Lowering a VStar 650 Classic - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Lowering a VStar 650 Classic

Looking at best practice lowering a VStar 650 Classic. Need to lower for safe riding and enjoyment. I would like to minimize harsh ride. Goal is about 2" drop. Also move handlebars towards rider with riser pull-back. Mod to accommodate short inseam rider. Suggestion from those that have done this mod. Thanks.

“Sursum Ab Ordine”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Youve got a few choices here...

To move the bars you can either get a new set with more pull back you can go with mini apes as well that have some pull back. Measure your bars I forgot the stock measurements and then get on pretty much any online motorcycle parts dealer and look at those measurement.

The hold a piece of PVC pipe up to figure out the pull back you want in the riding position you desire worked best and have a buddy measure the differance from the stockers to where your hands are.

Lowering is fairly simple you can either buy the kits both front and rear or you can do the Jslam and trim a little off the spacer on the front end.

Honestly if you go the free route change the front fork oil as well to 20w... I prefer progressive springs and trime the ring to where I like the bike to sit I put a piece of tape between the lower fork and the upper so I can see how much it moves with each change when trimming the stock spacer or using the progressive spring and spacer...

You will be best to cut no more than 1/4" off at a time and re-install and check to see where its at.

To get to the top end you have to take the handle bars off anyways so this would be a good idea to have your new bars ready when you go to drop the front... Anyways those two big nuts on the top of the tree is what you remove to get to the springs you will need a good dremel cutoff wheel and a coat hanger to do the job.

Enjoy and have fun. Also, a new seat with a lower ride height might do it for you as well as you don't enjoy a harsh ride.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Great inputs. Thanks!

“Sursum Ab Ordine”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode