Should i replace my battery? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Should i replace my battery?

With the brutal winter here in MD, I didn't had a chance to ride the bike for the last 6months and hence the bike didnt' started. I had to recharge my battery and everything was fine. Then again we got spring snow and again there was a hiatus in riding, Again my bike didn't started and I had to recharge (trickle recharger) overnight after that the bike started and I rided for 20 miles.

Do I have to replace my battery?
Please advice
V-Star 950 (2010)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 04:08 PM

It may be to that point. Have you had it tested? Why aren't you keeping it on a trickle charge when its not being used anyways?

Rule of my bikes they go one week the chargers get put on. Even with brand new batteries I still pu them on a trickle charger IE a smart charger so they don't over do it and go soon to. Also, when you do get a new battery charge it on a battery tender over night before installing it. This will give it a full charge the first time you use it so it will stay longer as well.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM

You'll most likely be fine

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM

Get a cheap volt meter and check it. The battery should be close to 14 volts sitting there and while running it should be around 13.8ish if all is well. Ever since I put my fairing on (it has a radio and amp in it) it started draining the battery even after a couple days. I bought a battery tender and all has been good. If you get a tender get one that has a "float mode" that way it wont over charge the battery. Mine is a Japanese something or other (Yusha or Yushi something), paid 26 bucks off ebay.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 AM

If it was me I would just replace it. Normally I would not let a battery go for more then 5 years and just replaced mine on my 08, even though it was perfectly fine.
Batteries so cheap, no sense taking a chance, more so if you ever had trouble.
For me, my battery was working perfect but I know I will have a different bike in five years (or 5 months,HA!) so I replaced it late 2013, might as well continue to make sure I dont get stuck anywhere for the next five years.
$85, free ship on ebay for the Yusha OEM in great insurance. Great battery by the way. I never trickle charge my battery or do anything to them. Also make sure your terminols are clean, even if they look clean, clean them.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all, yesterday was the litmus test, had stopped at a gas station for some gas and the bike wont start!!! DAMN!!! My wife had to run down with the jumper cables to jumpstart and I had to take her shouting!!!
Came home and ordered one from Amazon for $44 free shipping!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode