so wind is a factor. Check your headlight wires as well.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I thought it might be a chaffed wire too since it does happen at random times and frequently but I haven't found any. Battery is good and fuse is correct. I will check grounds this weekend and keep looking for any possible chaffing wires. I'll post the results when I find it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM

Also, had your bike gotten wet lately? and not dried before riding? Yes you can ride in the rain but collecting water that pools can cause all sorts of issues.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Found a possible culprit going into the lightbar. Taped it up. Gonna ride a bit tomorrow and see if it's fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode