Harsh low end throttle response - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Harsh low end throttle response

At low speed in 1st gear I get an almost either on or off response to a little throttle. I've read this is a common issue with fuel injected high torque bikes. I really notice it in the round a bouts my town is so in love with. Fairly small town, but we have built at least 35 round a bouts and you can't go anywhere without going in circles.

I came across this G2 product, "Throttle Tamer" and wonder if anyone has one installed? The concept of a redesigned cam makes sense.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 AM

I remember with my 1300, before I did all the mods mine had a not so responsive throttle from a stop to second gear. If I remember right, after I installed the new exhaust it helped a ton and now with everything done its very snappy and no lag at all.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 04:29 PM

I've done some of the mods and such, which helped a little bit, but what REALLY helped me is learning to use the friction zone of the clutch properly. This is an inherent nature of fuel injection and if you don't use the friction zone in slow speed situations, you will always have a certain amount of it. At low speed/low rpm, I ALWAYS give a little clutch to smooth out the transition from "off to on" and have eliminated that awful sudden jerk. Some think that riding in the friction zone of the clutch will damage it (I used to be one of those people!!), but these clutches are designed to work that way. In other words, it is a clutch that is designed to slip, and at low speed/low rpm, you control the speed of the bike with the clutch, not the throttle. This is something they teach in the Basic Rider Course, but they may not stress it enough. In the Advanced Rider Course, they stress it a little more, and it would be difficult, if not impossible, to pass the course without utilizing the clutch friction zone. I used to hate navigating parking lots because the "on or off" nature of the throttle, but now I can whip into any parking lot at any speed and speed up/slow down smooth as silk. Since I learned the friction zone, riding has become even more enjoyable, and I look for tricky parking lots because it so much fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:12 PM

Mine is much better after I drilled the exhaust and intake. Also installed Jack`s O 2 mod. All this helps a whole bunch .
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:13 PM

For more info on Jack`s 0 2 mod go to the Delphi forums 1300 VStar.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
I've done some of the mods and such, which helped a little bit, but what REALLY helped me is learning to use the friction zone of the clutch properly. This is an inherent nature of fuel injection and if you don't use the friction zone in slow speed situations, you will always have a certain amount of it. At low speed/low rpm, I ALWAYS give a little clutch to smooth out the transition from "off to on" and have eliminated that awful sudden jerk. Some think that riding in the friction zone of the clutch will damage it (I used to be one of those people!!), but these clutches are designed to work that way. In other words, it is a clutch that is designed to slip, and at low speed/low rpm, you control the speed of the bike with the clutch, not the throttle. This is something they teach in the Basic Rider Course, but they may not stress it enough. In the Advanced Rider Course, they stress it a little more, and it would be difficult, if not impossible, to pass the course without utilizing the clutch friction zone. I used to hate navigating parking lots because the "on or off" nature of the throttle, but now I can whip into any parking lot at any speed and speed up/slow down smooth as silk. Since I learned the friction zone, riding has become even more enjoyable, and I look for tricky parking lots because it so much fun!
Using the friction zone is exactly the way to solve it, I use it all the time in the traffic circles. So the throttle mod is not really, "necessary" but from the reviews it does seem to work. For $49, I think I'll give it a try.

Don
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 11:28 PM

Makes sense to me.....let us know how it works. I thought about trying it, but I read mixed reviews on it. Vance and Hines made an electronic throttle "regulator??" for Harley's for this very reason. It supposedly reads the throttle position and feeds the fuel a bit slower initially, thus eliminating that sudden jerk of the throttle. We don't have a big enough share of the market, so they won't make one for our bikes.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Elk

I understand and agree on the friction zone use, but the zone is small on the 1300 (compared to my old Honda). Anyone using the Cleever?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Ride Report

Here's my opinion of the G2 Throttle Tamer after riding it a bit.

It has definitely smoothed out the low speed response, noticeable difference. I still find a little bit of jerkiness once in awhile, so I think you still have to be really smooth in applying power. I like it and I think the $49 was well spent, I would do it again.

Don
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 12:44 PM

I agree with mccutchan. I am just learning to do this. It makes a huge difference, especially when you add a touch of rear brake.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Vstar 650 Custom
Engine Guard
Floor Boards
Memphis Windshield
Mustang Vintage One Piece Seat
Saddle Bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode