Adding 12V Charger Outlet (or USB) w Ignition - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Adding 12V Charger Outlet (or USB) w Ignition

Adding a 12V or USB charge outlet straight to the battery is a relatively easy task. However, I'd like to have this outlet on a keyed circuit so it's only active when the ignition is on.

Has anyone seen any instructions specific to the V Star for this?

2008 V Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 AM

I just purchased a kit for my bike, I was going to take the power off the front running lights (connections in the headlight) but held back. In thinking about it, I dont think a cell phone or GPS will draw enough to blow a fuse or dim the lights, I held back in order to study the bikes electrical system.
When I added one to my KLR I set up a small relay on the running lights that would turn on the power port when the ignition was on. I could then take the power directly off the battery through the relay and inline fuse, later on I added heated grips and made use of the same relay, that way I could be sure they would turn off when the bike was off.
When I figure something out I will post again. Interested in hearing how others are wiring in power ports.

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 PM

You're pretty much there, Vstarlindy. The switch portion of a 12v relay consumes very low power, while the real current to drive your accessories comes right off the battery. A typical Bosch relay will handle as much power as you'll reasonably expect any accessory to safely draw from the electrical system.

This article is not specific to the VStar, but it doesn't really need to be. You just have to tap into a circuit that's already switched, and your running light is a great candidate.

http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea33 View Post
You're pretty much there, Vstarlindy. The switch portion of a 12v relay consumes very low power, while the real current to drive your accessories comes right off the battery. A typical Bosch relay will handle as much power as you'll reasonably expect any accessory to safely draw from the electrical system.

This article is not specific to the VStar, but it doesn't really need to be. You just have to tap into a circuit that's already switched, and your running light is a great candidate.

http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

Excellent picture, thank you

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode