Yamaha Recalls 09-12 V Star 950, V Star 1300 Possible Fuel Leak?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha Recalls 09-12 V Star 950, V Star 1300 Possible Fuel Leak??

This might be a False Alarm, but I was surfing and ran across this recall on 2009-2012 V-Star's (950 & 1300)?

Link:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2011/11/1...ble-fuel-leak/

Basically Says This:

number: 11V533000) regarding possible fuel leaks on 2009 thru 2012 model-year V Star 950 and V Star 950 Tourer manufactured October 2008 through August 2011. The recall also includes the 2007 V Star 1300 model with manufacture dates August 2006 to March 2007. A total of 2800 models are affected.

A separate recall (NHTSA campaign ID number: 11V532000) was issued by Yamaha for the 2012 Super Tenere with manufacture dates June 1, 2011 to August 31,2011. This recall also involves possible fuel leaks.

2009 2012 V Star 950, 950 Tourer and 2007 V Star 1300

According to the recall there may not be a proper seal between the fuel pipes for the fuel injectors and the fuel hose connecting them due to an improperly molded fuel hose. Over time, pressurized fuel may leak at the hose connection points, potentially leading to a fire hazard.

Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel delivery pipe free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on or before Nov. 11, 2011. Owners of the affected V Stars can contact Yamaha for more info at 1-800-926-7926.

It might not be anything, or out dated? I know I never got this done. Rather share with you guys just in case.

Bandit..........................

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

the recall went out about 2 1/2 years ago. you should notify your local yamaha dealer and have them check your VIN to see if you've had it done. if not, you should get it done ASAP.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

I just e-mailed previous owner to see where he got it at. His VIN wasn't AT MY local dealer or 2 others I checked with.

Will they fix it after 2 1/2 years??????????? I wonder if there is a time limit?

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 AM

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 07:45 AM

Mines an 08 but didn't need it. I guess it was for a new fuel line.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

My guy I contacted and he never had it done. Called the Dealer Maxim Honda & Yamaha in Allen, TX, Chris in service is super cool and on the ball, some places don't know what the hell they are doing when you call there.

Anyway, he looked up my VIN #, and said, YEP, your bike is Part of the Recall and NO, the Recall Service was Never Done.

I am not in a HUGE rush, but I will bring it in in the next week or so and let them knock it out. Why not, it's Free and will give me piece of mind.

I Love this Forum! Thanks for all you guys responses. I just was surfing the web, and ran across the recall and then got on here for confirmation.

I wish it was a recall where it made the bike perform better, but this recall sounds like a possible safety issue.

The Bandit...........................

Last edited by 2009VStar950Bandit; 03-22-2014 at 10:34 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009VStar950Bandit View Post

I wish it was a recall where it made the bike perform better, but this recall sounds like a possible safety issue.
a working bike performs better than one engulfed in a giant fireball.

how many miles does your bike have? since they will be lifting off your gas tank and in your engine, if it's anywhere close to your 16,000 mile valve clearance check, it would be best to get them to do that when they do the recall. will cost you less on labor than having it done on its own later.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 PM

Wish they would do a recall on the 1100s driveshaft failure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
a working bike performs better than one engulfed in a giant fireball.

how many miles does your bike have? since they will be lifting off your gas tank and in your engine, if it's anywhere close to your 16,000 mile valve clearance check, it would be best to get them to do that when they do the recall. will cost you less on labor than having it done on its own later.
Bevo,

I will answer your question, then go off on a separate tangent related to something completely different, like I usually do

I got my lightly ridden 2009 V-Star 950 from the original owner on April 9, 2013, with 730 miles on the Odometer. It's 11 months old with 4,500 Miles on her. So that equates to about 4,200 miles a year, so far. Sounds like it's too early to mess with that now

It is Smart of you thinking of that, and Ironic, because I was thinking to myself, I wonder if there is any MOD, or required service coming up they can do to the bike while they in there completing the Warranty Work?

Here come the 180 degree turn:

Also, I got my Joe Florida 234 Light LED Kit a few days ago and will now, Wait to install my LED's until I get the recall work completed. I'm installing LED's on the Undersides of the Tank, and know I can use a quick disconnect connector, but I might as well wait until I get the service completed before I start the LED Project so they don't have to mess with disconnecting my LED wires, etc.

On a similar note, I also just bought and received DevilStar's
(Star Forum Member) Yamaha Hard Bags off his V-Star 950 Cruiser.
I was planning to WAIT to add the Bags until I completed my LED's since I want to be able to have unobstructed access to my rear fender.

I still might go ahead and at least install the Hard Bag MOUNT Hardware to the frame. Then when I'm ready to add the Bags, I can add them quickly and easily to the Mounting Brackets.

I am also still trying to determine WHERE to position my LED's in the saddlebag area? I was thinking I might mount a few strips on the actual steel saddlebag hardware in some fashion? Maybe pointing down? Or, I might put some LED strips on the Bottoms of each Bag?

I am going to check with a few Guys that Have saddlebags and LED's to determine WHERE they incorporated their LED's in their saddlebag area.

Thanks

Bandit............................................

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:32 AM

I had my 1300 done and they told me it could start to leak causing fire hazard. It took them about an hour to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode