2002 V-Star 650 no fire rear plug - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

2002 V-Star 650 no fire rear plug

I brought a V-Star 650 last year, run great the first week or so then became hard to start, would run great after fooling around with choke and throttle to get it running,
Then it started to run on the front cylinder only, kick in on the rear once in a while, plus backfiring,
The trouble shooting started with changing the plugs, then the pickup test failed, was reading like 500 OHMS, changed the pickup, no better, next the coil and spark plug leads test Ok, did the negative ground test and got fire on rear cylinder, So from what I read here the CDI is defective, priced one at the Yamaha dealer at $680.00 plus tax, started looking on e-bay, found a used one for $150.00, order and put it on figuring my problems are over, no dice, runs a bit better with the e-bay CDI seems to run on rear without backfire and exhaust get hot, still no power or throttle response. no power. I have read most of the post here about this rear cylinder weak to no fire issue but no one post what has been done to fix it.
I have ordered a new Dyna 3000 CDI and a used set of coils hopefully it is the CDI because all the test point to this, any and all comments are welcome, sorry for the long post but I am pulling what little hair I have left out trying to fix this problem.

GSLMECH

Last edited by gslmech; 05-16-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

No spark on rear

I see there are a few post on the no fire on rear cylinder but no one post what the problem was, I have done all the coil test and have found nothing, could someone please reply that has found a fix for this problem

gslmech
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 05:21 PM

your first sentance said you got it running by moving the choke and throttle.i would look at it being a fuel problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

no sparkrear cylinder

Yes I had to play with the choke and throttle after I replaced the pickup coil it will start and run on the front cylinder without a problem, the rear cylinder has spark about half the time, I did clean the carbs I also syn the carbs. Not sure what to do next.

gslmech
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:52 AM

gslmech.... Did you ever resolve this issue? I am going through the same problem. Changed stator, pick up coil and CDI. Still no spark at rear plug.

Keep the rubber side down
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I believe after I changed everything that the original problem was a weak pickup coil, I ordered and installed a new pickup coil from M-stator in Quebec. rarer then thread the new wires from the pickup coil I cut them inside the cover, I sealed them with RTV and shrink wrap, tested and got the 180 OHMs at the connection under the seat which I did not have before, still weak to no fire on rear cylinder. Switched coils from front to back, no differences. Took it to my son and he did some testing and found that the coils + wire had been switched on both coils, this was done before I brought the bike, now I have weak fire on rear cylinder, this not running with any power, next he tested the two wires from the pickup coil under the seat, found out when I cut them, wire colour was different from old coil to new, when I soldered the together I got the mix up, we changed the connectors over under the seat and got full spark front and back cylinder.
So I guess the guy that had the bike before me changed the coil wire around, so the + coming from the ignition was on the wrong side of the coil causing weak fire, plus the weak pickup coil. This was a tough one to figure out, from the mistakes he made and the mistakes I made, I hope this helps you out. Do you have the picture showing which wire is what at the coils, if this is not right you will have very weak fire.

Last edited by gslmech; 09-22-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode