Dropped Bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Dropped Bike

Well I dropped bike and broke a couple ribs. Talk about hurt, not much damage to bike, couple scratches on front finder and running lit.
I was going to stop at a pull off and didn't notice that, when they repaved the road, they left a 4 in drop off. I was able to pick it up (not bad being 67 years old and still pick up a 1100 ) ride home. Wife is ready for me to give up riding, but we'll see who wins on this subject.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Garage
Hay Jack don't get in a habit of short breathing with them hurt ribs.
Good thing is your here to type it out for us. You can always add one more wheel.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:29 PM

Rusty I'm glad your ok. I hope you are feeling better soon. I hope you can wait a bit before discussing if you keep riding. Although I haven't had a bike injury yet, other accidents seem to look smaller after a few months and I'm feeling better. So you never know how you and your wife might feel in a month or two. You both may be planning a road trip. Time really does help I think. Anyway I hope your ribs heal soon and you're up and about.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:40 PM

Hey Rusty, sorry to hear about you dropping your ride. Congrats on getting picked up by yourself. Your right not bad for 67 or any age for that matter with hurt ribs! Hope you and the misses can come to terms and be riding off into the sunset together soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Being still a newbie, maybe I don't have much worth saying, but...

I too have not dropped a motorcycle. My worst injuries have all been on pedal bicycles. The worst of all was 19 years ago, going over the handlebars on a down hill run on a rain soaked road. After plastic surgery on my face, two nights in the hospital, and a few weeks off the bike, I tried a ride into town. When it started raining, I got so nervous I had to get off and walk! But a couple more rides, and I was "back in the saddle again."

You're the one who has to make the decision (with your sweetheart, of course), but my 2 cents: give it a couple of good tries. You'll likely be glad you did.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 PM

Garage
Glad you are able to tell us about your spill and being able to pick it up with broken ribs. Either you are in a lot better shape than I am or the adrenaline was really pumping. I'll be 67 soon and I'm not thinking I'd be lifting up my 1100. Our orayers are for you to heal quick and then decide on the future.

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty b View Post
Well I dropped bike and broke a couple ribs. Talk about hurt, not much damage to bike, couple scratches on front finder and running lit.
I was going to stop at a pull off and didn't notice that, when they repaved the road, they left a 4 in drop off. I was able to pick it up (not bad being 67 years old and still pick up a 1100 ) ride home. Wife is ready for me to give up riding, but we'll see who wins on this subject.

Jack
That sucks. Glad it wasn't worse.

Would you mind walking us through what happened and what you might have been able to do differently, if anything, to save it?

Thanks
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 PM

Hang in there Rusty. Im 7o and still hangin on to the bars like crazy. Just give yourself and your ribs some good amount of time before you throw your leg over the saddle. As for your misses, she will be alright. When your pain is gone, her fear will go away, too. Trust me. Hang in and keep the rubber side down.

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I really don't know how it happen. The only thing I can think of is I came off the payment at the wrong angle and when the front tire hit the gravel I just lost it. I don't know if I normally could pick it up, I do know it scared the crap out of me and hurt like I never hurt before.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 PM

So glad the damage to you and the bike was minor. Heal completely and quickly!

Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode