Valve adjustment and so on... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Valve adjustment and so on...

I had a lot of noise from valves on my vstar 1100 Classic. So i decided to adjust the valves. not a new thing for me. I adjusted valves on hondas and harleys before, and it always went fine.
Now, i met a problem.
First of all, i found the info on right valve adjustment on V-Star 1100 Wiki

So i went for the right measurements as stated there.
Kinda got worse, more noise.
And, the front cylinder are almost all the time flushed with oil now (air intake box are thick of the oil)
First question: To much oil in the crank case? I have perfect oil level.

After valve adjustment, i have really low idle, and it almost dies on rides. As if it cannot suck fuel or air?
The bike i bought supposedly have a jet kit installed. So i guess it is not original carburetor adjustments...
Should the vales be adjusted different also?
Cus it seems like they are way off, even when i follow the wiki measurements.

Is it recommended to change the O-rings on the valve covers on this bike? Or do they take another turn?
This was kinda very annoying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 AM

Did you line up the tdc marks right.You should have play in the valves when you do.PICS 1-2 is the front head.Iuse my O-rings 2 or 3 times.They say to keep the oil between the two marks on the sight class.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	28186   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	28194   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	28202   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	28210  

07 v star 1100 sliverado-Micks ssd kit-sscustom pod kit-cobra pipes.

Last edited by vstardavid; 04-16-2014 at 10:35 AM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstardavid View Post
Did you line up the tdc marks right.You should have play in the valves when you do.PICS 1-2 is the front head.Iuse my O-rings 2 or 3 times.They say to keep the oil between the two marks on the sight class.
Hi there,
Thanks for the pics. Seems like i did it right about the TDC marks
I just came in from garage and took of valve caps again, cleaned again, turned the O-rings.
I will take a test ride again tomorrow.
Oh i sucked up some Oil now, as it was just a millimeter under the top mark. Maybe the air box will not fill up so much (thanks btw ) I was used to have it just under the MAX mark.
I will pic the bike apart again after test ride, to check for oil in the air intake box, and check for leaks around the valve caps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:44 PM

Garage
If you followed the instructions in the wiki, you should be fine. What grade of oil do you use? I normally use 20W50 but I decided to go with 10W40 for the spring time. Man, my engine went from quiet back to sewing machine. Can't wait to get 5000 kms in to change it over to 20W50.

The oil level should be in between the two mark and not just below the upper mark. This could be the cause of your oil in the breather box. Your idle should be at 1000 rpm or so. Adjusting the valves wouldn't affect this. And lastly, I always change out the seals (o rings) when I do maintenance. Its cheap insurance; call it a professional habit.

Let us know what you find.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM

Just so you know...the valves on an 1100 will get quieter as they wear, not noisier. Normally if you can hear them...they are OK. It's when you can't that you really need to start worrying.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
Just so you know...the valves on an 1100 will get quieter as they wear, not noisier. Normally if you can hear them...they are OK. It's when you can't that you really need to start worrying.
Hey Mick I've had my bike for about 2 years now and it has 20k on it, I don't ever remember hearing the valves on it and the engine was always quiet. That being said I do have an appointment to adjust valves next week but apart from no valve noise what would be the engine symptoms that the valves are too tight? I'm going to ride around still this week since I don't think one week out of two years will make any difference but I would just like to know in case anything does come up.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
Hey Mick I've had my bike for about 2 years now and it has 20k on it, I don't ever remember hearing the valves on it and the engine was always quiet. That being said I do have an appointment to adjust valves next week but apart from no valve noise what would be the engine symptoms that the valves are too tight? I'm going to ride around still this week since I don't think one week out of two years will make any difference but I would just like to know in case anything does come up.
You'd probably not notice a whole lot until a valve bent. Just going by noise is not the proper way to "check" the valves anyway.....that's what feeler gauges are for.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg View Post
I had a lot of noise from valves on my vstar 1100 Classic. So i decided to adjust the valves. not a new thing for me. I adjusted valves on hondas and harleys before, and it always went fine.
Now, i met a problem.
First of all, i found the info on right valve adjustment on V-Star 1100 Wiki

So i went for the right measurements as stated there.
Kinda got worse, more noise.
And, the front cylinder are almost all the time flushed with oil now (air intake box are thick of the oil)
First question: To much oil in the crank case? I have perfect oil level.

After valve adjustment, i have really low idle, and it almost dies on rides. As if it cannot suck fuel or air?
The bike i bought supposedly have a jet kit installed. So i guess it is not original carburetor adjustments...
Should the vales be adjusted different also?
Cus it seems like they are way off, even when i follow the wiki measurements.

Is it recommended to change the O-rings on the valve covers on this bike? Or do they take another turn?
This was kinda very annoying
Hey Varg.....adjust the idle to 950-1050 RPM, that's where it should be. After tuning you may need to readjust it.

The jets in the carb have nothing to do with the valve clearance. What modifications are on the bike that they needed to change the jets?

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
You'd probably not notice a whole lot until a valve bent. Just going by noise is not the proper way to "check" the valves anyway.....that's what feeler gauges are for.
Well I got quoted $300 for a valve adjustment so I'm pretty sure now I'm just going to do it myself. The shop said it's a three hour job but after reading the manual it seems like the hardest part is taking everything apart and should take a professional one hour.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:06 PM

A mechanic confessed once that if they don't hear anything unusual when they run the bike into the shop, and it runs fine otherwise, they call it good. Make sure you trust your shop if you take it in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode