Experience with LED Lighting Kits? Looking at "Joe Florida"! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Experience with LED Lighting Kits? Looking at "Joe Florida"!

Bandit Here,

Been on a mod kick lately after a dry spell on my 09 Black VStar 950. Just added the Custom Dynamics Triple Play & Voltage Regulator, Mustang studded tank bib, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, and in the next fee days, I'm getting my new Set of recently purchased Michelin Commnder II tires put on.

I had some initial interest last year in the LED Accent lighting, then forgot about it.

It really looks cool to me. Didn't wAnt to look like a punk, but I'm over that concern and think it looks cool. It would be fun to ride and night and flip these things on.

OK so I did some research and was looking at the Kuryakyn Maximus kit. Then after more looking around in google I remembered Joe Florida was a highly reccomended company.

I called Tim today at JF and was deciding what my options were. He said the 180 LED kit would be great, but I am leaning toward the 234 LED kit just because it gives me the most options and it is cheaper to buy the kit lights in a kit vs adding individual LED's later.

Also they have instructions for various motorcycles. Of course, many Yamaha bikes have instructions, BUT surprisingly they have no suggestions for ANY. VSTAR model? I though VStar was one of their most popular models.

1. What number of Joe Florida LED lights should I get? The 144, 180, or 234?

2. Is this a good brand to get? Should I look at other mufacturers? Or should I just go with JF's kit?

3. Any advice on install? any special areas to make sure I cover? Especially on my 950. Do you put some under front febder? Do you take off tire or remove fender?

4. Anything else???

Oh ya. I plan to get the SUPER BRITE Multi Color Kit. For thousand kit I assume besides cycling through various colors, I am sure you can chose what color you want at will? So I can have Blue One day, Green the next, etc.

Thanks for any and all responses!!

The LED Bandit

"Lighting up one life at a Time".......

Cause you, Light up my life, you give me Hope, to carry on...... oooops I'm too young to remember Debbie Boone, but I do. LOL

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 AM

There have been quite a few LED installs lately, and a quick search will show up even more of us doing installs last year. It's definitely worth the search time if you're into pics and videos of the installs and finished lights. If you just want a quick answer, I'll save you the search time

You won't be disappointed with Joe Florida. Great company. Great products. 'No bullshit' guarantee. I've used them multiple times now and plan another light kit in the near future.

As for which kit, I've always liked the single color lights, but I've been tempted lately to try the multi-color kits.

As for what size kit .... Go big or go home . My thought is we're talking about relatively little money for a mod and more is better.

I removed both fenders and all side covers, tank and seat on both installs I've done. It's prob not absolutely required, but that's how I roll ....

Make sure you post plenty of pics!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 AM

If you want to just keep it a simple one color setup go the cheaper route than the LED shops online.

Just get some strips off eBay $7.98

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-15-LED-3...item19dd722a61

A toggle switch I bought the 5 pack as I am always doing something with these. $7.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-Car-Veh...ht_4177wt_1242

So around 15 in parts to my door.

I had extra wire and put three strips on these bike out of the 5 pack that it comes with. If I want to add more its just a simple splice into the wiring I already have done.

I just run a red that I tap to the battery cable to the otherside of the bike where the tool box is and then a negative to the switch. I tie all the positive sides to the red and the negative sides to the other end of the switch. I could add a fuse adapter as well but I just sad screw it I will probably toss one on sooner or later just to keep it safe.

When it gets dark just reach down with my left hand flip the switch and its on. Close the cover and it all shuts off.

I am trying to find another place to add the other two strips but its plenty bright enough to me.

I have one on the subframe inside wrapped around in front of the rear tire and one on each side of the frame under the tank aiming down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDS.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	26642  

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman84 View Post
Just get some strips off eBay $7.98

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-15-LED-3...item19dd722a61
you don't want those lights. they are not nearly as bright as the SMD 5050 LED strips, which can also be bought off ebay for cheap by the roll or pre-cut to your specified lengths from the right seller.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Miescha, Barman84, and Bevo1981,

Thanks guys! I just picked up Bike from getting my New Michelin Commander II front and rear tirers. They look good and only rode 10 miles so I couldn't tell much yet. I guess they take a few miles for the slickness to wear off.

Back to LED's. Yes, I did some searching and after I wrote this thread I saw the thread by NicholasRoss. Actually, I posted this in his thread, but I actually just ordered these yesterday March 12th. I happen to get the exact same thing as Nick Did. That is what I was planning on getting anyway, and after speaking to him that is what I went with.

It is the kit with 234 LED's and YES these are the BRIGHT 5050 ones. Miesha, regarding you SINGLE color comment. I got the Multi Color, BUT, it has like 7 different colors you can chose from to leave on solid at all times. So, in actuality, I don't see any advantage of getting 1 color, when the multi color kit CAN have 1 color, and you can change colors anytime you want to, so I can have Blue one day, then Red, Clear, Purple, Green, etc etc. etc.

Of course, it also has the feature built in where it has various light "modes", where is cycles through all the colors and puts on a Disco Show if that is what you want to do.

Yes you can buy lights cheaper and install them pretty easily, but it is still going to be much harder to do. If you have the time and talent to pull it off, more power to you.

I would rather pay a few more bucks and have everything I need in one kit to make it easy. The multi color is only a few bucks more than the single and it was a no brainer, for me, to go with that kit. This Kit retails for $260 so it is $1.11 a Light, BUT of course that includes all the other stuff too.

Here is the Kit I GOT

Premier 234 LED Full Body MultiColor Super Bright Motorcycle LED Kit W/ Remote Control

This is the top of the line full body Motorcycle led Kit! This led accent light kit comes with twenty (20) multicolor super bright LED strips!

This kit comes complete with remote controls, engine kit, road coverage kit and front and rear wheel kits!

This full body motorcycle led accent light kit makes some serious light! The multicolor full body kit comes with everything you need to install these bright LEDs anywhere you want on your motorcycle.

Each strip comes complete with heat resistent wire and quick connectors for easy installation. The front wheel multicolor flexible LED strips include six (6) feet of wire with connectors on the end for simple installation and no visible connectors!

The JoeFlorida Super Bright LED light kits use the latest LED technology. All of our Super Bright kits use the 5050 LED light strips. This technology is substantailly brighter than alternative kits using the 3528 LED light strips.

The kit includes:

Two (2) multicolor LED waterproof and shockproof flexible light strips each containing 27 super bright LEDs each. Each strip has connectors attached with heat resistant wire.
•Two (2) multicolor LED waterproof and shockproof flexible light strips each containing 18 super bright LEDs eash. Each strip has connectors attached with heat resistant wire.
•Sixteen (16) multicolor LED waterproof and shockproof flexible light strips each containing 9 super bright LEDs eash. Each strip has connectors attached with heat resistant wire (two of them with 6ft of wire for the front wheels)
•Extention and connection wire
•One (1) 15 function control box
•Two (2) remotes
•A fuse holder with two 5 amp fuses
•1oz of JoeFlorida silicone sealant
•Plastic wire ties
•Four (4) wire splice connector
•One (1) bottle of 3M 94 Primer Included!
•Easy to install instructions

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn

Last edited by 2009VStar950Bandit; 03-13-2014 at 09:29 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 PM

Just got the 36 LED kit from JF, hooked it up and...nothing. Not working Used the quick connect setup, and when husband probes negative connector with test light, (while hooked to neg battery terminal) the lights work. Test light is very dim. Something's not right, it shouldn't work that way...he's still trying to figure out what's wrong, called the number on the invoice and left a message.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 05:57 PM

How is the test light lighting up on a negative wire? Are the wires backwards?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:43 PM

We think the wires for the controller are backwards...one is very loose as well. So just hooked it up without, with off/on button, and no problems, works great just waiting to hear back from JF about the controller issue. Three more LED strips on the way...four isn't quite enough lol

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 AM

New controller, 3 more strips...everything works perfectly they didn't ask for the other controller back, I'm itching to tear into it to see what caused the issue, and if I can fix it. It did take them a few days to get back with us, I would imagine they are pretty busy this time of year,though. Other than that, extremely pleased and happy with Joe Florida lights!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode