Brake locked up - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Brake locked up

Arrggghhh! Season not starting off good. Yesterday, preparing to clean my bike, I sprayed the wheels down with spray-nine. A couple hours later, and before I washed it, I had to run up to the store (about 1.5-2 miles) to pick up something for dinner. Jumped on the bike, got what I needed and headed back.

Got out on the road and went about 1/2 mile and stopped at a red light. (up slight incline) Light changed and when I released the brake, I noticed the bike didn't roll back. Got through the intersection and bike started bogging down and finally, came to a complete stop with front wheel completely locked. Couple of good samaritans stopped and helped me get it off the highway. Sat for a few minutes waiting for a tow and noticed that the front wheel seemed free. Started and all seemed well. Got about two blocks from the house and locked up again. Fifteen minutes later, rode the bike on home and parked.

Left front rotor shows heat discoloration. It seems that the brake locked up when it got hot and released within a matter of 10-15 minutes.

Question: Do you think the spray-nine did something to the brake pads? If a caliper piston was frozen, wouldn't it stay frozen? What would cause the brake to lock after riding a half-mile or so and then free up when it cooled down? It's raining today so the bike is under cover (I live in a condo - no garage) Tomorrow I'm going to pull the calipers and check the pads and pistons but just wondering what would cause this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 01:40 PM

Have you ever flushed the old brake fluid out and replaced it with new? Brake fluid absorbs water and over time could cause that problem.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Yes; the front master cylinder was damaged last summer in an accident and was replaced along with the brake fluid. I'll know more about the problem tomorrow when I pull the calipers and pads.

I've thought about it today and it seems possible that the cylinder is sticking and very slowly releases. That would explain the fact that after a few minutes the brake frees up. I'm hoping a caliper rebuild will solve the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode