Anyone ADD Yamaha Hard Leather Saddle Bags to their V-Star 950/1100/1300? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Anyone ADD Yamaha Hard Leather Saddle Bags to their V-Star 950/1100/1300?

I have a V-Star 950 (Non Touring Model) and I'm in a SaddleBag Delima.

I've gone back and forth between looking at other manufacturer's leather saddlebags (Kuryakyn/Edge, Saddleman, Viking, etc.) and the Yamaha Hard Bags that are stock on the V-Star 950 TOURING and other VStars.

Also going back n forth between plain and studded and THINK I'm going with the plain bags. Went to a yamaha dealer today that had some Saddlemen tear drop saddlebags (studs and non stud versions) and held them up to a stock V-Star 950 and me and the sales guy both liked the plain. Looked cleaner.

Anyway the other leather bags are way cheaper! BUT, to me the Yamaha hard bags look really nice and like they belong on the bike. Which of course they DO since they come with the Touring Model.

Has anyone added the Yamaha Hard Bags to their 950 or other no. Touring Model V-Star???

You also have to buy the mounting brackets and I Also really like the chrome frame that goes around the Bag. The hard bags and mount together retail for approx $1,200. That's not including the chrome rails.

I know they are $$$$$$$$$$ but they do look nice.

Also. Has anyone who added these OR already had them on their VStaf tried any of the Quick Release Mounting kits? Specifically, "Easy Brackets" or similar??? Will the Easy Bracket work with these hard bags? I assume you'd have to drill additional holes in the bag, as the stock holes might not be in the right place for that mounting solution???

I guess just using the stock Yamaha Mounting Kit would be OK to use and the bags would just stay on all the time.

If they were cheaper it would be an easy decision, but they are so expensive and I can pick up the Saddlemen Tear Drop Jumbo or Kuryakyn Edge 108 with locks for $200-$330 and the Easy Brackets mounts for $145.

Anyone have any experience with adding these bags to their 950, or any advice about my SaddleBag Delima??

Thanks!!!!!

Gary

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Keep watching the forums for a used OEM set or check ebay!
I bought a set from another forum member for $350 with the OEM
Brackets !
I love em they hold a lot and look proper on the bike!
You can also piece a set together if you can't find a full set!
Check pinwall cycles on eBay they have salvaged parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009VStar950Bandit View Post
I have a V-Star 950 (Non Touring Model) and I'm in a SaddleBag Delima.

I've gone back and forth between looking at other manufacturer's leather saddlebags (Kuryakyn/Edge, Saddleman, Viking, etc.) and the Yamaha Hard Bags that are stock on the V-Star 950 TOURING and other VStars.

Also going back n forth between plain and studded and THINK I'm going with the plain bags. Went to a yamaha dealer today that had some Saddlemen tear drop saddlebags (studs and non stud versions) and held them up to a stock V-Star 950 and me and the sales guy both liked the plain. Looked cleaner.

Anyway the other leather bags are way cheaper! BUT, to me the Yamaha hard bags look really nice and like they belong on the bike. Which of course they DO since they come with the Touring Model.

Has anyone added the Yamaha Hard Bags to their 950 or other no. Touring Model V-Star???

You also have to buy the mounting brackets and I Also really like the chrome frame that goes around the Bag. The hard bags and mount together retail for approx $1,200. That's not including the chrome rails.

I know they are $$$$$$$$$$ but they do look nice.

Also. Has anyone who added these OR already had them on their VStaf tried any of the Quick Release Mounting kits? Specifically, "Easy Brackets" or similar??? Will the Easy Bracket work with these hard bags? I assume you'd have to drill additional holes in the bag, as the stock holes might not be in the right place for that mounting solution???

I guess just using the stock Yamaha Mounting Kit would be OK to use and the bags would just stay on all the time.

If they were cheaper it would be an easy decision, but they are so expensive and I can pick up the Saddlemen Tear Drop Jumbo or Kuryakyn Edge 108 with locks for $200-$330 and the Easy Brackets mounts for $145.

Anyone have any experience with adding these bags to their 950, or any advice about my SaddleBag Delima??

Thanks!!!!!

Gary
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Scott. I have an eye on a set with mounts, but for about $225-$250 more than what you paid, I think thta is a fair deal, but we will see what happens. Another guy has them for $400, but he hasn't replied yet.

Glad you like yours. I am not 100% sure I will like them on the bike or not, but I think I will. It changes the look, that's for sure, I'm just not quite sure if it vhanges it for the better yet??

They do look nice on the bike and they look liek they belong there.

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn

Last edited by 2009VStar950Bandit; 03-15-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

It's Saturday Morning March 15th and I JUST pulled the Trigger and bought a used set of the stock Yamaha Hard Saddlebags, which includes Mounting Hardware, and he's even throwing in the Mink Oil that comes inside the Bags when you buy the bike. PayPal has been sent, and the Hard Bags are supposed to get shipped on Monday the 17th from Arkansas to Texas.

These came off Devilstar's 2012 Blue V-Star 950 Tourer, after a month of riding. So, they are in great shape and have seem little action.

I wasn't sure if I wanted these on my bike? I am not sure if my V-Star is going to look Better or Worse (Less cool)?????????

My 2009 V-Star 950 is Black, SO, the Bags will blend in well. I am thinking of Adding a set of the the Yamaha Star Accessories Hardbag Chrome "Saddlebag GUARDS", to give the bike and the bags a little more Chrome/Bling.

Of course Yamaha Way overcharges for these as they do with the damn HardBags which list at the dealer for around $1,100, and that's WITHOUT the Mounting Hardware which cost another $250.

These hard bag chrome guards are hard to find lots of info on and they don't explain I finally figured out what I need.

Of course the guards are NOT just 1 piece, they actually consist of 2 separate pieces that you have to purchase separately and those 2 pieces come together and are combined to make the "Guards". I am not convinced it's worth spending Over $400 for these things. They DO protect the bag, but I am getting them mostly for looks and then as a plus, the will absolutely protect the bags if the bike ever is on it's side.

Here is what the Guards look like.

What do YOU GUYS think? Do these look Cool and add to the appearance of the bike, or Not?

Last edited by 2009VStar950Bandit; 03-15-2014 at 09:35 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 05:14 PM

Its all personal choice. I was looking at the hard bags and all but I just couldn't justify it. I too also looked at the rails, cant believe its two pieces myself when shopping on ebay.

I am thinking of maybe selling the 950 in a year and maybe getting a stryker so I don't want to sink a bunch of money into parts .
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 05:28 PM

No rails IMHO. Cleaner look.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Dodge and Chazz,

Thanks! Dodge, I know the bags are a total rip off IF you add them later. I couldn't justify it either, but I paid a bit under $600 delivered for my Hard Bag Set (still a lot), but manageable. I've seen some going for cheaper, and some for more, but I think that what we agreed to is a fair deal for both of us.

Condition is important to me as a cheaper set that was beat up didn't interest me as much. These Hard Bags were taken off his bike after only about a month, and come with ALL hardware and mounting brackets. He was a nice guy and I enjoyed buying these from him, but I still haven't got them yet, but he sent pics. Also, just like when you get the Tourer NEW, there is a Jar of Mink Oil in the Bags. He is throwing in the Mink Oil too.

Other bags looked decent (Saddlemen Tear Drop, Kuryakyn Edge Bags, and a few others), BUT as far as Hard Bags go, I think the Yamaha Hard Bags look the best and compliment the bike the best. I would say they look like they belong on the bike, but that's silly, because in actuality, They Do!

My Delima in getting these was, is it going to turn my heavily Modded cool looking bike into a different look that I won't like as much? I actually HOPE and think I will like the bike better and it will seem more substantial. Again, I got these 50% for Looks and 50% for function.

Dodge, I was in a similar boat. This is my first bike and it's just for the weekends cruising around. I also like the Stryker and a few others, but, I've dumped in so much money into the Bike, that it would be dumb to sell it, plus I think it looks pretty good. I just wish it was a little bigger. I am 6 feet tall and the bike is fine, but it's a little on the small side for me.

I got a smoking deal on my Bike. The Guy bought his 2009 V-Star 950 Brand NEW from the dealer, but in 2011. It was stock except for the Yamaha detachable Sissy Bar he added, only had 730 miles on Odometer, and he also purchased a $1,500 dealer extended warranty through the end of 2016 which was transferred to me for free.

I paid $4,700 a little over a year ago. Since that time I think I have added approximately $5,500 in mods including these Bags I just bought. I have a little over $10,000 into the bike. Heck I could have gotten a used Harley, or a Stryker or paid a bit more for a Raider.

But too late now, and I do have a nice looking Bike, I think. Done several more mods since these pics.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM

I didn't add the rails, they were on the bike when I bought it. I will say, though, that they provide extra spots to hook bungee cords or straps to ... and they are plenty strong enough to provide extra support. They look "good" I guess, but they do make it more difficult to clean off the entire hard bag (hard to get behind the rails).

Honestly, I've been thinking about trying to modify some large cases that would fit in there, in place of the hard bags. The rails will help hold them in place.

Black Cherry Stealth
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 PM

I vote for the Saddlebag Rails, had them on my VStar 1300. Not opting for them on the Strat as I like the looks of the hardbags without them and since the hardbags are removable with 3 twist off pins I think the Rails would get in the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2259.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	26873  

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Tigerzeye,

It looks nice!! Thanks for the picture. I am correct that it is 2 seperate Pieces, Right???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode