Any Ideas? Pulling my hair out! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Any Ideas? Pulling my hair out!

Bought a 03 1100 VTwin that was not running. Pulled carbs cleaned and reinstalled. Ran but was way to rich. Checked jets and found someone had put way to big of jets in it. Took Carbs to MC shop. Bought jets they recomended due to type of pipes on bike. Was better but still way to rich. Plugs last about 30 min before fouling out. And by fouling out I mean charcoal black both cylinders. Changed out jets again to factory jets. Same results so I went another step down on main jet. Runs for 30 miles and turns the plugs into charcoal. Took it to MC shop they went through carbs adjusted float level, fixed exhaust leak and said it was good. Drove it home and around town and sure enough at 31 miles the pluges fouled out. The thing runs perfect before the plugs foul out. Makes no sense. Cannot figure out were the extra gas is coming from. I even went as far as to plug the choke holes to verify the choke injector wasnt leaking by. Got the same results. Its back at the shop now driving them crazy. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard anything like this? Thanks for any advice you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Sounds stupid and painfully obvious, but you are sure they are indeed the correct carbs for that bike?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Pulling my hair out!

Yes they are the correct carbs. They match all the literature I have looked up on the bike. The bike came from the original owner and he's not smart enough to change out carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:07 PM

Any other mods done to the bike besides the exhaust? What jets do you have in the carbs now? Does it just flood out driving along or when you come to a stop? Since the MC shop and you both have been through the carbs with the same results (unless both of you are overlooking the same thing) that kind of says look elsewhere. What about fuel pump pressure? It may be too high for the needle and seat to overcome. Just a thought.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:39 PM

If it's too rich then it"s too much fuel or needs more air. Check and look into air supply What's the filter look like? Maybe try a high flow filter? Check and make sure air box doesn't have a nest in it? This happened to my Dad's bike had it stored for a couple storage years, after, it ran similar to yours except his ran rough. Who would have thought.

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:45 PM

if you can do the carb work yourself https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting plenty of help here,scroll down to the table it tells of what jets go with the mods done to your bike,there is main jets pilot kets needle and shims and pms adjustment.easier than it sounds
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:51 PM

Ok. What size jets are in there now?

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Again obvious but no chance it's NOT a fuel problem? IE leaking so much oil into the cylinder that it's actually oil you're seeing on the plugs.

If that were the case it should be leaving the most God Awful cloud of blue smoke you've ever seen, but hey strange things happen sometimes. I wouldn't even bring it up except that I've seen it happen so ya never know?

If it really is running that rich you would expect the exhaust to black as coal.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:52 PM

Not knowing anything about the bike...it's impossible to tell you what direction to go. We don't even know the size of jets you are using, what brand they are, how the bike is set up......etc etc.

From the sounds of things...something in the carbs is not put together right or the floats needles are stuck

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Lot of good responses thanks. Let’s see if I can answer the questions in one reply.

-Any other mods done to the bike besides the exhaust?
No other mods except straight pipes that have been on the bike since it was new.

-What jets do you have in the carbs now?
Jets are back to factory OEM Yamaha parts.
Main jet 110 (112.5 is factory. down sized trying to reduce fuel)
2nd main jet is 42.5
Pilot jet 17.5
Needle is factory needle as well with no adjustment.

-Does it just flood out driving along or when you come to a stop?
Does not flood out when driving or stopping. Runs perfect. Other than some backfiring when you rev it up and the smell of unburnt fuel you would have no idea anything is wrong until the plugs foul out.

-What about fuel pump pressure?
Very good question. Was discussing that very thing with the MC shop. I would think if it had too much pressure that it would cause fuel to come out the overflow when the key is on but the motor isn’t running. I find it odd that it even needs a fuel pump. Was debating on trying it without a fuel pump to see what happens.

-If it's too rich then it’s too much fuel or needs more air. Check and look into air supply what’s the filter look like?
Been down that road already. Even ran through a set of plugs without a filter installed at all and it still did it. Completely dismantled the air box as well. Heard of that problem before.

-If it really is running that rich you would expect the exhaust to black as coal.
Just get a little puff of soot when you rev it up and get a good back fire. The ehaust smells of unburnt fuel.

-Not knowing anything about the bike
2003 Yamaha 1100 VTwin only has 10K miles. I am the second owner. I know the original owner well. The pipes are bubs or bubas something like that. They are straight shot pipes and have been on the bike since it was new. Ran fine until owner let it sit over a year and the gas gummed everything up in it. The 1st owner’s son tried to rebuild carbs. He ended up putting way too big of jets in the carb. Had a 120 in the 2nd main jet. Never got it to run correctly. Then it was left sitting for a couple of years before selling it to me.

Whatever it is it is common to both cylinders and both carbs. Plugs come out looking identical (charcoal black).

I have smaller than factory jets installed and ran with out air filter with straight pipes. Everything says it should be starved for gas but it isnt. Where is the extra gas getting through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode