Lower Air Delfectors - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Lower Air Delfectors

Well I have my fairing on my bike and the head buffeting isn't absolutely unbearable but I wouldn't mind getting rid of it completely.

Ive seen some people talking about getting lower air deflectors (which I thought block wind from your knees/shins) and having that solve the problem.

How is it possible that something down by your knees would stop your head from shaking around?

Im also looking at just getting a taller windshield, but Im looking for input before deciding what to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:08 AM

I have some lower air deflectors on my bike and it doesn't help with head buffeting, but it does help a little bit with keeping rocks and wind off my lower legs. I still get hit every once and a while, but not as often as without. If you want to get rid of the heard buffeting I'd get a taller windshield.

'02 V Star 1100 Silverado - "Chloe"
Maxair Flamewires replacement power cables
Maxair Idle Mixture Screws
Cobra Slash Cut Slip-on Pipes
Pro-One Pullback Risers with Tachometer
Custom Clock
Custom Passing Lamps
Custom World Driver's Backrest
Yamaha/Corbin Studded seat with concho
Cobra Passenger Floorboards
Kuryakyn Hypercharger
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 AM

When I first got my bike, I put on a taller windshield then the previous owner. It was right at nose level, and the buffeting was terrible. By moving my hand around while riding I discovered that the wind bouncing my head around was coming from below. I installed the Memphis Shades lowers and that did the trick. They needed to be re shaped to fit around my signals as I have passing lamps.

A month ago, I installed a MS batwing with an 11" windshield. I left the lowers on and it works great.

Hope this helps.

Mark

2003 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamriding View Post
When I first got my bike, I put on a taller windshield then the previous owner. It was right at nose level, and the buffeting was terrible. By moving my hand around while riding I discovered that the wind bouncing my head around was coming from below. I installed the Memphis Shades lowers and that did the trick. They needed to be re shaped to fit around my signals as I have passing lamps.

A month ago, I installed a MS batwing with an 11" windshield. I left the lowers on and it works great.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I actually went out and fiddles with the fairing and angled the front down a little more with hopes that that would direct the air up and over my head. It made a huge difference and I have basically no buffeting now.

I might purchase myself some lowers just for the rocks, bees, and small children.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Lowers

I put a set of lowers on my 650 classic one of the best things i've done , ihave a memphis shades screen .without lowers its like having a wind scoop with no scoop
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMTNRider View Post
Thanks, I actually went out and fiddles with the fairing and angled the front down a little more with hopes that that would direct the air up and over my head.
I did that on Friday as well. Forgot to mention that.

With the lowers there was just a hint of the wind passing over my helmet. The adjustment pushes it right over my head.

Mark

2003 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 08:03 PM

Glad it worked out for ya, I hate that feeling! I just spent 160 or so on a Klock Work windshield that was supposed to eliminate all of that and it did help a bunch I still feel it around 65 and up. The weather up here has been sh!tty to say the least so I only have a couple rides with it on.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 08:56 PM

Well folks, the Bear is a bit agast at this one He figgers we are riders and that is a big part of it, the breeze in our face, ridin in the wind, bein free Buffetin bad, breeze good. he thinks iffin a rider don't want no breeze, maybe he/she ought to drive a truck/car with the windows rolled up, huh?

Have fun folks

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode