V star 1100 starting/idle problems - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

V star 1100 starting/idle problems

Hi,

I'm new here and just got my first bike...a 2003 yamaha v star 1100 custom. It has 10100 miles on it and I just got it saturday. Started and ran perfectly when I went to check it out.

But the next day It was giving me problems starting and stalling at idle. It would eventually sputter out and stall and the idle was really slow. I tried all amounts of "choke" eventually getting it to start but it kept getting worse to the point where I had to stay on the gas at stop lights to keep from stalling...also any amount of choke above 1/4 to none normally puts out black exhaust.

I checked the spark plugs and they were jet black. Put new ones in fired right up and ran great...however 50 miles later they are now black and each time I start it, it gets a little harder to start. It also seems like I don't have a lot of power on 3/4-full throttle, however all other ranges seem fine.

One last thing, before I changed the spark plugs it was running really rough and wanted to stall below 10mph in 1st and 12ish in 2nd. The new spark plugs fixed this though.

I'm thinking it is running rich and needs to be rejetted...however I don't want to dive into doing this right away if it may be something else...

thoughts? I just want to ride!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:47 PM

if its been jetted the carb screws have been changed so the hard part is over take them apart
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkirwan View Post
Hi,

I'm new here and just got my first bike...a 2003 yamaha v star 1100 custom. It has 10100 miles on it and I just got it saturday. Started and ran perfectly when I went to check it out.

But the next day It was giving me problems starting and stalling at idle. It would eventually sputter out and stall and the idle was really slow. I tried all amounts of "choke" eventually getting it to start but it kept getting worse to the point where I had to stay on the gas at stop lights to keep from stalling...also any amount of choke above 1/4 to none normally puts out black exhaust.

I checked the spark plugs and they were jet black. Put new ones in fired right up and ran great...however 50 miles later they are now black and each time I start it, it gets a little harder to start. It also seems like I don't have a lot of power on 3/4-full throttle, however all other ranges seem fine.

One last thing, before I changed the spark plugs it was running really rough and wanted to stall below 10mph in 1st and 12ish in 2nd. The new spark plugs fixed this though.

I'm thinking it is running rich and needs to be rejetted...however I don't want to dive into doing this right away if it may be something else...

thoughts? I just want to ride!!!
About "re-jetting". What size pilots and mains are in there now? Without that bit of info and knowing absolutely nothing about the bikes history, we're just making wild guesses. Get yourself a Yamaha Shop Manual and start doing some diagnostics or get it into a shop and let them take a look. It really could be a dozen different things.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 06:01 PM

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM

Garage
Mick's right. You need to tell us a bit more about your bike. Was it sitting for a long time before you got it? Is the AIS still connected? What jets are installed? Lots of questions eh. It may be worth your while just to bring it at the shop and have them look at it. If not, get us the info and we'll do our best to help out.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

The guy I bought it from said he had it rejetted about 3 years ago. He put about 1000 miles on it a year over 4 years. I'm not sure if it was sitting for a while...I asked him how often he rode it but I can't remember what he said. Also, the pipes either aren't stock or have all the baffles completely removed. The previous owner said they were stock but I don't think they are. I'll get some pics tonight.

I'm not sure what jets are in there. Will I be able to tell if I pull them apart?

Not sure about the AIS I'll take a look at it tonight. I found a shop manual online so I'll use that. Air filter looked clean but I'll take a look at it again.

***correction*** the old owner never had it rejetted, just cleaned, although he didn't know if a previous owner did, he thought they were probably stock though.

Last edited by bkirwan; 05-29-2014 at 01:48 PM.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Sounds like you definitely have a carb issue. I'm guessing it way too rich for whatever reason and that's what's fouling your plugs. I will agree with everyone else here in that you need to either find out how to do it yourself and tear into it or pay someone else that does. From my experience being a newby I would suggest pay someone. I just finished chasing down a carb issue myself. Thought I knew what I was doing but turns out I didn't. Glad to know my mechanic did.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:42 PM

If you take off the bowls of the carb you will be able too. It will say right on the jet, real tiny.

As for the AIS, If you still have those large silver/chrome pipes running along the outside of the bike, you probably still have it installed. Some people do a quick fix to disable it ( check here; http://www.vstar1100.com/jack_phelps/vstar/ais.htm ) so the previous owner(s) may have done that. You should be able to check by simply removing the left side cover.

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF

Last edited by BP03; 05-29-2014 at 03:45 PM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I'd like to rejet it myself if that is most likely the problem.

AIS is still on and intact.

I think the exhaust are cobra exhaust but I'm not sure. I also tried to get a picture of the inside. The guy before me installed a baffle to pass MD state inspection.

There also seemed to be a little gas coming out of the exhaust from the front. If I put my hand behind it I get little black droplets on it. The first spark plug I took out also had some gas or oil on the threads.

I'm not sure if the air filter is too dirty, Any suggestions on how to clean it w/o compressed air?

It looks like the problem is the spark p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1524.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	31441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	31449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1532.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	31457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	31465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	31473  

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 PM

Yeah..Honestly, You're gonna have to go into the carbs to get anywhere I think. It's alot easier than you'd expect.

Wild ass guess - I think the previous owner rejetted....and now the pilot jet has loosened and fell into the bowl. . Ask me how i know about that one. lol. But there could be several reasons, definitely gotta check the jet sizes and PMS setting.

Filter looks alright. Exhaust looks like Cobra like you said...Maybe Hard Krome.

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF

Last edited by BP03; 05-29-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode