Oh dear god please help me - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Oh dear god please help me

So, I went to go start my 2000 650 Classic not even 10 minutes ago, and a HUGE backfire occurred, the bike didn't start, and the check engine light came on.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED

There seems to be a good amount of fuel left in there. At least in the reserve tank. It started 2 days ago no problem! The battery is new.
I am not mechanically inclined so I imagine this would have to go to a shop unless someone knows exactly what it is... Or it is a simple fix.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM

Have you tried to start it again?

You can check for fuel just take the headers off and look. Pull your spark plugs to and check them. Sounds like you might have been giving it gas and flooded the engine into the the pipes and bam....

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:18 PM

Garage
I agree with barman. You must of gave it gas when you tried to start it. These Star bikes don't ned the added gas when starting. In fact it can cause some damage to the starter clutch. Like barman asked, did you try to start it again?

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I tried starting it again and for some reason it just started up no problem.

A few things though:

1) The check engine light still flashes on, but then it disappears. Could all of this just mean low fuel? I can hear a decent amount still sloshing inside the tank.
Also, I don't ever rev the throttle when I start up my bike.
2) The bike runs rather richly. I can smell the semi-strong smell of fuel when the bike is idling/warming up. Could the carbs be the issue?
My father rode bikes for YEARS and he said that its probably the carbs that need to be adjusted.
3) The idle in neutral on this thing does not sound OR feel good. It pretty much sounds like it's going to die when it is idling, even after being warmed up for 5 minutes if it even manages to start up.

Last edited by mazeofmystery; 05-19-2014 at 03:50 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:00 PM

It sounds like its idling to low. 1k rpm for idle on the 650 1100s.

Also, the check engine light is normal operation when starting its suppose to come on and flash and then shut off. I am going to take it this is probably your first bike. So a little info will be useful. Smelling fuel you are running way to rich you need to pull your spark plugs and check them out and probably replace them for good mearure. Also, check your carb for gunk if your float is stuck open you are going to flood the engine period. Google 650 carb cleaning and learn from either youtube or write ups if you don't want to take it to someone.

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman84 View Post
It sounds like its idling to low. 1k rpm for idle on the 650 1100s.

Also, the check engine light is normal operation when starting its suppose to come on and flash and then shut off. I am going to take it this is probably your first bike. So a little info will be useful. Smelling fuel you are running way to rich you need to pull your spark plugs and check them out and probably replace them for good mearure. Also, check your carb for gunk if your float is stuck open you are going to flood the engine period. Google 650 carb cleaning and learn from either youtube or write ups if you don't want to take it to someone.
Yeah, this is my first bike :P
Well, I still have a month of warranty on this bike since I got it from a dealership. Should they be the ones that would have to get this running properly?

Secondly, if I DID try to do the modifications and repairs myself, is it possible to completely mess up my bike?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Garage
Choke is off, right?

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
Choke is off, right?
Yep. It sure is. (love that 10 character minimum XD)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeofmystery View Post
Yeah, this is my first bike :P
Well, I still have a month of warranty on this bike since I got it from a dealership. Should they be the ones that would have to get this running properly?

Secondly, if I DID try to do the modifications and repairs myself, is it possible to completely mess up my bike?
The naswer to question one is yes

the answer to question two is yes

But you only learn by trying and sometimes it cost you and sometimes it doesn't. I am a firm believer people should wrench on their own bikes because being stuck on the side of the road with a bag of tool and zero know how gets you now were.

I have had to work on a carb that kept sticking on the side of the highway before I would have been lost if I hadn't of learned how.

Best advice find a cool shop to hangout at and buy some parts from them. Make sure they are cool build a friendship with the mechanics and when yo have problems they tend to help you out without a lot of fuss...

Prime example there is a chopper shop around the corner from my house. I bring a 6 pack with me when I visit. I had a bad float in my roadstar last weekend took the carb to them to see if they could help find a replaement and they hooked me up for free. Not only that they cleaned my carb top to bottom for nothing well 20 minutes of their time some beers and some BS about whatever.

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:56 PM

No time like the present to become "mechanically inclined" whatever that means.

There's plenty of sources of information on how to clean and adjust carbs on a bike. The best place to start is a good service manual.

It is like a big puzzle with directions (i.e. Service manual). Follow the directions and you will come out with a fixed bike. As suggested above, it doesn't hurt to have a friend or good acquaintance with some bike repair experience.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode