Bat wing - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Location: Crowsnest Pass as of Feb 25. Finally out of the fricken prairies.
Bat wing

I'm 5'7" tall and wondering what size of upper shield I should get if I end up getting the Bat Wing from Memphis shades? Any experiences?

Thanks in advance.

2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
Home Made Intake/Big Air - Found in Mod Section
Road Burner 2 1/2" Street Pro's painted black tips
Lowered 1 1/4"
Progressive Front Springs
Cobra FI2000 O2
Memphis Shades Batwing & 6.5" Spoiler Smoked Shield
Drag Specialties Bagger Bars
Avon Cushion Grips w/Throttle Boss
6000k HID
Candied tail light and signal lights w/360 LED bulbs
Horn relocated to left chrome cover
Lay down license plate
12V power in Left Saddle Bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Garage
Depends on what you're looking for and how you will ride.

I'm 6'0" and have the tall (12 inch) for the late-fall to early-winter riding, and the short (5 inch) for the summer.

I try not to ride in the rain as I don't find it (riding in rain) that enjoyable, but will ride even in January when it's cold (less than freezing) with the tall shield.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:41 AM

I am 5'10" and I have the 5" for summer and the 9" for when it is colder and wish I had the 7" as that would be the best fit for me. I do not like to have to look through the shield while I ride and with the 9" I have to look through the the very top of the shield so I am going to get a 7" and it should be about right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:00 AM

Garage
Can you not just tilt it back some? I don't no about the 1300 but on my 1100 if it is tilted all the way foreword middle of my eyes. But tilted all the way back it's below my nose. I'm 5-10 and got the 12" with the plan to cut it to fit. I have only done a few hundred miles with it but all is good with the 12"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:18 AM

I tilted the 9" all the back which lowers it and it is in my line of sight, tilt it forward and I have to look through the shield but it works for those cold days so no complaints. I tilted the 5" all the way forward and it is just a little bit short but works in the summer with the occasional bug in the face. I figure if it really bothers me later I will get the 7". I also looked on ebay and found that they have 6 1/2" tall now not the 7". If you keep watching and searching ebay you can come across them cheaper that new, that is how I got my 9" for 60 dollars shipped. It was like new.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Also I my 1300 if you tilt it all the way back you open a large gap between the batwing and the headlight which allows a lot of air to come through and hits you in the chest and face. When tilted all the way forward it leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of a gap that very little air comes through.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 AM

Ive had my MS batwing with the 9in. windshield for about 2 years now and im 5-10 tall. with the batwing tilted back I can just see over top of the windshield on sunny days and when it rains I can duck my head a bit and see through the windshield just fine. with my Bell shorty helmet I dont get any buffeting but when I got my Bell Mag 9 with the peak on, it felt like I went a couple of rounds with mike tyson!! so lose the peak on your helmet. In early spring and late fall I ride with my HJC modular and again no buffeting. I think the seat you use ie; stock or after market will effect what height of windshield you need too.

02 Vstar 1100 classic
Samson Warloard Ripsaws
chubby pod kit/maxair pms screws
barons ork
kuryakyn isso grips
breakaway cruise cont.
driver backrest
barons DT risers
barons tackometer
oem passing lights
crome visors on all lights & signals
drag highway pegs
viking studded bags
sissy bar with rack
studded front and rear seats
studded gas tank bib with pouch
clocks for bikes- stem mount
Ram mount& hard wire for GARMIN GPS
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Hey GUYS, I know there are lots of guys asking questions here and not trying to take over your thread, but I respectfully have a question myself.

I Am looking to get a BWF for my 2009 V-Star 950. I am 6 Feet Tall and live in Texas. I never ride in the rain and I am trying to determine what shield, or SHIELDS to get. I wear a full face helmet (Shoei RF1100) just in case that matters because I hear all kinds of stuff about buffeting with the BWF windshield combined with that type of helmet.

OK so I was thinking the 9"????? However, in Summer which is coming up any day now, will that take too much wind away from me and eliminate the fun factor?

I see a few of you guys, specifically REDCAT have the 5" for Summer and the 12" for later Fall / Winter. Can you DESCRIBE the differences in the 5" and the 12"
(that's what she said...LOL), seriously though. WHY do you have the 5" for Summer? What does it accomplish when riding and how much air do you get?

In Contrast, explain what the 12" adds to the riding experience.

No Matter what I get, I am 100% getting the LOWERS, as everyone said those are the KEY to eliminating buffeting. I never experienced buffeting so not sure what it Feels like.

if anyone wants to explain that, go ahead. I assume it's the wind shaking your helmet around.

I am Getting the BWF 50% for looks and 50% for a little protection, AND the ability to have a windshield anytime I want it, which is also removable. Speaking of Removability, does anyone with a BWF ever take it OFF? or is it on the bike 100% of the time, just curious.

Thanks and hope my questions will help everyone out to some degree.

The Bandit............................

"Making Dreams Happen and riding through the Heavens on Angels Wings" (just made that up right there)

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:50 PM

I use the 5" for looks and it keeps most of the wind from hitting me in the face but does allow the occasional bug hit me unfortunately. The 12" is used (opinion) to keep most wind and bugs off them and they like looking through a shield when riding. If you wear a full faced helmet then I would go with the 5" as it looks better on the bike or go with the 6 1/2" and it will still allow you to see over the shield but keep wind from hitting you so much. as far as buffeting I currently have a little bit over 60 mph so I am purchasing the lowers to help with that issue. As in my earlier post you can also tilt the fairing to get just the right height on the shield. I hope that helps....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009VStar950Bandit View Post
Can you DESCRIBE the differences in the 5" and the 12"
(that's what she said...LOL), seriously though. WHY do you have the 5" for Summer? What does it accomplish when riding and how much air do you get?

In Contrast, explain what the 12" adds to the riding experience.
I actually prefer the 5" because I get a lot of air and I like the feel of the wind, just not when it's 20 degrees. The 12" shield is strictly for cold weather riding, and does a good job of keeping cold off my face and chest. I also get a little head buffet with the 12" shield that I do not get with the 5".

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode