speedometer is off by 5 MPH at 60 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Question speedometer is off by 5 MPH at 60

so, the title pretty well speaks for itself...

when the speedo says 60, im only doing 55. when the speedo says 40, im only doing 38 (according to the signs they put on the sides of the road). the question I have here is this: how can I fix this? the tire is the proper size (I thought that it may be a smaller circumference which would make the speedo off etc, but it is the correct size) since its all electronic etc, I have no clue how to fix the speedo... any ideas?

1999 V-Star 1100 Custom with driver backrest, all studded leather (seats, bags, backrests, etc), hole saw exhaust mod (1-7/8" hole bit), windshield, MaxAir Engineering air intake (pod filters with crossover), Jet kit with predator needles (145 and 142.5 main jets and 117.5 pilots), fuel/air mixture thumb screws, Linby Linbar highway bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 11:37 PM

That's normal for many motorcycles.

I've always heard good thing about SpeedoHealers. According to their website they have a setup that works with the 1100s...Kind of pricey, at least $120, but those 2-5 mph may be worth it to you

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

I don't think im willing to put over 100 bucks into that issue... not when I know its off pretty consistantly

1999 V-Star 1100 Custom with driver backrest, all studded leather (seats, bags, backrests, etc), hole saw exhaust mod (1-7/8" hole bit), windshield, MaxAir Engineering air intake (pod filters with crossover), Jet kit with predator needles (145 and 142.5 main jets and 117.5 pilots), fuel/air mixture thumb screws, Linby Linbar highway bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

there are alternatives to correct it for about $40. google "motorcycle speedo correction"

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:08 PM

I make a mental note of the difference, and compensate accordingly, or rely on my GPS. I will only break that out when I am hopelessly lost or absolutely need to be on time going to a new location.

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

after checking them out, I think i'll just stick with remembering that it's off by 5 mph. I usually run about 5 over anyway, so no big deal either way. I like the thought of the new speedo face, but not thrilled with actually installing it lol

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 PM

Garage
Turns out this is pretty common with the 950 series. My 2013 is off by 10% and so is my buddy's 2011. Sure you can compensate for it but what bothers me the most is it's adding miles to the odometer that the bike isn't travelling. And yes, I've checked this against other bikes to verify.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:14 AM

My 2009 950T is about 5 MPH lower at 55 MPH radar. So does that mean that I am clocking less miles???
I just take it as s comfort zone when I am doing about 5 MPH over the posted I am actually spot on. (;-)

V-Star 950 T, Liquid Silver
Vista Cruse Control
Home Made Lowers
ISO Grips
Ultimate Seats all-round
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 08:03 AM

First thing I would do is take it somewhere and have it calibrated. You need to know exactly where it is before you go making changes and adjustments.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:33 AM

A few years ago I did a comparison between my bike's speedometer and my GPS. I found that the error was progressive. With the following being GPS speeds: At 30 mph the bike showed less than 1 mph high. At 45 it was slightly over one mph high. At 55 mph it was 2 mph high. At 65 it was 3 mph high and at 75 it was four mph high. I just mentally take it as a margin for keeping myself out of trouble with the law.

For what it's worth, the speedometers in my pickup, car and motorhome also read slightly higher than my GPS speed.

I've validated these findings using several GPS receivers.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode