Can the seat be moved back? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Can the seat be moved back?

I have a 09 vstar 650 classic. It is a daily commuter so the small size is nice HOWEVER, I do feel as though I am straddling the tank and my feet are comfortable on the front half of the floorboards. If I could move the seat back about 2-3" inches, it would be just about perfect.

Anyone know if that is possible and what all it would entail?

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:47 PM

You could always buy a smaller seat. But it would be a lot cheaper to add forward forward controls so you can move your feet forward, instead of moving the seat backwards.

Ride or Die!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 PM

Here is my bike with 6" forward controls compared to the stock controls.

Ride or Die!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396039781389.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	27369  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 PM

Yep I would just go with extensions then amigo. Your going to pay out the butt for a new seat that puts you back maybe an inch at most.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 04:39 PM

I also agree, forward controls. But if you want to be moved back a bit a smaller seat will work, but only move you back an inch or two. Because of the fender you really can't move the seat itself further back.

If you like your current seat I wouldn't change it. A comfortable seat is a good seat, don't change it.

However, if you are interested in trying out something for not much money I will have a PCS tour seat for sale sometime over the summer.

I just took a look at PCS website. $125 for the reshaping. 14 years ago when I had mine reshaped it was like $70.

http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/..._650_seats.htm
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 05:54 PM

Im 6'2" and I added the forward control extension (4 inch). It really helped. The 650 is really a great bike and really fun to ride.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga View Post
However, if you are interested in trying out something for not much money I will have a PCS tour seat for sale sometime over the summer.

I just took a look at PCS website. $125 for the reshaping. 14 years ago when I had mine reshaped it was like $70.

http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/..._650_seats.htm
I do like the way the "Potato Chip" looks. May have to try that AND forward controls.. Thanks for all the input!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

A quick follow up: I liked the "potato chip" seat and found some instructions for a DIY version. I shaved down my foam and re-upholstered the seat in just a couple of hours. I like it much better with one exception.. It made my ride position better but made my leg position worse. I was a little further back but also further down so I was still "cramped"

Got the 4" forward controls extension and WOW, what a difference. I feel much more relaxed and no more hip cramps!

Thanks for your input and pointing me towards these mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode