Buffeting and Lowers that work vs. don't work - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Buffeting and Lowers that work vs. don't work

Happy Memorial Day folks,

I'm preparing to pick up my Star 1300 Tourer sometime in the next few days or weekend. Since I'll have a 250 mile interstate ride home, I wanted to order some lowers to prevent buffeting on the way home.

As for options, I notice there are Memphis shades lowers and fork deflectors (fork deflectors are larger), Buck's lowers, and Yamaha lowers (see http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/6570...-950-1300.aspx )

Which lowers have you found to work well vs. which didn't (I'm not tooled up to make my own). I don't want anything that I need to retrofit (drill, etc.) to make work. Any tricks to reducing buffeting (other than removing the windshield)? I've searched through some threads and notice some have tilted the windshield backwards, but I think that requires special drilling.

Thanks!

Last edited by GaryB; 05-26-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 AM

I had the Memphis Shade fork deflectors on my 2012 1300 Tourer. They work awesome. 80+ mph and hardly any wind turbulence. I had the stock windshield on. When I ordered mine the Memphis Shades site did not show that they would fit above a 2009 1300 if I remember correctly, but they fit perfectly. I also had the Yammy passing lights and they fit with them as well. Pull the plug, put them on, and you won't regret it.

http://www.memphisshades.com/applica...ork-deflectors

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes

Last edited by tigrzeye; 05-26-2014 at 02:10 PM.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrzeye View Post
I had the Memphis Shade fork deflectors on my 2012 1300 Tourer. They work awesome. 80+ mph and hardly any wind turbulence. I had the stock windshield on. When I ordered mine the Memphis Shades site did not show that they would fit above a 2009 1300 if I remember correctly, but they fit perfectly. I also had the Yammy passing lights and they fit with them as well. Pull the plug, put them on, and you won't regret it.
Thank you!

I already have these fork deflectors from another bike (Suzuki C50T):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are these what you're talking about? I wasn't sure if these fork deflectors will fit any bike and it's just the mounting kit that differs from model to model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 01:56 PM

Yep the deflectors are all the same. The mounting hardware is model specific. Memphis Shades has a terrible website as far as updates. They are still only listing that the deflectors hardware will only work on 2007-2009 1300 models. That hasn't changed since last year when I got mine. Half the links for Yammy products didn't work either. What a shame everything I have ever gotten from them is great.

Here is the Yamaha Application chart at Memphis Shades:

http://www.memphisshades.com/applica...ork-deflectors

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes

Last edited by tigrzeye; 05-27-2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: added MS link
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:19 PM

I've been looking to get some myself, but Memphis Shades/Parts Canada won't respond to any of my emails...def need them on my 1300 Tourer!
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM

I have the Memphis shades I put on this spring and wish I had done it sooner .

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, folks!
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 PM

I was finally able to find a place to order them...thanks to this thread and the info provided by tigrzeye. Compatibility charts only went to 2009, so based on what was said here, I felt safe ordering the parts for my 2013 model since they worked on a 2012.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 04:49 AM

Fork deflectors

I not sure how everyone else is getting such good results since I put the lowers on and still have an unsatisfactory amount of buffeting.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobob View Post
I not sure how everyone else is getting such good results since I put the lowers on and still have an unsatisfactory amount of buffeting.
I installed a set of Yamaha OEM lower deflectors and while it's a 90% improvement, I still get some buffeting. At highway speeds, my head no longer feels like its being used as a punching bag from all the buffeting. Now, I'm getting hit in the lower chest/stomach area but nowhere near as hard as it was hitting me before. I can live with this. On a side note, the air flow has definetly changed, while riding with my light jacket on the other day, the air was pushing up under it and billowing it out, which it never did before. Kind of imagine I looked like the Michelin man all puffed up like that.lol
Red Whine and Red Whine like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode