tank question on 2007 vstar 1100 classic - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

tank question on 2007 vstar 1100 classic

I am trying to judge my fuel tank to know when i have to fill up. i stalled out today at 105 miles. I couldnt get the bike started, i switched to reserve tank and it started after a few tries. Is it possible I used a tank already? When i went and filled up it took a little less than 10 litres or a little over 2 gallons for our southern friends. I'm thinking it was a fluke and that the bike still needs some tweaking after the new exhaust and the removal of the ARI but curious what people are getting for miles on a tank. I am planning a ride to Indianapolis in august and I'm nervous about making sure everything is perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 PM

At a 100 miles I am looking at 120 I am searching. I ride it easy and 120-130 I am switching to reserve. Also the type of pump makes a difference some let you fill some stop you short.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianinottawa View Post
I am trying to judge my fuel tank to know when i have to fill up. i stalled out today at 105 miles. I couldnt get the bike started, i switched to reserve tank and it started after a few tries. Is it possible I used a tank already? When i went and filled up it took a little less than 10 litres or a little over 2 gallons for our southern friends. I'm thinking it was a fluke and that the bike still needs some tweaking after the new exhaust and the removal of the ARI but curious what people are getting for miles on a tank. I am planning a ride to Indianapolis in august and I'm nervous about making sure everything is perfect.
If I remember correctly from last summer I would fill up around every 120-150 miles depending how hard I was on the bike, and It would take around 3 gallons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:34 PM

tank question on 2007 vstar 1100 classic

I generally fill up around 120 miles, I'll run dry around 140 if I don't switch to reserve.

I also fill it about as full as I can.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward

Last edited by SThomas; 04-06-2014 at 07:39 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:45 PM

Garage
Adrian, I get to 225 kms before I switch to reserve and thats good for another 50 to 70 kms. The tank holds approx 22 ltrs just about 4 us gals. You fuelled up with 10 litres. Once you fuelled up, did you switch back to normal? From what you describe, looks like something might of blocked the normal side of your petcock and by switching to res, that side was opened and allowed a good fuel flow. I would empty the tank out , remove the petcock check it and check inside the tank for water/debris.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like I missed something then. Corsair I speak miles because my bike is an American bike brought up here so it's all in miles I am sure that the bike sat for a long time before the dealer brought it up and sold it here so I'm sure I have not seen the last quirky thing to happen
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM

I never go past 105 on mine. I just fill her up around 90-105 and call it a day. I do this on both bikes.

On the last long ride ie over 400 miles I went to about 130ish before flipping to reserve at a nice subtle 65 the whole time not getting on it thats the longest I have ever made it on the main though. Usually about 120 or less and its flipped. I knew another gas station was 2 miles down the road on the 130 though so I wanted to see if it still had room.

Also, if you ever go on a long trip its handy to keep an extra gallon or so with you in a saddlebag. I have one small gas can in mine when I go on long tours just in case you get stuck somewhere and you can't make it the next few miles. Beats pushing your bike or worse walking away while you go to get gas on the side of the road.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM

your mileage per tank will very between city and highway riding. also, how well you fill your tank will determine how far you can go. yamaha put a long neck in the gas tank so you dont over fill the tank and leaves room for the gas to expand and thats fine if your just riding around town most of the time, however, when Im travelling and going from gas stop to gas stop, I will shake my bike with my knee {gently} when im filling it so that I can get in as much gas as possible. the gas wont have time to expand because it will get burned up as you go. I average around 230 klms before switching to reserve highway riding only. the clymer manual states the gas tank capasity is 4.5US gallons and 3.74 IMP canadian gallons or 17.3 ltrs. keep in mind you will never be able to put 17 ltrs. in. there always has to be room for air in the tank or it will leak out of the vent in the gas cap.

02 Vstar 1100 classic
Samson Warloard Ripsaws
chubby pod kit/maxair pms screws
barons ork
kuryakyn isso grips
breakaway cruise cont.
driver backrest
barons DT risers
barons tackometer
oem passing lights
crome visors on all lights & signals
drag highway pegs
viking studded bags
sissy bar with rack
studded front and rear seats
studded gas tank bib with pouch
clocks for bikes- stem mount
Ram mount& hard wire for GARMIN GPS
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode