Another Lean Carb Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Another Lean Carb Question

After modifying my exhaust (1 1/2" hole saw) and removing the AIS I still had some backfiring on deceleration. After lots of reading on here and in the KB I figured I'd remove the carbs and drill out the brass plug so I could adjust the PMS. Anyway, I read something that said not to separate the carbs when I had them out and I don't plan on it but I discovered they were very loose not tightly held together. The two long bolts had backed out some. I see a gasket between the two carb bodies, is there some sort of balance tube between them or what is it? Since the carbs were loose, could this be the cause of it being lean? I put lock washers on the bolts and tightened everything back up. Front PMS was @ 1.5 turns out and rear was just a bit more than 2 turns out. I've set both @ 2.5 turns out to start. Waiting to put the carbs back on until I get some feedback on the loose issue.

BTW, this is on an '03 1100 Classic all stock except for the exhaust mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 PM

I would start at 3.5 and work my way backwards. Check your plugs every 30 or so miles and see if its rich or lean.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM

Talking

if your getting popping on decelleration its because you drilled your pipes the bikes come lean from the factory and the popping is muffled by the stock pipes. the kb calls for two turns out mine was set stock at 1 and 3/4s you might be a little rich .i would check your plugs in 500 miles might be a bit tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, from what I've read, I'm fairly confident I can get the PMS adjusted properly. It will just take going slowly. My main concern was the issue with the carbs not being tightly secured to each other and any problems that may have caused if any.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 AM

Another Lean Carb Question

3.5 turns would be too much for stock intake and simply drilled exhaust. I would reset to stock, then go out a 1/4 turn at a time till you're good.

I don't know about the carbs being loose, I'd call a local shop and talk to their mechanic.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken448 View Post
AIS will cause popping on decel too

He removed the AIS

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

I finished up my spring maintenance on the bike this morning which included checking valve adjustment. Intake valves were in range (.003-.005") but the exhaust were tighter than the .007" spec. I didn't check what they were but they had very little movement. I adjusted the intakes to their max spec of .005" and the exhaust to .007" and then reinstalled the carbs. Bike started right up without using the choke and after it warmed up I reved it up a few times and no more popping on deceleration. Everything seems ok, so it's time for first ride of the season.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Did you find out any info about the loose carbs? I've never read anywhere in the rejetting instructions not to separate them. I separated them to get extra clearance for a wrench when rejetting my carbs.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM

according to clymers your intake if im looking at the right place should be.07 to.12 and the exhaust should be.12 to .17 these are in milimeters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode