FYI - 950T squeal - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

FYI - 950T squeal

Just thought i would give a FYI thread that might help somebody out in the future. I have a 09 star 950T with around 26,000 miles on it and around august of last year, i noticed a squeal that sounded to be originating from the rear tire, so i figured rear axel bearings. After i pulled the rear tire off and inspected everything, i couldnt really find anything wrong that would lead me to be the culprit. The bike still being under an extended warrenty, i put it all back together and took it to the dealer. After keeping it for a week, way to long, they called me and told me that the technician drove it but couldnt hear the squeal and they didnt want to tear into it with fear of not finding anything and warrenty not covering it, but did find that my belt was too tight and made proper adjustments. After getting it back, it seemed that fixing belt tension really helped for about a week or so, but then it came back. After a bad winter and not riding it much, i finally got it back out and on the highway and it progressively got worse with the squeal now sounding like it was coming from the front drive sprocket. I took it back in a couple of weeks ago and got a call to come talk to them. The service manager said they took it down the highway and could definitely hear it now. They put it on the lift and let it idel in gear and could see the front sprocket had a wobble to it. After tearing into it, they found that my primary gear was warped. They said the bad news is it is about $1100 in parts and the extended warrenty doesnt cover sprockets or belts, which it needed among other things, but the good news is they talked with yamaha and yamaha said they would cover all the parts, i would just have to cover labor. It worked out in the end i guess. Just thought i would share in case somebody else has the same problem in the future.

2009 Yamaha V-star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 AM

Think there is possibility the overtightened belt caused the bent sprocket?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

in most of the cases i've seen with the 950 developing a squeal, including mine, it's been a belt issue needing replacement. i'm with Havoc that the overtightened belt may have caused the problem, and you may be needing a new belt soon anyways even though the initial problem of the sprocket gets resolved. the belt issue has been occurring around the 30K mile mark which is right where you're at. so have them take a look at that.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 04:53 AM

Was it easy to see? I am thinking of buy one and he has replaced the rear bearings but thinks there maybe more wrong.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 03:38 PM

I'm curious what parts had to be replaced other than the sprocket and belt. I'm currently dealing with a wobbling front sprocket. I initially assumed the squeak was the belt so I ordered that. I decided to start the bike since it's been sitting for awhile before I threw on the new belt and that's when I noticed the slight wobble in the sprocket. I'm afraid to replace just the belt now and run the risk of ruining a new belt (they certainly aren't cheap).
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

since he was quoted $1100 in parts, i'm guessing it was more than just the sprocket that needed replacing

on a steel horse I ride

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 AM

Ah Now this can't be good, rode off Wednesday to a job interview, and half way there a squeal developed, the last belt adjustment was by the technician when they replaced the rearend, swingarm all the way back because the axel bolt froze up in the wheel, this fell under my extended warranty. Now the dealership that did the warranty service has now changed hands and they say they're not responsible.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

i would find out what it is before assigning responsibility to someone. whatever is causing your squeal may not be related to the previous repair. and you don't know if it is because the belt was overtightened, that was just one school of thought.

on a steel horse I ride

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 08:20 AM

Exclamation Squealing belt issue resolved

I took my VStar in to D&D Cycle Shop in Winder, GA, on Friday, they checked the belt & drive gears, the belt was to tight, they mounted a dile indicator and and found drive sprockets within limits.

So an over tightened belt can cause a squeal, or chatter. Over tightening the belt can also cause the sprocket to flex enough to cause the belt to track out to the outer edge and chaff the edge of the belt.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

the belt should track to the outside edge. this is normal for all 950 bikes

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode