Fork alignment Vstar 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Fork alignment Vstar 1100

All

Does the Vstar 1100 have a common issue with fork misalignment? When I ride no-handed the bike always tends to drift slightly to the left. I've got around the problem by loosing the forks and made about a 3/16" adjustment to even the forks, it rode straight for about an hour but now it's drifting again? Has anybody else experienced this problem?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 08:17 AM

Nope......not at all. What device are you using to measure alignment?

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 05-04-2014 at 08:22 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Acutally, I didn't do the work personally, but that is what I was told from the tech. I believe it was a feel adjustment and not necessarly a caliper measurement. The vstar is handling much better than before. When I first rode it I could feel every single bump and unevenness in the road, cornering felt uncontrolled. In parts it was the tire pressure was too low and the other was the fork alignment. When I first rode it after the adjustements it was riding straight, but now it's slightly off. I'm fine with the results now, I'm fishing for others that may have had the same problem. I wonder if the tire is cupped or unbalanced, maybe the rim is slightly warped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM

Not sure this is much help but just my own experience. I have had my forks completely off the bike while powder coating parts. With that being said when you put the forks into the triple clamps, they just slide in and you tighten them. Once the tops are tight, the bottoms actually move, swivel like, so when your are putting your front wheel on there is some give there and then you tighten the bolt that goes thru the wheel and at that point all is aligned. There are no adjustment points to make it go one way or the other. I would look at the internals of the forks more if I was you. When was the last time they were serviced? Yup SERVICED. There is fluid in the fork tubes and after time that fluid can break down. And it will not break down evenly from left fork to right fork. So if the fluid is weaker or the actual spring inside the fork is weaker on one side it could cause it to act funny, maybe like pulling to one side. I would also look at your front tire to see if it as an odd high point to it just off of center, that would also cause the bike to steer funny. Once again this is all just my 2 cents.

2002 V-Star 1100 Bobber
Chubby Pod Kit
Thugstar 2/1 Exhaust
Maxair Thumbscrews
Pingle Highflow Fuel filter
Pingle Highflow Petcock
AIS blocked
Some Blue Collar Bobber stuff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM

I'd also check (or have checked professionally) the alignment of the rear wheel with the frame. The symptoms that you report suggest that the rear wheel might be out of alignment with the frame. This would cause the bike to go down the road at a slight diagonal, and you would be constantly trying to correct this from the handlebars. Just another point of view.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

The Vstar has less than 5000 miles and I'm uncertain if the forks have been serviced. Although my tech seems to think someone has been here before, but seems to me like there's not enough miles on the bike to have an issue so early. I picked it up recently with 4000 miles and already put 1K on it. No obvious wear marks on the front tire. I'll see if I can set up some dial calipers against the rear tire and frame tonight and provide some more feedback on that idea. Thanks for all the help.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM

What year V-Star is it? I wouldn't go off of mileage. It all really depends on how the previous owner took care of it. As for the rear, mine is shaft driven and the way the wheel goes on, I am not sure it can be mis-aligned, meaning with the the bolts and the way it all has to fit together you would notice something binding as you tried to turn the wheel. Do you have a motorcycle jack to lift the rear end and turn the wheel by hand?

2002 V-Star 1100 Bobber
Chubby Pod Kit
Thugstar 2/1 Exhaust
Maxair Thumbscrews
Pingle Highflow Fuel filter
Pingle Highflow Petcock
AIS blocked
Some Blue Collar Bobber stuff
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Neptune View Post
What year V-Star is it? I wouldn't go off of mileage. It all really depends on how the previous owner took care of it. As for the rear, mine is shaft driven and the way the wheel goes on, I am not sure it can be mis-aligned, meaning with the the bolts and the way it all has to fit together you would notice something binding as you tried to turn the wheel. Do you have a motorcycle jack to lift the rear end and turn the wheel by hand?
It's a 2007 model, and I don't believe it was used very much, there's absoultely zero rust or scratches on any components. I believe it was in storage most of the time.

I don't have a motorcycle jack but I do have a car jack that I might be able to use to lift up and turn the wheel.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:34 PM

never heard of aligning forks? The bottom tubes will rotate 360* if the axles and fender is removed. Only other thing fork specific I can think of is if they are threaded into the top tree the same amount. Id look more at head bearings (test fall-away while on a jack) and rear wheel alignment. I can lock my throttle and ride pretty much as far as I want no handed (have done 5 miles) Bumps dont even affect my 1100.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but a mere 3/8" movement of your butt in the saddle can make the bike turn one direction or the other if you're riding without your hands on the bars...as can grooves in the road, the crown of the road, a slight breeze, or many other things.

IMO the only alignment that needs to be done is the rear wheel unless your forks are bent and in that case they need to be replaced.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode