Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Bat wing

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Iamriding 
#1 ·
I'm 5'7" tall and wondering what size of upper shield I should get if I end up getting the Bat Wing from Memphis shades? Any experiences?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Depends on what you're looking for and how you will ride.

I'm 6'0" and have the tall (12 inch) for the late-fall to early-winter riding, and the short (5 inch) for the summer.

I try not to ride in the rain as I don't find it (riding in rain) that enjoyable, but will ride even in January when it's cold (less than freezing) with the tall shield.

#3 ·
I am 5'10" and I have the 5" for summer and the 9" for when it is colder and wish I had the 7" as that would be the best fit for me. I do not like to have to look through the shield while I ride and with the 9" I have to look through the the very top of the shield so I am going to get a 7" and it should be about right.

#4 ·
Can you not just tilt it back some? I don't no about the 1300 but on my 1100 if it is tilted all the way foreword middle of my eyes. But tilted all the way back it's below my nose. I'm 5-10 and got the 12" with the plan to cut it to fit. I have only done a few hundred miles with it but all is good with the 12"

#5 ·
I tilted the 9" all the back which lowers it and it is in my line of sight, tilt it forward and I have to look through the shield but it works for those cold days so no complaints. I tilted the 5" all the way forward and it is just a little bit short but works in the summer with the occasional bug in the face. I figure if it really bothers me later I will get the 7". I also looked on ebay and found that they have 6 1/2" tall now not the 7". If you keep watching and searching ebay you can come across them cheaper that new, that is how I got my 9" for 60 dollars shipped. It was like new.

#6 ·
Also I my 1300 if you tilt it all the way back you open a large gap between the batwing and the headlight which allows a lot of air to come through and hits you in the chest and face. When tilted all the way forward it leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of a gap that very little air comes through.

#7 ·
Ive had my MS batwing with the 9in. windshield for about 2 years now and im 5-10 tall. with the batwing tilted back I can just see over top of the windshield on sunny days and when it rains I can duck my head a bit and see through the windshield just fine. with my Bell shorty helmet I dont get any buffeting but when I got my Bell Mag 9 with the peak on, it felt like I went a couple of rounds with mike tyson!! so lose the peak on your helmet. In early spring and late fall I ride with my HJC modular and again no buffeting. I think the seat you use ie; stock or after market will effect what height of windshield you need too.

#8 ·
Hey GUYS, I know there are lots of guys asking questions here and not trying to take over your thread, but I respectfully have a question myself.

I Am looking to get a BWF for my 2009 V-Star 950. I am 6 Feet Tall and live in Texas. I never ride in the rain and I am trying to determine what shield, or SHIELDS to get. I wear a full face helmet (Shoei RF1100) just in case that matters because I hear all kinds of stuff about buffeting with the BWF windshield combined with that type of helmet.

OK so I was thinking the 9"????? However, in Summer which is coming up any day now, will that take too much wind away from me and eliminate the fun factor?

I see a few of you guys, specifically REDCAT have the 5" for Summer and the 12" for later Fall / Winter. Can you DESCRIBE the differences in the 5" and the 12"
(that's what she said...LOL), seriously though. WHY do you have the 5" for Summer? What does it accomplish when riding and how much air do you get?

In Contrast, explain what the 12" adds to the riding experience.

No Matter what I get, I am 100% getting the LOWERS, as everyone said those are the KEY to eliminating buffeting. I never experienced buffeting so not sure what it Feels like.

if anyone wants to explain that, go ahead. I assume it's the wind shaking your helmet around.

I am Getting the BWF 50% for looks and 50% for a little protection, AND the ability to have a windshield anytime I want it, which is also removable. Speaking of Removability, does anyone with a BWF ever take it OFF? or is it on the bike 100% of the time, just curious.

Thanks and hope my questions will help everyone out to some degree.

The Bandit............................

"Making Dreams Happen and riding through the Heavens on Angels Wings" (just made that up right there)

#10 ·
Can you DESCRIBE the differences in the 5" and the 12"
(that's what she said...LOL), seriously though. WHY do you have the 5" for Summer? What does it accomplish when riding and how much air do you get?

In Contrast, explain what the 12" adds to the riding experience.
I actually prefer the 5" because I get a lot of air and I like the feel of the wind, just not when it's 20 degrees. The 12" shield is strictly for cold weather riding, and does a good job of keeping cold off my face and chest. I also get a little head buffet with the 12" shield that I do not get with the 5".

#9 ·
I use the 5" for looks and it keeps most of the wind from hitting me in the face but does allow the occasional bug hit me unfortunately. The 12" is used (opinion) to keep most wind and bugs off them and they like looking through a shield when riding. If you wear a full faced helmet then I would go with the 5" as it looks better on the bike or go with the 6 1/2" and it will still allow you to see over the shield but keep wind from hitting you so much. as far as buffeting I currently have a little bit over 60 mph so I am purchasing the lowers to help with that issue. As in my earlier post you can also tilt the fairing to get just the right height on the shield. I hope that helps....

#11 ·
I ride in 40 degree weather and the 12" keeps that cold air off me better. When the weather is warmer (above 70)its nice to have the air hitting you. The larger shields are nice for the laid back rider that just likes to go for a ride and does not like any air hitting them in the chest and or face, and with the shorter shields they let more air hit you. I am not sure about redcat but I wear a half helmet so the amount of air hitting you matters but with a full helmet it really does not matter. If you thing of it this way, put a stereo on your bike and you want to hear it at 70 then a 12" shield will help you with that but a 5" will hurt you as you get more air going by your head and ears. This of course does not matter when you are wearing a full helmet.

#12 ·
I am also in the process of installing a Memphis Shades batwing on my 1100. I decided to install the fairing first and then pick a windshield height. I'm glad I did.

My old Memphis Fats windshield was 18" in height from the headlight. Using a level and a helper, to position the top of the batwing windshield at mouth or just below meant about a 12" windshield. That was the recommended height for a windshield with recurve at the top. I'm 5'7" so was shocked as I thought I would need a much lower shield to get the same coverage as I had before.

FWIW I decided on a Cee Bailey Memphis Devil windshield and bought the 11" version.

#13 ·
I received my 7" gradient black with my faring on Monday. Installed Tuesday. Major buffeting but a set of Harley lowers will solve that. Now I just need a part number that I know will work. Anyone?

#14 ·
I received my 7" gradient black with my faring on Monday. Installed Tuesday. Major buffeting but a set of Harley lowers will solve that. Now I just need a part number that I know will work. Anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.