Still Having Trouble Starting. Sad, But Getting Ready To Throw In The Towel. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Still Having Trouble Starting. Sad, But Getting Ready To Throw In The Towel.

Not gonna lie, I'm right choked.

I've had my bike (2000 V-Star 650 Classic) for about two weeks now, and since then I have been able to successfully ride the damn thing ONCE.
This bike REFUSES to start properly. I have had the carbs looked at, put in a new battery (even got a trickle charger),
was instructed by a licensed professional on how to properly start this specific bike, and still won't frickin' work.
I turned it on maybe an hour ago, and i heard a weird buzzing/clicking combination of a sound when I turned the key (Almost like this:
).
Then when I pressed the starter, it started for a sec, and died (even with FULL CHOKE). I can rev the bugger as much as I want when it is warming up, but it does squat all.
It will die momentarily if I don't constantly rev the damn thing. The bike has 6,700KM on it. The only 2 things I can think of are the fuel pump and the starter relay.

Please help me. I WANT TO RIDE.

Last edited by mazeofmystery; 05-24-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 03:32 AM

Can the dealer start and ride it OK? If they aren't physically looking at it and putting their hands on it, they should be. Just don't run out of time for the warranty you previously specified. Put it in their hands and let them fix it. You could have a loose ground, blown diaphragms, clogged or otherwise hindered fuel line, fouled plugs, or a host of other issues. Ride it, walk it, tow it, or throw it in the back of a friend's pickup. Who cares if they've already seen it. Let them see it again. It's better than guessing and just getting PO'd over it. Let them demonstrate to you what a perfectly running bike you have.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 07:36 AM

If it won't idle, it's either a plugged pilot jet or idle is set too low. Both easy fixes.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:09 AM

The man has started two threads:

Oh dear god please help me
and
Still Having Trouble Starting. Sad, But Getting Ready To Throw In The Towel

When you're that frustrated, nothing is easy and every tweak you make generally makes things worse. The fresh eyes could do him a lot of good, especially for a simple fix. My opinion, of course.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 10:01 AM

If you just bought it and the dealer gave you a warranty like sparkn mentioned I wouldn't touch a thing on it. Take it to them and make them fix it. And like sparkn said make them start it and demonstrate it running properly. Then ride it before you sign any paperwork saying its repaired. You admitted in the first thread that you are new to bikes, so no offense but if you mess something up they might blame it on you then you are really screwed.
Stop stressing yourself out and let theym fix it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the multiple threads guys, I was just super frustrated.
I got my mechanic to come over, and once he finally got it started somehow, he opened up the throttle.
There was LOTS of popping. He said that it was like someone was just opening the throttle while the bike was sitting (IE Neighbour kids that should NOT be on my ride acting like bikers.) and flooded the damn thing.
Looks like I'll be putting a canvas over my bike from now on.

Thanks for answering my whiny threads guys haha.

I don't suppose there's such a thing as a throttle lock?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 03:24 PM

Yes, there is a throttle lock. Not exactly what you're thinking of, but it might help. They are designed to lock the throttle position while riding to allow you to relax your right hand while maintaining throttle position. The right one may act as a deterrent, but you'd have to make sure it was released before starting up.

I really hope that's all it was. Good luck with the neighbor kids.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeofmystery View Post
I got my mechanic to come over, and once he finally got it started somehow, he opened up the throttle.
There was LOTS of popping. He said that it was like someone was just opening the throttle while the bike was sitting and flooded the damn thing.
There is no throttle pump in these carburetors. You cant twist it till the cows come home and it wont put one drop of gas in it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:35 PM

I was thinking the same thing about no accelerator pump but wasn't certain. But not only that, if you or anyone did something to flood it a day or so ago, that fuel would have evaporated in a little while and not have any effect trying to start it today. No offense to the OP but something here doesn't make sense. At this point either we aren't getting the full story or your "mechanic" is telling you anything to get rid of you and avoid fixing the problem. Was this mechanic sent from the dealership you purchased the bike from of just someone you know? Again my advise is take it to the dealer and let them fix it or show you how to properly operate it. I'm not trying to poke and piss you off. If you don't know you don't know and you can't help that. We all have to learn when we begin something new.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
I was thinking the same thing about no accelerator pump but wasn't certain. But not only that, if you or anyone did something to flood it a day or so ago, that fuel would have evaporated in a little while and not have any effect trying to start it today. No offense to the OP but something here doesn't make sense. At this point either we aren't getting the full story or your "mechanic" is telling you anything to get rid of you and avoid fixing the problem. Was this mechanic sent from the dealership you purchased the bike from of just someone you know? Again my advise is take it to the dealer and let them fix it or show you how to properly operate it. I'm not trying to poke and piss you off. If you don't know you don't know and you can't help that. We all have to learn when we begin something new.
He was from the dealership. The thing is the bike works fine now, and I didn't touch the bike in any way shape or form and there was indeed excess fuel in the bike. Could that mean there is another possible problem? I'm telling you everything I know. I want help and I know I'm inexperienced. If I did something wrong I wouldn't mind being told so haha. I want to learn and that's why I'm here!

If it is any consellation, I just went riding for around 4 hours, and practiced my slow speed skills for a while too. Literally one of the best feelings I have ever had!

And thank you guys for trying to help me. I really do appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode