1100 Rear Section (posted in Aftermarket Section) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

1100 Rear Section (posted in Aftermarket Section)

I bought my V-Star 1100 already bobbed (rear fender frame cut off and gone). Now I want to fit some rear fender struts so I can have a removable rear section for those occasions the wife wants to ride (bolt it on) and when I ride solo (take it off) like on the 650, but see from another thread the ones from a 650 won't work (don't see why not if I am going to fit a custom fender). Wondering if anyone has fit Harley Softail struts or some other brand struts and done such a thing....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM

Pics of said bike first would be awesome.

Does it have a fender now? If not get a trailer fender build it up have it welded on with some custom struts its stays period get a suction cup seat slap it on when the wife wants to ride and be done with it.

Keep in mind this type of setup usually only works if your wife is under 140ish. Unless you use some huge struts.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman84 View Post
Pics of said bike first would be awesome.

Does it have a fender now? If not get a trailer fender build it up have it welded on with some custom struts its stays period get a suction cup seat slap it on when the wife wants to ride and be done with it.

Keep in mind this type of setup usually only works if your wife is under 140ish. Unless you use some huge struts.
I'll post a pic as soon as I can, but maybe I was unclear.

1. The rear fender/seat support has already been cut off and thrown away to make it a solo/bobber.

2. It already has a trailer fender on struts to the swing arm, but if I put a pad on there for the wife she won't be riding on the monoshock suspension, she'll be essentially on a hardtail, and I don't want a divorce.

3. The 650 has a removeable section where two chrome struts are secured to the rearmost part of the main frame on either side of the front seat. These struts support the 650's rear fender and seat, so they are designed to support a rider.

4. Someone said on another thread that the 650 struts can't be used on an 1100 but didn't say why.

5. I want to find struts that are long enough and at such an angle that I can custom fit a fender to them and provide a seat for my wife, and remove it when I ride solo (just like a 650).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM

Thats a lot of modding to add struts. It would require one the new fender probably a donor 650 cut and widened if need be. The struts and not only the struts the under side of the fender that actually bolts to the struts. The fender itself isn't the structure part of it there is a basket underneath that holds it all together. Really weird but it works. The fender doesn hold everything up but its just a free floating fender without that basket it would probably compress and warp.

The frame is wider for the 1100 vs the 650 I believe the shock setup is totally different. I can adjust the shock compression of my 650 bobber without doing anything special my 1100 I need to remove the seat and battery box and a few other things to get to it as its mounted vertical not horizontal like the 650.

I get she would probably be riding on hardtail but if you build the fender to the frame box vs the suspension box it would be another story. With some heavy duty tube welded in off the frame as struts it would hold up well.

But I do have a stock 650 fender and subframe if you wanna try that youll need bungs and bolts to attach it to the frame.

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thats a lot of modding to add struts. It would require one the new fender probably a donor 650 cut and widened if need be. The struts and not only the struts the under side of the fender that actually bolts to the struts. The fender itself isn't the structure part of it there is a basket underneath that holds it all together. Really weird but it works. The fender doesn hold everything up but its just a free floating fender without that basket it would probably compress and warp.

The frame is wider for the 1100 vs the 650 I believe the shock setup is totally different. I can adjust the shock compression of my 650 bobber without doing anything special my 1100 I need to remove the seat and battery box and a few other things to get to it as its mounted vertical not horizontal like the 650.

I get she would probably be riding on hardtail but if you build the fender to the frame box vs the suspension box it would be another story. With some heavy duty tube welded in off the frame as struts it would hold up well.

But I do have a stock 650 fender and subframe if you wanna try that youll need bungs and bolts to attach it to the frame.
I was thinking I would just drill the frame like the 650 so I can bolt the struts on, then use an old 1100 fender and that metal part that the struts bolt on to and support the fender. So you have the fender, the metal underside the struts bolt to, and the struts? Possibly for sale?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:34 PM

I will measure when I get home but I think the 1100 vs 650 is a bit smaller around the frame seat area for the fender. I can see a manufacturer using the same fender for both models however so it may work out. You will have to get the thing mounted perfectly though to work.

You may also have to convert to a different seat as well I am not sure if the 1100 seat will fit in front of the 650 fender or vice versa. I will measure the space compared for both for the bolts to go through on the fender and then the distance from the strut connection points to the frame rails. I thinik the 1100 rails are a little bit different than the 650 in the pan area however so it may kill it for you there.

Also, the whole thing may not work with the bobbed setup you currently have at the moment. This is the main reason I didn't hack my 1100 up and turn it into a bobber my wife wanted to ride... So now I have a 650 bobber no hacking required and my 1100for two up.

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I will measure when I get home but I think the 1100 vs 650 is a bit smaller around the frame seat area for the fender. I can see a manufacturer using the same fender for both models however so it may work out. You will have to get the thing mounted perfectly though to work.

You may also have to convert to a different seat as well I am not sure if the 1100 seat will fit in front of the 650 fender or vice versa. I will measure the space compared for both for the bolts to go through on the fender and then the distance from the strut connection points to the frame rails. I thinik the 1100 rails are a little bit different than the 650 in the pan area however so it may kill it for you there.

Also, the whole thing may not work with the bobbed setup you currently have at the moment. This is the main reason I didn't hack my 1100 up and turn it into a bobber my wife wanted to ride... So now I have a 650 bobber no hacking required and my 1100for two up.
Man that would be super cool. I really appreciate it! Keep in mind that I can get different bolts, a different fender, and haven't yet chosen a seat (but will probably use a regular springer solo seat for me.). The main thing is that if I drill the 1100 frame as far to the rear as safely possible, will the 650 rails go back far enough to fully support a seat, and high enough to clear the back tire suspension travel of the 1100?

It just occurred to me that if we can make this work, there might be a lot of grateful 1100 owners out there who will follow suit. Here's to being a pioneer!!

Last edited by AlternativeLens; 04-08-2014 at 08:33 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 AM

I think your going about this all wrong. That is a lot of work. Try this:

Go home and tell the wife that you love her, you love her so much that you are going to go out and buy another bike that has a seat for her. DONE!!!!!! no welding, no drilling, no nothing AND........ now you have two bikes, a bobber and whatever else you find that has a passenger seat and pegs (you never mentioned anything about pegs but they are important so she doesn't drag her feet). Sell her on the safety of not ruining her pedicure. I should run for President!!!!

2002 V-Star 1100 Bobber
Chubby Pod Kit
Thugstar 2/1 Exhaust
Maxair Thumbscrews
Pingle Highflow Fuel filter
Pingle Highflow Petcock
AIS blocked
Some Blue Collar Bobber stuff
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 AM

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Neptune View Post
I think your going about this all wrong. That is a lot of work. Try this:

Go home and tell the wife that you love her, you love her so much that you are going to go out and buy another bike that has a seat for her. DONE!!!!!! no welding, no drilling, no nothing AND........ now you have two bikes, a bobber and whatever else you find that has a passenger seat and pegs (you never mentioned anything about pegs but they are important so she doesn't drag her feet). Sell her on the safety of not ruining her pedicure. I should run for President!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
Mr. Neptune is a man of wisdom

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah, I don't think it's all that complicated. There are dozens of different shape and size struts out there for various brands and models of motorcycles. E-Bay is loaded with them. I thought maybe someone here already did this so I could just buy the best fitting struts once and not fart around with it, but apparently not.

I just need to find the struts that fit best, drill the frame, bolt them on, then fit a fender to them. It'll be exactly like the 650 in configuration, but using different parts (maybe Honda or Harley struts with a Tractor Supply trailer fender or something?). I'll do it then post it to the forum so all those that think it's too complicated can see how easy it is.

I know for a fact there are several 1100 (or larger) owners who have NOT made their bikes full bobbers as they would like for this very reason, so when it's figured out it will kick the door wide open for a whole bunch of hesitant people.

Thanks.

~D~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode