950T vs. 1300T vs. 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

950T vs. 1300T vs. 1100

Hi All,

Newbie here. I am considering to trade my 1500cc Goldwing and 800cc Suzuki C50T for a bike somewhere in between in size. I find the Goldwing too heavy and bulky for small road cruising and the C50T not sufficient for 55+ mph roads.

I'm considering the 950T, 1300T or even an older 1100. I want the smallest possible bike that still feels adequate, stable and smooth on 55+ mph roads (although I mainly ride on 35-45 mph roads). My C50T is geared much too low for my liking and feels "buzzy" (high rpms) at 55+ mph. I suppose some of that is because the Goldwing feels so smooth at those speeds.

So my questions are:
1. Which bike (950T, 1300T, etc.) will best meet my needs? Has anybody ridden both the Suzuki C50T and Star 950T to compare how they handle at highway speed?
2. Star 1300T vs. 1300T Deluxe: which windshield (batwing or lexan) provides the best wind protection against buffeting?
3. Is there a major insurance cost jump between the 950cc & 1300cc?
4. Do any Star models have self-cancel turn signals?
5. Has anybody seen passenger grab rails for Star models? My boy likes to ride with me once in awhile, but likes to hold onto something.

Thanks!
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 05:58 PM

i can't comment on the 1300 but i do ride the stryker which has the same engine as the 1300 and it has plenty of power and is smooth. my wife rides the 950t and loves the bike very stable and smooth and comfortable, i have rode it a few times and it is a nice bike. insurance would be cheeper on the 950t and it has no problems on the hwy.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:16 PM

I have the 1300 Deluxe. It has the power to handle the highways at 70+ mph. It is a long bike so it smooths things out some. For the size it handles easily. I live in a rural area with lots of small roads and plenty of curves. The 1300 handles well in the curves. My only minor issue is that with the hills I find that I either ride in 4th gear a lot or have to do a lot of shifting between 4th and 5th. After riding a Goldwing (which I test rode before buying) among the bikes you are looking the 1300 Deluxe will be the least change. It is still a big bike at around 100" long and pushing 700 pounds. Not downing the others on your list but I preferred the bigger bike.

One specific advantage as far as maintenance goes is the Deluxe is fuel injected. No choke and no carbs to fiddle with. Unless you like that kind of fiddling.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

Last edited by Slayer; 05-14-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I have the 1300 Deluxe. It has the power to handle the highways at 70+ mph. It is a long bike so it smooths things out some. For the size it handles easily. I live in a rural area with lots of small roads and plenty of curves. The 1300 handles well in the curves. My only minor issue is that with the hills I find that I either ride in 4th gear a lot or have to do a lot of shifting between 4th and 5th. After riding a Goldwing (which I test rode before buying) among the bikes you are looking the 1300 Deluxe will be the least change. It is still a big bike at around 100" long and pushing 700 pounds. Not downing the others on your list but I preferred the bigger bike.

One specific advantage as far as maintenance goes is the Deluxe is fuel injected. No choke and no carbs to fiddle with. Unless you like that kind of fiddling.
Thank you! How well does the batwing fairing on the Deluxe prevent wind buffeting? Does it work as well as the regular windshields and are lowers (fork deflectors) still needed?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

i believe the insurance jump starts at 1000cc's. can someone confirm?
i know the 950 has self-canceling signals.
i rode my 950 halfway across the country while keeping the needle above 90mph most of the way on the interstates. so it can handle 55mph+ roads just fine.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 PM

The fairing and windshield minimize the buffeting and wind noise very well. I don't have lowers on mine but may add them for cool weather. What wind and buffeting there is isn't uncomfortable. I don't get any noticeable head buffeting at all.

Insurance may be more but is very reasonable. I added the 1300 on the policy for my ATV. Comprehensive, liability etc is just over $400 for both per year.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 PM

I would recommend the 1300 easy handling, big bike ride with mid size feel, plenty of power, smooth at highway speeds. I prefer the 1300 over the 1100 for smoothness the 1100 is too buzzy. My wife has the 1100 and would like to get something smother on the highway, she has been looking at the HD Switchback. That might be another option to look at? I'm not familiar with the 950 all I know is that I had a friend that bought a new one and traded it in on a Royal Star.
Hope this helps some!

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 09:02 PM

I came from a 2007 Suzuki c50 a few years back, good bike, however i wanted a bike that could handle the interstates and everythiing in- between without being buzzy at higher speeds, the 1300 tourer fits the job as perfect as it can as an all around bike, from local roads to the interstate.
No bike can do everything, but if you want something lighter, sportier and easy to handle that wont get blown around on the road or by the semi's on the road, I would suggest the 1300 tourer, I have the med windshield on mine with memphis shades lowers, NEVER does my wife and I have buffeting at any speed that I travel at which is as high as 85 indicated on the interstates as a norm, lower speeds are more fun for sure.
Now at 17,000 plus miles its been rock solid and has not needed a repair. As with many metric bikes, a sixth gear would be nice but the 1300 gearing is tall so really not an issue.

I MAY one day go to an American sixth speed bike bit will always be a concern if i will enjoy it as much as my 1300.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your advice! I appreciate it. Please keep it coming.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
I came from a 2007 Suzuki c50 a few years back, good bike, however i wanted a bike that could handle the interstates and everythiing in- between without being buzzy at higher speeds, the 1300 tourer fits the job as perfect as it can as an all around bike, from local roads to the interstate.
No bike can do everything, but if you want something lighter, sportier and easy to handle that wont get blown around on the road or by the semi's on the road, I would suggest the 1300 tourer, I have the med windshield on mine with memphis shades lowers, NEVER does my wife and I have buffeting at any speed that I travel at which is as high as 85 indicated on the interstates as a norm, lower speeds are more fun for sure.
Now at 17,000 plus miles its been rock solid and has not needed a repair. As with many metric bikes, a sixth gear would be nice but the 1300 gearing is tall so really not an issue.

I MAY one day go to an American sixth speed bike bit will always be a concern if i will enjoy it as much as my 1300.
Great stuff! Thanks! Has the extra weight of 1300T (668-712 lbs curb weight depending on website) compared to C50T (611-644 lbs) impacted slow speed handling at all? Do you really even notice the extra weight?

Thanks also for info on gearing. That really bothered me with C50T, until I just recently had DJ Mod using VS1400 driveshaft. But it still feels rather light and underpowered on highway.

Last edited by GaryB; 05-15-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode