Question for the bigger folks riding the 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Question for the bigger folks riding the 950

So I'm looking for my first bike and for safety reasons it has been suggested to start with a smaller bike such as a 950. Well I'm 6'2" and 260lbs. Are there any of you out there near that size riding a 950? I understand the reasoning for starting out on a smaller bike but I don't want to be uncomfortable and miserable on one either
Just looking for opinions from the XL folks, if any, on a 950.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 AM

Im only guessing here but would think someone your size would find the 1300 just as easy to manage.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Well that's exactly why I asked the question. I'm thinking the same thing but since I don't have any seat experience I don't know. Folks are suggesting save money and buy a smaller bike but heck I can buy a 1300 or even a Road Star for what I can find 950s for. I'm really not scared of the weight and as far as the power of a larger bike, well that's just common sense to stay off the throttle. I know the first bike will not be my last but would really rather not end up wanting to replace it in 6 months. But on the flip side I have no issue buying a 950 if its frame is large enough to fit comfortable and it has enough umph to push me down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 AM

It has enough OOOMP for sure. That's no issue. I'm 6' and 197 lbs and it's fine for me, but the seat height is a little low. I wish the bike was bigger and I am not sure how much taller the 1300 seat height is. Again, you'll have no issues on the 950 with your height or weight, but if your worried about the need for upgrading too soon with the 950,get a 1300.

I mena have you ever rode a bike before? If not, maybe the 950, if you have get the 1300, or get the bike you find that is the best bike/deal you find. You might find a 950 with a bunch of mods on it like a Vance & Hines exhaust, computer programmer, air intake, etc.

If I was you, I'd ride BOTH and then you'll know for sure. I'm smart.

LA Choppers XXX Big Air Kit, Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 POWRPRO, Cobra Freeway Bars, Ultimate Seat, D&M HID Headlight, Clevver Clutch Mod, Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signals & Brake Light, Triple Whammy Brake Flasher, Show Chrome Belt Guard, Oil Cap, Frame Covers, Chrome Engine Guard, Brake Reservoir, Chrome Fork Bullets, Chrome Analog Clock, Mustang Tank Bib, Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Chromed Spike Ends, Kuryakyn Chrome Floorboards, Shifter, Brake Cover, WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM

I'm 6'0", 240 (I'm workin' on it).
I bet you might be happier on a bigger bike.
I love my 950 and it does all it should do, but at 6'2", you'll definitely be sitting on top of the thing.
Go bigger.

2009 V Star 950T
Prior Bike (long ago)
1983 Honda Magna V65
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 PM
krb

Given your size, I suspect that a 'Liner is in your future.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM

I'm 6'3" 270 with a 38" inseam and I am a little cramped on wifes 950T. The way around that would be an engine guard with road pegs so I could stretch out on longer rides. The 950 has plenty of power and handles very good along with superb fuel mileage if driven reasonably. I enjoy getting on it and going for short rides just because it handles so nimble, especially after getting off of my Ultra.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

go to a dealer and sit on one. the best way to see how it fits you.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:05 AM

I'm 6'4 260 and I am plenary comfortable on my 950t. I looked at the 1300 and it wasn't all that much bigger. The break could be moved a bit forward off the floorboard. As far as power. My wife and I rode 300 miles this weekend up to Malibu canyon and roads the Snake to the rock cafe. Well let's just say my little lady easily doubles our load and the bike had no problem climbing an 8% grade and 180* turns. She complains about the factory pillion so a mustang seat is on the list.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
So I'm looking for my first bike and for safety reasons it has been suggested to start with a smaller bike such as a 950. Well I'm 6'2" and 260lbs. Are there any of you out there near that size riding a 950? I understand the reasoning for starting out on a smaller bike but I don't want to be uncomfortable and miserable on one either
Just looking for opinions from the XL folks, if any, on a 950.
I'm 6 feet and a shade under 190 pounds. I came back to riding after nearly 30 years. I bought a V Star 1300. It is a big bike and the difference in seat height on a 650, a 950 and the 1300 is not all that different for taller folks. I really enjoy my bike but I think I should have started with a 650 or 950 for a while. I'm sure I could have gotten my money back had I bought the smaller used bike and sold it 6 months or a year later. It is easier to build your riding skills with the smaller bike.

Take a beginning rider course. You will notice a big difference in the ease of handling of the smaller 250 cc bikes they typically use for the courses.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode