Hard-ish start on v star 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Hard-ish start on v star 1100

Good afternoon all!

I'm loving the new bike, but got a quick question: When I'm starting it from cold, I always have to give the throttle the smallest twist to get the bike to crank. If I don't, it will turn, start, then putter back out when I let go of the starter (even with full choke). Once it starts, I drop to half choke after about 10 seconds, then no choke a couple mins later. It will run just fine once started as long as I don't drop from full-choke too quickly, and no issues otherwise.

Is this something to be concerned about? I know you don't want to use the throttle before it's warm as the oil and lubricants haven't had time to cycle yet. For background info: it has about 11,500 miles on it and Cobra exhaust (which sounds great by the way). The previous owner gave me a shop receipt showing the carbs were cleaned last June, and he said the oil was changed in February (but couldn't verify). Also, attached is a pic showing "full choke" as it will not move farther than that. It seems to me like the choke lever should open further, but I have no way to tell really. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140512_191621.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	29985  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM

DO NOT GIVE IT THROTTLE DURING STARTUP.giving throttle advances the timing which will cause the starter clutch to kick back,(clunk)starter clutch cost 500.00 plus 400.00 labor to replace....if you dont have a tach,you can try turning the idle knob up a bit,when starting hold the button down until it starts,give it a break and repeat.check out the Wkb
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Garage
Looks to me like your choke cable is out of adjustment. The choke button should move all the way to the left. I would first try lubricating the choke cable and if that doesn't work an adjustment would be the next step.

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 PM

I'm with Nick. the first thing to do is to check to see if you're idling at 950-1050 RPM. Once we know that for sure, we can move on to the next step if needed.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 04:02 PM

It's not a choke guys.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out. Any leads on where to get a tach? I've called about 20 different auto parts, hardware, tractor repair, and bike dealerships with no luck. Some act like I'm crazy for asking. No luck searching for the Yamaha part number listed in the V Star shop manual. I found one for a boat on Amazon, but it looks cheap and is made in China.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-MINI-...item4a9c5128d6this is the one ive been using for 3 years .also made in chinamaybe america will start making good stuff again,i know i would pay for quality
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 PM

Same one ^ Works good.

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Excellent, I've got one on the way! Thanks so much, I'll update as soon as I've got it done!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've got the tach in the mail. I'm thinking I will need to pull the gas tank to run tge wires. Did you guys have to do that? I'll need to study tthe shop manual as well to see where to connect everything. I've never had to wire stuff before, but willing to learn I guess. Does anyone know of a how-to video or instructions on how to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode