idle issue...help please - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

idle issue...help please

Ok so my first bike is an 06 1100. Just bought it last week. Well it has basically been sitting since 2010. (ridden less than 2k miles) I have ridden it about 35miles and it seems to run and perform fine except idling. When you first start it, it will pop while idling. Not constantly just randomly. The first time I had it out it seemed to disappear once it was good and warm. Yesterday I ran it up the street for a state inspection and it never disappeared. Even when I got back here and parked it was still doing it. It does it more when the choke, or whatever ya want to call it, is engaged some. I'm thinking since it has been sitting for so long it will disappear as I ride it but then again it might not. I have changed the plugs so I assume that's not the issue.
Just looking for some suggestions. Wondering if I should just put several hundred miles on it then if it isn't gone do something about it, or have it worked on now and fix the issue. Everything is stock as far as I can tell except the AIS has been removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Anyone???

Ok so now it gets weirder. Just got back from about a 40mile trip. Every time I stopped the idle was way high until I hit neutral. At any point riding along I can release the throttle and squeeze the clutch and it doesn't idle down completely. Shift down through all the gears to first with no change, pop it to neutral and the idle drops instantly. Did this every time I stop.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 PM

You need to pull the carbs and clean the jets,especially the pilot jets they have small holes that can be cleaned by running a "bread tie wire" thru them.And then sinc sincing will even the idle.Or try running seafoam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that advise. So that brings another question. How critical is this? Is it safe to drive or should I do this immediately? Only reason I ask is I'm supposed to ride with a buddy over the weekend. Couple hundred miles max, but I won't have time between now and then to do this work. Will I be ok or should I park it until I get them clean and synced?
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 10:55 AM

If you don't feel unsafe on it I'd fill the tank and add Sea Foam and go on the weekend ride. I'd add slightly more Sea Foam than is recommended on the can. If you notice improvement but not perfection, repeat. The bikes been sitting for over three years and might need several cleanings.

If this doesn't work, clean the carbs and tune it manually. If you feel competent you could do this, or if you're incompetent like me, just take it in and have it tuned professionally.

If you don't feel safe riding it in its present condition, have it remediated before further riding. My $0.02.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 PM

sounds like a lean issue at idle perhaps.

*Sea foam is an easy fix for helping to clear up some carbon build up.. (bike seems to new to really be affected by that)

also you might grab a FlatHead Socket and play with your PMS screw underneath the carbs.

08' Vstar 1100 Custom

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9...o/CAM00079.jpg

1.5" Lowered / Thugstar Exhaust / Custom Intake / 122 jets F&R / Custom Mini Fairing / Powdercoated parts

Last edited by Exhibit76; 05-02-2014 at 01:09 PM.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 03:57 PM

try seafoam,a ride at sustained speeds might clear it up?For the idle it needs to be sinced.Take a tow rope.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Nick that's pretty much what I have decided to do. Since the syncing is so easily done I will check that and adjust accordingly. If after a couple of tanks of heavily seafoam treated gas I'm still having issues, I will pull and clean the carbs and go from there.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 07:46 PM

If I bought a bike that been sitting for 4 years, the first thing I would have done is to take the carbs apart and clean them. In my opinion, that is beyond the "dump stuff in the gas tank and pray" stage by about 3 1/2 years. I wonder how much junk was in the gas tank that got sucked though the system too. A bike sitting even half that long should have had the tank cleaned, fuel lines replaced, fuel pump flushed, carbs fully disassembled and cleaned....not to mention complete brake fluid flush etc.

Good luck with your project....I wish the best. Just don't try to get by trying to dodge basic safety and maintenance.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Well after riding over the weekend I said heck with it and pulled then carbs today. Didn't see and obvious blockage but the plugs have been removed and extended PMS screws( guess that's what by a call them). So that brings up the question of PMS settings. What are they for stock set up? Currently they are 1 1\4 out. All I have left is reinstall and fire her up and sync then. Then ride!!! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode