I'm going there... 650 Classic Weight Limit? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I'm going there... 650 Classic Weight Limit?

Thank God she doesn't frequent these forums... or at least I don't think she does! LOL!

But seriously... she's about 160lb. I'm 6ft and just shy of 300lbs. Sure, I've got myself a nice pony-keg but weight comes from the GUNS baybaaay! Ok, not really, but my Momma says I'm just big boned. And that's not a myth! Even the Doc says I'm naturally thick boned! Too bad the male genitalia wasn't an actual bone... but I digress, LOL! (Did I mention I'm a part-time comedian? I can prove it! I don't bring in a paycheck, my life sucks and everyone laughs at me!)

Eh? EH? C'mon... that was funny!

Anywho (I hate when people say anywho - I'm saying it out of spite), I gave my girl a ride the other day. My very first time riding with a passenger. I take that back. I did give my daughters a quick ride around the block at super slow speeds - and they loved it! They want me to take them to school on the bike now! Is there a legal age limit for passengers on a bike? Do they have to have helmets while under-age? They're sooo tiny... can they BOTH ride with me??? Ok, I better explain myself before you start hating on me...

I know I sound like a horrible irresponsible Dad... which also means "super cool fun Dad" but I swear to you my kids are my life - I would NEVER do anything to endanger them. The speeds I drove were too slow to do any damage and IF IF IF I slipped and fell... I'd take the brunt of the force - even if it meant allowing the bike to take damage and/or land on ME. Trust me. I was and will be SUPER careful. And I know that I'm not in control all the time... the cages are out to get us!! That's why I only took them for a ride up and down my road in the country where there is no traffic.

Ok so moving on to the purpose of this post....

I took my wife... er, ex-wife.... er, well - not ever actually married. If common-law still existed then we'd be that. But it doesn't soooo, she's technically my ex-fiancé - I'm trying to work it out. But that one band said it best in that one song... "She F***ing Hates Me!" so it is what it is. Long story short, (or NOT so short as you can tell... by the way, kudos to you for sticking it out this long! You earn a Gold Star!) she was out at the house and we were talking and I finally got everything setup and, with some persuasion, talked her into riding with me!

Of course, I took it easy with her. She made me promise I'd go easy and I always keep my word (plus it was super cold AND getting dark out) so I took her out and topped out at about 35mph. I could have taken it faster but I believe in safety first and this was my first time with the added weight. It actually didn't make much of a difference except when I stopped and had to manually back it up to get it turned around to head back home. The ride was good and she wasn't terrified. And I think she trusts me on it a bit more.

Sooooo (now we get to the point) she ran slightly more sluggish but not too bad. Still very much doable on an actual long ride BUT every bump we hit - she (the bike) bottomed out. Not the frame but the back tire! Something was rubbing! Very scary feeling/sounding! What could it be??

My first and only thought was that the rear nut for the rear seat was/is too long and when we hit the bumps... you know. But wouldn't it have to be awfully long for that to happen??? Could it be anything else? I hope not - that was the only bolt I could find that would FIT! I can see us bottoming out the springs from the weight of almost 500lbs but it still shouldn't let the tire rub!?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Wow... did I really type all of that for a simple question?

Two words. Red Bull.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 AM

I thought that I read that the weight limit on the 650 is somewhere around 425lbs. Probably not a good idea to exceed that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Meh, what's an extra 30lbs, LOL!
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Weight limit? Hahaha, yeah we go way beyond that any time we travel..

We've put on a little bit of weight since we last went anywhere, back then I was at 175 and she was at 95. Our gear, armored pants, boots, armored jackets, helmets etc easily weigh 20lbs for mine 15 for hers.

One saddlebag has cooking gear, coleman lantern/stove, camp fuel, food and supplies for an extended time on the road and a 3 man tent on top. Other has thermarest pads, sleeping bags and rest of the camp supplies. Tour pack has 2 duffle bags for mine and her clothes etc, and top roll bag for light weight stuff we need easy access to. Laptop, DC/AC inverter that runs off the bike for charging everything (we were without electricity for 12 days at one point) camera gear bag behind the windshield. Anyway, probably 75-80 pounds on both sides and 60 on the back.

One casualty of all the weight on the back, my nice heavy duty nicely chromed rack bent severely where the side supports ended and had to rig up something sturdier on the way:

We also bought tons of souvenirs along the way and had to keep shipping them home in the flat rate boxes from the PO when we ran out of room.

We probably stayed around 500lbs on the bike.

I would not recommend it on a stock bike, it would feel pretty sluggish and may get you into trouble if you needed to accelerate to get out of a situation. This bike has had quite a few mods and a lot of dyno tuning to work out jetting due to my living at very high altitude. If you haven't upgraded the clutch springs you'd likely feel slippage whenever nailing the throttle like we did on previous trips before fixing that and replacing clutch disks.

If the bike is tuned good with aftermarket or gutted pipes and new air intake to open it up you'll barely notice the extra weight, although if you have too much on the very back the steering gets very light and a touch squirrely. With the suspension set on the highest we almost never bottomed out, just on some pretty bad washboards on dirt that we were also hitting the frame on and a couple of other questionable places we probably shouldn't have taken a heavily loaded down cruiser

A lot more pics of that particular trip here http://ziariderblog.com/category/trips/2010-trip/

Last edited by LynxSS; 03-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericke View Post
Thank God she doesn't frequent these forums... or at least I don't think she does! LOL!

But seriously... she's about 160lb. I'm 6ft and just shy of 300lbs. Sure, I've got myself a nice pony-keg but weight comes from the GUNS baybaaay! Ok, not really, but my Momma says I'm just big boned. And that's not a myth! Even the Doc says I'm naturally thick boned! Too bad the male genitalia wasn't an actual bone... but I digress, LOL! (Did I mention I'm a part-time comedian? I can prove it! I don't bring in a paycheck, my life sucks and everyone laughs at me!)

Eh? EH? C'mon... that was funny!

Anywho (I hate when people say anywho - I'm saying it out of spite), I gave my girl a ride the other day. My very first time riding with a passenger. I take that back. I did give my daughters a quick ride around the block at super slow speeds - and they loved it! They want me to take them to school on the bike now! Is there a legal age limit for passengers on a bike? Do they have to have helmets while under-age? They're sooo tiny... can they BOTH ride with me??? Ok, I better explain myself before you start hating on me...

I know I sound like a horrible irresponsible Dad... which also means "super cool fun Dad" but I swear to you my kids are my life - I would NEVER do anything to endanger them. The speeds I drove were too slow to do any damage and IF IF IF I slipped and fell... I'd take the brunt of the force - even if it meant allowing the bike to take damage and/or land on ME. Trust me. I was and will be SUPER careful. And I know that I'm not in control all the time... the cages are out to get us!! That's why I only took them for a ride up and down my road in the country where there is no traffic.

Ok so moving on to the purpose of this post....

I took my wife... er, ex-wife.... er, well - not ever actually married. If common-law still existed then we'd be that. But it doesn't soooo, she's technically my ex-fiancé - I'm trying to work it out. But that one band said it best in that one song... "She F***ing Hates Me!" so it is what it is. Long story short, (or NOT so short as you can tell... by the way, kudos to you for sticking it out this long! You earn a Gold Star!) she was out at the house and we were talking and I finally got everything setup and, with some persuasion, talked her into riding with me!

Of course, I took it easy with her. She made me promise I'd go easy and I always keep my word (plus it was super cold AND getting dark out) so I took her out and topped out at about 35mph. I could have taken it faster but I believe in safety first and this was my first time with the added weight. It actually didn't make much of a difference except when I stopped and had to manually back it up to get it turned around to head back home. The ride was good and she wasn't terrified. And I think she trusts me on it a bit more.

Sooooo (now we get to the point) she ran slightly more sluggish but not too bad. Still very much doable on an actual long ride BUT every bump we hit - she (the bike) bottomed out. Not the frame but the back tire! Something was rubbing! Very scary feeling/sounding! What could it be??

My first and only thought was that the rear nut for the rear seat was/is too long and when we hit the bumps... you know. But wouldn't it have to be awfully long for that to happen??? Could it be anything else? I hope not - that was the only bolt I could find that would FIT! I can see us bottoming out the springs from the weight of almost 500lbs but it still shouldn't let the tire rub!?

Thoughts?
Sugar Bear tries to crack a funny once in awhile, BUT what the hell was that all about?

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Think this guy has you beat for hard to read Sugar Bear. And that's an accomplishment.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 PM

The short answer:

Step 1 - Get a bigger bike.

Since you seem to like more words even when fewer will do... I present, the longer answer:

Step 1 - Keep the same bike
Step 2 - Eat less
Step 3 - Workout more (lose weight)
Step 4 - Attract smaller girlfriend
Step 5 - Piss her off = lighter weight "ex-whatever you wanna call her"
Step 6 - Take the $$ you saved by eating less and buy your kids some helmets

I tried.. still couldn't put it into essay form...
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:44 PM

650 is a super small bike. Especially for your size (i.e. "Fat"). Just kidding I'm a comedian too. It seems like you guys are already hitting on something when riding in "full pork mode".

So, I would try to see what was rubbing? Maybe the part in question is minor, and can be modded, or moved to a different location, and I'm not talking about your big ass. I mean something on the bike that can be moved to eliminate the rubbing.

OK, I'll quit trying to be funny! Only kidding, coming at you from one comic to another. I not trying to brag, but was on Jimmy Kimmel in Feb 2012, but I don't like to brag, so I won't.

Let's just say, I've been in a movie probably every one if you have seen. Did over $62MM in revenue at the box office and lots more on DVD and on demand.
I'm Not the major star, but made enough to buy my VStar and a small house.

Not sure if the 650 has adjustable shocks? If so set to tightest setting. I'm 6' and 198 lbs. and have a VStar 950. It's great but it's a little small, short for me.

Sounds like you ride quite a bit. Move up to a 950 or 1300 IF you want to stick with a Yamaha. At least your enjoying your bike and your girl rides with you.

My wife isn't into riding on the back. We have a 4 year old daughter and she wasn't thrilled that I got the bike to begin with as unjust showed up with it one evening.

But it's better to ask for forgiveness.

Good Luck!

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn

Last edited by 2009VStar950Bandit; 03-24-2014 at 11:50 PM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 AM

If you have the stock seat on still that rubbing is the pillion mounting bracket bolts, be careful it can cut your tire right in half

stiffen up the suspension adjustment to the highest, get a road star spring if you need to to stop the rubbing and start saving to trade up to a bigger bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode