What should I do??? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

What should I do???

Hey, I just bought a 2008 V star 1100 classic with 19 original kms. (about 11 miles). The bike has been sitting under cover in a garage since May, 2009 so she says. Her dad rode it home from the dealer and then passed away soon after. So my question is what oil should I use from now to 1000 kms, the first scheduled oil change. Does Yamaha use a break in oil on these new engines or is it regular motorcycle oil. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM

Change the oil , leave the filter and ride.......
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM

I don't know what oil is recommended for the 1100 but I would change oil and filter now. I understand that it has almost 0 miles on it but that oil has been sitting in the motor for a long time now.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:35 PM

think maybe he should squirt something into the cylinders to give it some lubrication
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 PM

If that bike had fuel in it the whole time expect varnish problems. They can come and go at any time even after you think the last is over. With a little luck...with a lot of luck you'll pass the varnish slowly and now gum up the system. Startron will work against gumming from alcohol, while Stabil's original formula works well with varnish. Hopefully, gently treating to stop any current buildup will restore the fuel system to optimum levels. This is all assuming you actually have problems whether you see them or not. With it sitting that long you should at least be prepared of the possibility.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Ya I think I will change out the oil and filter. I don't know if the filter would brake down over time but no point in taking chances. I've removed all the old gas i could and replaced it with new. I might look at using a fuel additive if the carbs are gummed up. Thanks everyone for your input.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshwetz View Post
Hey, I just bought a 2008 V star 1100 classic with 19 original kms. (about 11 miles). The bike has been sitting under cover in a garage since May, 2009 so she says. Her dad rode it home from the dealer and then passed away soon after. So my question is what oil should I use from now to 1000 kms, the first scheduled oil change. Does Yamaha use a break in oil on these new engines or is it regular motorcycle oil. Thanks in advance for any help.
Everything I say is 2nd hand, I'm not a mechanic. Yamaha ships new bikes with mineral 10/40, most sources I read say switch to synthetic after 1500 miles.

Our company runs a fleet of both gas and diesel powered vehicles. As to oil changes, our fleet manager says, "oil doesn't have an expiration date, the only thing that breaks down oil is mileage.

Lots of opinions on how to break in a new engine and when to change oil. Search on the web and decide for yourself. I changed the oil and filter at 100 miles, some say 1st change should be at 20.

Sounds like you got yourself a new bike without a new bike price, well done !!!!

I'm in Central Oregon, currently it's down in the lower 20's at night and mid 40's in the day. I ride when the sun shines. Yamaha ships with 10/40 so that's what I'm using as a break in oil.

Best of luck, have as much fun as you can safely have !!!!!

Don
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the input Don. I'm thinking that Yamaha has no special oil for the break in period so I think I'll go with tried and true 20/50w. My last V twin loved it. Lol!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 05:36 AM

i dont think you should put 20 50 in a brand new engine when it calls for 10 40 at least intil breakin
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I have looked for concrete info on the type of oil the bike is shipped with. So far I have only been able to find hear say. Most V twins run 20/50 and I don't think this one would be any different would it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode