Uniq cycle sounds mini amp - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Uniq cycle sounds mini amp

Ordered a 300 Watt mini amp for my aftermarket batwing fairing from Uniq Cycle Sounds. The sound is not the best and thought of adding an amp to boost sound and quality especially riding at certain speeds I can't hear sh-t. I was wondering if anyone has installed one as I'm looking installing this mini amp underneath the fairing. Has anyone have any issues with the installation part or in general...thanx

Last edited by vstarjoe; 04-16-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:50 PM

I installed a Rockford Fosgate 300 watt Punch amp and the radio head itself was 45 watts x4 and would sound ok until I turned it up to around 27 (it went up to 35) and after I installed the amp it was a substantial difference, not huge but good. I can turn it up to 30 now before it starts to get distorted but thats way too loud even at hiway speeds. Just make sure your speakers are rated for the extra watts. My fairing came with Pro Spec speakers (never heard of them) but they sound ok, next season probably installing Rockford Fosgate 5.25's, I guess they sound great. Installation should be simple as most companies use universal wiring colors. I mounted mine right on top of the radio head and had to drill two holes under the fairing, where it goes right over the light to mount the front two holes of the amp. I also used blue loc tite on those two flat head screws (found chrome washers and screws at Harbor Freight of all places. Zip tied all the wires nice and neat and so far so good, even the ss polished washers and screws are still holing up well with no rust.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Moneypit, thanks for the comments...much appreciated. I have the tsukayu fairing with 6.5" speakers and they're rated for 200 watts not sure if that's per speaker or combined. Do you think that my speakers will not support the rated 300 watt amp? What are your speakers rated at? I was wondering if I should rid get of these speakers and install better quality marine speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 PM

Well first off your amp wont be a true 300 watts, it should come with a test paper. Mine was rated at 89 watts per channel with 14.4 volts at the battery. Also my radio head said 45 watts x4 channels and continuous watts was more like high teens/low 20's. As far as the speakers, the easiest way to tell would be to look at the back of the speaker, it will say on the sticker on the magnet or look them up on line. If nothing else just dont turn it up too loud and you should be fine. Once I had my fairing apart, I bet it only took me 45 minutes from start to finish. My amp comes on with a signal from the speakers so it wont drain the battery and ran the pos cable right to the battery and grounded to a bolt up by the gas tank (that plastic triangular cover at the front of the tank). When I wired mine up to the speakers etc. I used good quality heat shrink butt connectors and also covered those connections with heat shrink material

2008/ 1300 V Star
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Moneypit I was searching online for an amp mounting bracket and came across a youtube video on how this person- Kelly makes amp mounts/brackets to fit on top of your radio head in a batwing fairing and he does sell them on Ebay. The link on Ebay for these brackets if anyone is interested is #151217434360. Thought I give it a shot and ordered one yesterday...it'll make mounting the amp a bit easier for someone who is not that handy like myself...

Last edited by vstarjoe; 04-18-2014 at 06:41 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstarjoe View Post
Moneypit I was searching online for an amp mounting bracket and came across a youtube video on how this person- Kelly makes amp mounts/brackets to fit on top of your radio head in a batwing fairing and he does sell them on Ebay. The link on Ebay for these brackets if anyone is interested is #151217434360. Thought I give it a shot and ordered one yesterday...it'll make mounting the amp a bit easier for someone who is not that handy like myself...
Sweet! My radio head had a place to mount the rear of the amp and like I said I had to drill through the fairing to mount the front two screws, fortunately you cant see them at all but would still look good beings they are polished ss screws and a recessed type washer with flat head screws. Hopefully your amp is short enough so it fits under without rubbing on the fairing. Be sure to use the blue Loc Tite, nothing worse than having to take off the fairing cover to keep checking to see if the nuts are still tight. You might want to check all the wire connections while your in there. They just used regular butt connectors from the factory and 2 or 3 of mine were loose and the wires fell right out of the damn connections. Those heat shrink butt connectors work very well.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy

V&H Big Shots for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode