still having problems with vstar 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

still having problems with vstar 1100

I posted earlier asking about ignition module but i think i have side tracked the thread with too many variables. so lets try this again. I have a 2007 vstar 1100 that i have changed to vance and hines slip ons, rejetted the carb, and removed the ais system. for the first few weeks after doing all this work the bike seemed to run great. two weeks ago i forgot to turn the ignition off and left for a few hours. when i got home the battery was completely dead and i tried to boost the battery to get it running. the boost didnt work and i went a bought a trickle charger and charged the battery. after giving it a second charge it seemed to be running a little rough. I noticed at higher speeds that if i accelerated it would gutter and get loud not producing much power. /this has gotten progressively worse until now it does it everytime i accelerate some times quite a bit and others just a little. \any help would be greatly appreciated. i have changed the plugs, checked the fuel cock removing it from the tank and flushing out the tank. tried running it without air filter to see if it was an airflow issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:28 PM

Are sure that the pipe and jetting changes are part of the problem? from looking at the other thread, the two may be unrelated. It doesn't make sense that your bike ran good after the change, then after attempting a jump start with the booster the problem started.
Buy the Yamaha service manual, (I have it on DVD and a real book)
get the multi electrical tester ( Radio Shack) and work your way through the system, probably the only way you are going to get to the root of the matter.
Are you friendly with the local dealer? I would try to pick one of the mechanics brains if they will help. ( I personally dont use the dealer mechanics, but they do know the bikes)

Is it possible that, when you re-jetted the carbs that some debris was floating around in there and finally made its way into a bad place? ( I am inclined to think this is not it)

Have you checked the battery that it is still good? I am new to the Vstar myself, but I use to have a 81 GPz1100, it was fuel injected and therefore had something of a computer. If the battery could not deliver a full 12 volts it would not run right. I would charge it up, it would crank up and run, however because the battery was weak and old it would run down and start misfiring, no power and eventually left me stranded.

I would have that battery checked, and start working through the ignition system to make sure it is all working properly.
Without hearing or seeing the bike, that is the route I would take.
Best to you.
I see that you did flush the tank. My bad for speedreading.

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”

Last edited by Vstarlindy; 05-24-2014 at 08:37 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Garage
Adrian, just a few questions to try and narrow your issue down. When you boosted your bike from the other vehicle, was the other vehicle running? This could of fried some of the electronics because a car/truck alternator would give out to much power for what the bike could handle. When you rejetted, did you sync the carbs? This might seem a bit odd but are your AIS holes still pluged? Did you clean out the carbs when you had them out?

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Hi Vstarlindy, funny enough i just came in from hooking up a trickle charge to the battery as I just had the same thought. If that doesnt work I am going to pull the carb tomorrow and open it up to make sure that there is nothing blocking the jets.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianinottawa View Post
Hi Vstarlindy, funny enough i just came in from hooking up a trickle charge to the battery as I just had the same thought. If that doesnt work I am going to pull the carb tomorrow and open it up to make sure that there is nothing blocking the jets.
I would also do what Corsair suggested, several of my friends own the V stars (helped me make my decision) they have told me that the carb sync is important. I have the mercury tubes for this ( real old) one of my friends made his own, I will see if if got the idea of the net and try to get a link. Maybe you have it yourself.
I hope you find a simple problem.
best to you.

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Hey Corsair yes I think it was and I am trickle charging tonight to see if it is the battery not holding it's charge. After that not sure what to start with on the electronics. What do you mean with sync the carbs, that was never mentioned in the instructions I found
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:53 PM

what did the plugs look like
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

oh that would have been good to post. The plugs were fairly clean I replaced them while I had them out.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 PM

Garage
Adrian, syncronizing the carbs together. If you go to the link in my sign block, find the carb sync section. It's a fairly straight forward and easy thing to do. I made my own syncronizer but you could also buy one. Took me about 15 mins the first time I did it. I'll take pics of my set up tomorrow and post them here or pm to you.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Adrian, syncronizing the carbs together. If you go to the link in my sign block, find the carb sync section. It's a fairly straight forward and easy thing to do. I made my own syncronizer but you could also buy one. Took me about 15 mins the first time I did it. I'll take pics of my set up tomorrow and post them here or pm to you.
I just saw a really piss poor video on it but I get it. I'm a gas fitter so I have a couple of digital manometers. I am sure its worth syncing them to even out the performance but I dont think this is whats causing the issue. The bike is stripped down pretty good in the driveway right now so I will get on it in the morning. I have the carb opened up to see if it was clean and it seemed to be. The battery is on trickle charge so tomorrow I will sync the carbs and then hopefully if the battery charge helps too i will know i can bet on changing the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode