Loading on V Star 1300 Deluxe? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Loading on V Star 1300 Deluxe?

The owners manual lists loading at 463pounds including accessories.

The bike came equipped with faring, wind shield, speakers, gps and hard saddle bags. Are these accessories already in the curb weight or do these count in the 463 weight capacity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:49 PM

Scratch the previous comment.

Where are you getting 463. My book shows 414 lbs.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 03-24-2014 at 04:05 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Ahh! I double checked my hard copy manual that is dated November 2012 and you are correct. The November manual replaces the July 2012 manual which is the one that downloads from the Yamaha website. The July manual on page 9-2 lists 463.

So I stand corrected to 414 pounds. Is it safe to figure those 49 pounds are the accessories that come stock over the V Star 1300?

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 PM

Probably is. I've got the bags off right now. They are pretty light. The fairing is probably the majority of the weight. Any way you look at it though, the 414 is the payload with the windscreen and bags installed. It would be higher if you removed them.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm planning on riding 2Up this summer and want to make sure we have the capacity for our essentials for a long weekend. Of course my essentials tend to be more spartan than the wife's. So I want to know how much weight we have to play with.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 PM

I'm 250 and my wife's 120ish. We haven't had a problem yet. We keep the tires aired to 36 and 41. The shock goes to the third notch from the end, whatever number that is. I am thinking about removing a couple cc's of shock oil and adding 1/2" preload to the front. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the forks may be overfilled, but not by much. Just enough to increase ride harshness in the front.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Sparkn, that's the very kind of info I'm interested in. Our total weight is similar to you and you wife, just distributed a little differently.

I'm back to riding after about 25 years and this bike is the first I've owned that has an adjustable preload. I'm not feeling the front to be overly firm but will reserve judgement on that since I only have about 400 miles on the new bike.

We won't be riding 2up for at least a couple more months since I want or refine my riding before my wife rides with me. No need to scare her off early! LOL

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM

When my wife wanted to ride pillion, I gave her the appropriate sections (from MSF class and DMV test booklet) on 2up riding to read so she would know what to expect and how to respond. She's been great! I would definitely say, though, that you should practice finishing your braking to a stop with the back brake. The front should be released just before a complete stop to keep the from dumping. The tendency for the bike to want to dump is more pronounced with more weight. Try it a few times and you'll see exactly what I mean. Anything but a nearly perfect straight line stop will lean the bike over if the front brake is applied at that last moment. Release the front brake and you'll immediately feel the bike want to straighten back up. Just a tip. There are some great videos and reads out there for you since it sounds like this may be uncharted territory for you. I wish I knew the links and titles. This forum has them floating around.

It also stands to reason that if you are stopping on a bend to plan it so you can straighten up before coming to a complete stop. There's an intersection near my house that I really should film if for nothing else but the shear number of bikes that get dumped for stopping on a turn. Their feet are usually splayed out so you know the back brakes weren't even in the equation.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 03-24-2014 at 06:13 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

My wife is soooooo cool, she took the MSF course with me! So she has some understanding of what it's all about. Her 80 year old mother started riding pillion back in 1998. Her daughter seems to think if mom can do it so can she! I married into an interesting family to say the least!

We will be taking short trips starting in a couple of months and I'll remember your advice on braking and stopping!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 PM

After 25 years I decided to buy a bike back and the wife was sceptical about riding again. I lost my endorsement when I got my bus license so had to test over. I took a year to get used to riding again and she didn't know if she wanted to ride again. After I passed all the tests I needed to run an errand and asked her to ride along so she could check it out, she nowwants to go almost more than me, but I enjoy doing it together. We have not yet made a big trip with the bike yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode