Rust in the gas tank - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Rust in the gas tank

So, I got my 2008 1300 painted last year, terrible experience. The painter took forever and had to redo the gas tank and fender. As the tank sat in his shop aparently it built up condensation and now I am having an issue with rust blocking the pressure relief ball valve in the tank. Because of the blockage I have an over-pressure in my gas tank and gas is being forced out of the fill cap. I took the bike to the shop and they cleaned out the rust in the ball valve and it temporarily fixed the problem.

Well the problem is back, does anyone know of a way to solve a rust problem on the inside of a gas tank or have any ideas how to solve this kind of issue? Or am I screwed and am going to have to get a replacement tank. I can replace the pressure relief valve, but I have a feeling that the problem is going to continue unless I am able to find a solution. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 PM

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Solving this issue involves removing all the rust. The shop didn't or the problem wouldn't have come back. Some peeps use sand, others hardware nuts. I prefer to use steel BBs like the kind you shoot from a BB gun. Get it thoroughly cleaned and rinsed and then use something like Metal Rescue to remove the rust that remains. I'd steer clear of products that coat the tank as they can cause more problems that are near impossible to fix. Good luck.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 PM

I had a somewhat similar rust issue with an 84 Shadow I used to own. I was having the tank sandblasted for repainting and the guy pretty much on his own, blasted the inside and managed to take all the rust off. I owned that bike for a couple more years and the rust never came back.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 PM

this will remove the rust. Make sure you rinse it all out of the tank once done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/http-ww...6431-html.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode