Passing gear? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Question Passing gear?

I've been riding my rather groovy '01 Vstar 650 for a month now, and have put about 900 miles on it since purchase. Tons of fun.

Twice now I have been accelerating after a stop, and shortly after getting into 5th gear, it dropped back into 4th. If I was driving a car with an automatic transmission, it would mean it had dropped into the so-called passing gear. I don't think I accidentally hit the shift lever with my toe, and it easily went back into 5th with a press of the heal shifter, and stayed there.

Is this an ominous warning sign, or is it just "one of those things"?

Thanks for any insights in advance.

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 AM

How fast are you going when you shift into 5th? I had a car that would 'pop out of gear', but never heard of a manual tranny falling back into a lower gear.

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

The second time was yesterday. I was going about 30ish(?) on a road outside town. The first time was about 2 weeks ago, on an on-ramp to the freeway. I think I was closer to 40.

The first time it definitely went down a gear. I figured I hadn't fully gotten into 5th. Yesterday the revs went up, and I thought it was in neutral (surely not possible?). When I pushed down on the heel shifter, it clearly was in 5th. No recurrence on either occasion. Weird or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC59 View Post
I've been riding my rather groovy '01 Vstar 650 for a month now, and have put about 900 miles on it since purchase. Tons of fun.

Twice now I have been accelerating after a stop, and shortly after getting into 5th gear, it dropped back into 4th. If I was driving a car with an automatic transmission, it would mean it had dropped into the so-called passing gear. I don't think I accidentally hit the shift lever with my toe, and it easily went back into 5th with a press of the heal shifter, and stayed there.

Is this an ominous warning sign, or is it just "one of those things"?

Thanks for any insights in advance.

Rod
Its most defiantly not one of those things...Manual transmissions should not shift on their own.

How lose is your shifter? it could be a couple things that add together which could cause the bike to shift on its own. If your fluid is low and the shifter is super loose a good bump could cause the shifter to change the gear on your own.

Ive never had that happen and im simply speculating, but I would check those couple things. While your into your tranny fluid check for metal shavings.

2005 Vstar 1100 "MurderCycle"
-2 Tone Gold/Black
-Full Front Fairing
-Boss Audio 400 watt amp
-Boss Audio Speakers
-JVC Marine Grade Headunit
-Cobra Drag pipes with Lollipop baffles
-PODs
-Mustang Daytripper Seat
-Leather Saddlebags
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:31 PM

what probably happened was at 30 mph in 5th gear the engine and rear wheel were moving at the same rpm an it just eased itself out
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks for the input.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 PM

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...65788261,d.aWc...your lugging your engine going to slow in high gear
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok, this all helps a lot. GreenMTNrider scared the socks off me, but clearly it's something to consider. I did wonder if I was shifting too early; the bike has no tachometer, so I'm just going by sound.

I'll stay out of 5th till about 40 for now.

Thanks a million for the responses.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 05:53 PM

40 mph you should be in 3rd gear. 4th gear up to 50,5th gear over 50 ,55. you can take 4th to 55,60 no problem i cruise at 60 in 4th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode