too much oil? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

too much oil?

So I recently changed my oil, this is my first time doing it on my bike (03 1100 classic). Well I followed instructions of other members which said 3.25 quarts, I only put 3 in to start. Well long story short after putting everything back together and firing it up to let the oil circulate I feel like theres too much in there. When I get the bike as level as I can and check through the oil glass it seems like it covers the whole glass and not inbetween the two hash marks.

What did I do wrong that 3 quarts was too much where other put in 3.25...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 03:08 PM

Stupid question but, did you wait long enough for the oil to settle?

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 PM

Garage
Did you change the filter too? When I change mine with the filter 3 quarts brings it to the middle of the sight gauge.

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 PM

sit on the bike and hold it level and have someone else look at the site glass. I have an ORK on my bike and with a oil and filter change it takes 3 quarts of oil to get the level between the marks on the site glass. if your filter is inside the crankcase then 3 quarts should bring the level close to the top of the site glass. thats if the bike is level.

02 Vstar 1100 classic
Samson Warloard Ripsaws
chubby pod kit/maxair pms screws
barons ork
kuryakyn isso grips
breakaway cruise cont.
driver backrest
barons DT risers
barons tackometer
oem passing lights
crome visors on all lights & signals
drag highway pegs
viking studded bags
sissy bar with rack
studded front and rear seats
studded gas tank bib with pouch
clocks for bikes- stem mount
Ram mount& hard wire for GARMIN GPS
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
sit on the bike and hold it level and have someone else look at the site glass. I have an ORK on my bike and with a oil and filter change it takes 3 quarts of oil to get the level between the marks on the site glass. if your filter is inside the crankcase then 3 quarts should bring the level close to the top of the site glass. thats if the bike is level.
yes I changed the filter as well. I will see if I can find a volunteer to lend me a hand when I sit on it and hold it up.

When I fired it up and let it run for a while I felt like it was blowing a little smoke out of the tail pipe (burning oil?)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM

When I cold start my bike with the choke on it will smoke a bit. thats to be expected. once the choke is turned off it clears up. if your bike still smokes when its fully warmed up, then I would suspect a rich carb mixture. A quick look at your spark plugs would indicate how the motor is running. I dont think 3 quarts of oil is too much. put some miles on and keep and eye on the level. and think of me when your out riding because there is still 3 feet of snow on the ground here and more on the way.

02 Vstar 1100 classic
Samson Warloard Ripsaws
chubby pod kit/maxair pms screws
barons ork
kuryakyn isso grips
breakaway cruise cont.
driver backrest
barons DT risers
barons tackometer
oem passing lights
crome visors on all lights & signals
drag highway pegs
viking studded bags
sissy bar with rack
studded front and rear seats
studded gas tank bib with pouch
clocks for bikes- stem mount
Ram mount& hard wire for GARMIN GPS
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
When I cold start my bike with the choke on it will smoke a bit. thats to be expected. once the choke is turned off it clears up. if your bike still smokes when its fully warmed up, then I would suspect a rich carb mixture. A quick look at your spark plugs would indicate how the motor is running. I dont think 3 quarts of oil is too much. put some miles on and keep and eye on the level. and think of me when your out riding because there is still 3 feet of snow on the ground here and more on the way.
I still have about 2 ft...all of my 'riding' consists of sitting on it in the garage and starting it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 PM

Too Much??

How much oil did you drain when you drained your oil? I know on my 1300 there are 2 bolts on the bottom to drain oil. 1 lets out half a quart, and the other lets out all the oil. My chiltons book was wrong about which one to drain. I wouldn't run it any more and if your sight glass is full, your crank case is full. You can always clean your oil catcher and drain the oil again to see how much comes out. But like i said before, check your sight glass, if its full, your crank case is full.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widow Maker View Post
How much oil did you drain when you drained your oil? I know on my 1300 there are 2 bolts on the bottom to drain oil. 1 lets out half a quart, and the other lets out all the oil. My chiltons book was wrong about which one to drain. I wouldn't run it any more and if your sight glass is full, your crank case is full. You can always clean your oil catcher and drain the oil again to see how much comes out. But like i said before, check your sight glass, if its full, your crank case is full.
I drained my oil into a pan then dumped it into a gallon milk jug, when I put it in the jug it filled about half way (minus some that didn't make it in due to my poor pouring skills) That would lead me to believe approximately 3 quarts came out, I know what a half court would look like and stop knowing that isn't correct.

I just put new pipes on and ran it to see what they sound like, I have it sitting up on blocks now level and I will go check in 15 min to see what the eye glass looks like after the oil sets.

I have no issue draining this oil and buying another 3 if that saves my engine to be sure.

When I changed the oil, I didn't warm the bike up first and I changed it in about 30 deg F. I let the oil drain out for about 30 min and just left it unplugged while I began to take apart the filter housing which I thought was enough time, could that not have been long enough due to the viscosity being thick and not allowing all the oil to drain out? There wasn't even any dripping out when I put the plug back in. I also let it drain while it was sitting on its kick stand not on level. Does that make a difference.

Sorry for the story...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

So to feel better about myself I went out and drained appx 1/2 quart from the bike, it dropped down near the bottom hash mark on the glass, then I slowly added new oil to bring me to about half way between the hash marks and fired it up (this is all while the bike is level)

I started the bike and let the oil circulate and looked at the glass while it was running, I couldn't see any oil in the glass while the bike was running (is this normal?) after letting the bike sit (turned off) for a couple minutes I notice that the oil settles back into the glass, but didn't appear to be as high as it was when I just filled it to mid way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode